You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Tom resumes reading all the Bolo Household Manga Collection (spoilers)

User Info: Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil
1 month ago#1
So since I work primarily at a school, every year I have had a tradition of having B8 help me pick a summer project to help fill out the extra time, and settling on something that takes me way longer than a summer to complete. (still working on my Stardew Valley LP from 2017 lol) Last year I started reading through all of my and Wifebolo's combined manga stash in alphabetical order, got as far as "Demon," and ran out of time to update regularly. I bet I can get significantly farther this time! I'll be aiming for about five books a week, roughly. You'll get plot summaries, a rating, and maybe some pics.

@5tarscream was the main one reading last year

so I have picked up a few manga in the last 9 months or so, but not many of them come before where I had gotten in the alphabet. One that DOES however, is

The Ancient Magus' Bride Vol 1 of 1
Story and Art: Kore Yamazaki
https://i.imgtc.ws/qGAYpGa.jpg

Chise Hatori is a 15-year-old who is bought at an auction. Off to a good start. >_> Her purchaser is a magus- magic and monsters and stuff are apparently rare but existent in this world, and she is one of the few who can see creatures and stuff. She was ostracized and abandoned by everybody up until this Elias Ainsworth guy bought her. She is a "sleigh beggy," which I'm assuming means "human who can see creatures" or possibly "weird localization." Elias teleports them home, frees Chise from her manacles, and takes her on as an apprentice.

We take a bath and meet some fairies, which Elias calls Ariels. A Sleigh Beggy is actually like a queen bee for faeries, or something. One tricks her into a walk in the woods and tries to get her to come to the Fairy Kingdom. She decides against staying with them because she was welcome in Elias' home. She goes home with him and by the way he's going to marry her later.

We go into town and meet Angelica: a craftswitch and mom. She tries to teach Chise her first magic, but as a Sleigh Beggy, Chise has soaked up so much magic that she can only use it in large bursts, so she overdoes the spell. We also learn that Chise's mother is dead.

Simon Cullum, the priest, has a few favors to ask, in exchange for some sort of continued smoothing-over with the church. To Iceland! We meet some dude and some Earth Dragons. We bond with the eldest, who is about to pass on and become a tree. We get to bond with him and think about death and life and stuff.

Now we're on a train, being summoned to see the King of Cats. They get smarter with each of their nine lives, don'cha know. Apparently Elias taking an apprentice is a big deal, because by now we've had like five different minor characters react strongly to the news, having learned about it previously through the grapevine. King Molly needs some help with a seal on a blight- the Kings of Cats have been keeping some ickiness sealed there for a long time after they killed a guy who murdered them. Some dude grabs Chise and chucks her in the lake around the seal, and she has a flashback to the cat-killer's life. He and his wife seem perfectly normal, and his wife asks Chise to purify them.

I am having a really hard time pinning down the time frame of this setting- the faeries were calling America the New World and we haven't really seen tech of , but we also have trains and Elias just mentioned computers. Elias puts Chise in charge of purifying the thing because it's not his strong suit...but she gets kidnapped by Dude in a Suit and Dude From Before!

My rating: 6/10
I dunno, I wanted to get more exposition faster, but they are going the "main character doesn't know anything and neither do you" route. I saw a bit of the anime and liked it, but I think it started further along in the story? This didn't do a whole lot for me. :\ And the relationship kinda creeps me out since she is way younger and not necessarily on board.
https://imgtc.com/i/uWMMlnN.png
Tone yo' flab
(edited 1 month ago)

Tom Bombadil
1 month ago#2
whoops forgot to track this

updates SHOULD start in earnest today but they def will in a week when school is actually out
Tone yo' flab

User Info: Maniac64

Maniac64
1 month ago#3
Huh. I saw a commercial for the anime of that on crunchyroll yesterday
"Hope is allowed to be stupid, unwise, and naive." ~Sir Chris

Tom Bombadil
1 month ago#4
we watched an episode or two of the anime and liked it

I think it started after she was already kinda settled in maybe?
Tone yo' flab

User Info: Maniac64

Maniac64
1 month ago#5
No idea. Wife and I are watching one piece and it is one of the shows advertised.
"Hope is allowed to be stupid, unwise, and naive." ~Sir Chris

Tom Bombadil
1 month ago#6
Demon Diary Vol. 4 (of 5?)
Story: Lee Yun Hee
Art: Kara
https://i.imgtc.ws/BAoDKlq.jpg

This is (approximately?) where we left off last time! Let's see how much I can remember of the plot: this kid has become the next big fancy demon lord, but he is a male moeblob, and everybody is confused why his badass big-deal mentor is wasting his time with him. Vaguely yaoi vibes ensue in a Disgaea-ish setting as the kid tries to live up to the expectations, and now he's actually starting to develop his demon side or something and his predecessor is getting mysteriously involved despite being dead. There's a rather incompetent female demon hunter that has wound up as his vassal, a young priest or something, some seer lady, and I wanna say an evil book that corrupted the kid? Something like that OKAY THUMBS UP LET'S DO THIS.

The particularly fabulous Demon Lord Krayon has come to challenge our boi Raenef V, or at least complain about his stupid name. He zots Raenef and the sidekick squad into some demon's dream and has cryptic backstory chats with Eclipse the Strong Mentor Guy. I think I read this one but I can use a refresher anyway. Krayon allows Eclipse to visit Merushae the seer for help, which is a last resort for him since he can't handle her very well. It turns out to be HER dream they're stuck in, but they need Krayon's permission to leave because dreams are his thing. Also, Raenef IV shows up in the background for what I believe to be the first time.

It's time for a showdown with "Demon Lord Fancy-Pants!" We're on his home turf though, so Raenef's fledgeling powers don't even work. Eclipse shows up to tank, but here even he can't hold up for long. Raenef IV freezes time and tells Krayon to let everybody go, and he does so. Apparently Raenef IV doesn't want V to "awaken" yet. Dude's supposed to be dead, so Merushae and Krayon decide they should have some sort of demon council. Raenef V is getting frustrated that he is just a liability and an embarrassment to Eclipse, and wants to be a true demon lord....which is the perfect cue for a friendly little book to offer to awaken that power. Well that couldn't possibly be a bad thing, so sure. Raenef is now all cocky and tyrannical, which is kinda what we all wanted but also kinda weird and suspicious. He's going to crash the council.

Nice little appendix on how magic works. (and why IV could do stuff when V couldn't)

My rating: 8/10
I do like the characters and the setting, even if I'm not that into what I presume is going to become the canon ship of Raenef and Eclipse.
Tone yo' flab

Tom Bombadil
1 month ago#7
upon closer inspection I brought volume 3 with me, not volume 5

no update today then I guess lol
Tone yo' flab

Tom Bombadil
1 month ago#8
Today starts more frequent updates! Probably!
Tone yo' flab

Tom Bombadil
1 month ago#9
well I guess I didn't say it would INCLUDE one of said updates

So upon further review I can find volumes 1-4, 6, and 7. 5 was probably stashed somewhere weird last time I tried to make progress on this, and I'll find it in like a year. Ah well I hope nothing super relevant happened!

Demon Diary Vol. 6
https://i.imgtc.ws/G0Lso8u.jpg

From what I can tell from the barely-legible summaries, what we missed is
-Raenef V (the one we know) is IV's time-displaced son. Oh okay.
-Raenef IV was hit with a curse that killed him (I guess he got better?) and was supposed to wipe out his line.
-Krayon has a thing for Erutis the girl knight.
-Chris is probably important now because he has a longer bio than even the main characters. ...But not more space, so the SUPER KEWL FONT is too hard to read.
-Heaven is attacking trying to finish what they started with IV. They were behind the personality switch I guess? IV has told the rest of the demons to butt out, and now wants Chris to call on his god and attack V.

As a Cleric, Chris is uniquely tired to wear down Raenef (I'm going to call the main character Raenef and the ancestor one IV), and that needs to happen so that one of his personalities can overcome the other. I notice that IV hasn't specified which one is going to win, but Chris is assuming it'll be the good one. It appears to be an evenish fight once Chris takes on god-level powers. Meanwhile IV explains to the peanut gallery that he forfeited his life to bind his spirit to the Raenef name, thereby bypassing the curse and allowing him to continue on as a spirit, or something like that. He wanted to give Nice Raenef more time alive to get an advantage over Mean Raenef- if they'd woken up at the same time they would've just killed each other.

Chris finally ekes out a win by summoning MagnaAngemon. IV heals Raenef back and now the personalities are harmonized so he can be nice AND not an idiot at the SAME TIME. Whoops this was all part of IV's master plan and he attacks so he can take back over. Eclipse is bound to IV I guess? so he can't help until it's dramatically appropriate, and we're also in IV's realm, so this ain't good. Erutis tries to buy Chris time to prep a spell to exorcise IV, but she's way out of her league. Raenef steps up, but his power comes from IV, so that doesn't go so hot.

Oh, it's already time for Eclipse to take Raenef's side! It's his turn to slow down IV, with the idea that Raenef is gonna do some sort of Magic Manipulation thing that will accomplish something. He's gotta destroy the part of IV that's inside him. After some yaoibait, Eclipse joins the battle and gets dunked on. Erutis accomplishes absolutely nothing, but IV doesn't bother killing her, for Krayon's sake. Raenef pulls off the Magical Manipulation right as IV is about to black hole the place. IV is on the ropes, and Raenef stops him from taking Eclipse down with him. IV turns into a shota and poofs away so I guess we won? Chris shows back up, ready to exorcise, and Erutis yells at him for ruining the shipping moment.

My rating: 7/10
I've liked it up to this point, but this battle was kinda less than satisfying. Kinda a telling more than showing fight, if that makes sense- the "you gotta do that one thing we talked about" "oh okay" "I will buy time" "okay I did the thing" "alas I am slain" sequence just kinda felt rushed.

Last volume on deck!
Tone yo' flab

Tom Bombadil
1 month ago#10
Demon Diary Vol. 7
https://i.imgtc.ws/FLY2BQ4.jpg

Read this one on the road but I'll see what I can do for a recap. Raenef has gotten amnesia and wandered back to his old human haunts to reconnect with his old band of thieves and urchins. The sidekick brigade splits up to find him, and of course Eclipse is the one to find him. Raenef is mostly back to his pre-shenanigans self, but we're told he has a bit of new edge and intelligence to him. After a few encounters with Eclipse, Raenef starts remembering him and all the other stuff. Things come to a head when some clerics attack, and then Raenef has a little internal monologue where he re-absorbs Edgy!Raenef and IV to become complete, or something. Now he's still a nice dude but he has some idea what he's doing in demon lord society, and can turn on the edge when he needs to. But we never get hawtt makeoutz.

Also some epilogue stuff- Krayon hitting on Erutis by preventing her from getting jobs and then blowing up some bad guys that screw her over when she's trying to do a mission. I am glad she is not responding well to these advances because it's one of those things that is played for comedy and kinda cute until you think about it for a half second. Still, it's nice to see her get focus for a half second because she was probably my favorite but I am about 95% sure you could have skipped her character and not changed the story at all. Also Chris has now risen to head of his order, but he's still a derp so he gets immediately busted back down a rank.

My rating: 6/10
We had everything kinda nicely tied up after last volume, so having Raenef temporarily revert all his development made this whole book feel kinda like a filler episode, which is an awkward way to end a series. And man they ramped up the EclipsexRaenef bait towards the end and then didn't really pay it off satisfactorily. I don't even ship it but c'mon don't leave it hangin' as a particularly close master-servant relationship wink wink after all that.

Overall: 7/10
I think I liked the first half more than the second half, but since I went about a year between the two, maybe that's not really a fair evaluation lol. There were a lot of things I liked about the worldbuilding and characters, but I feel like it kinda went the shounen-ai direction instead of fleshing that out as much as it could've, and then didn't really resolve that tension that much anyway. Still, it was a pretty good time.

Discussion question: I have compared this guy to Disgaea a few times. What's a manga/anime that has reminded you of a completely unrelated IP like that?
Hint for next: We're not past the "Demon" section yet.
Tone yo' flab
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Tom resumes reading all the Bolo Household Manga Collection (spoilers)