• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Politics Containment Topic 225: Pardon Me For My War Crimes Against Good Titles

User Info: StealThisSheen

StealThisSheen
3 weeks ago#21
The only thing that can stop a bad guy with cigarettes is a good guy with cigarettes
Seplito Nash, Smelling Like the Vault since 1996
Step FOUR! Get Paid!

User Info: red sox 777

red sox 777
3 weeks ago#22
Jakyl25 posted...
https://twitter.com/nbcnews/status/1130569805717807104?s=21

Senate Majority Leader McConnell: "Today I'm introducing federal legislation to make 21 the new minimum age for purchasing any tobacco product anywhere in the United States."

Any conservatives with thoughts on this?

Sounds like Cocaine Mitch doesn't want competition.
September 1, 2003; November 4, 2007; September 2, 2013
Congratulations to DP Oblivion in the Guru Contest!

red sox 777
3 weeks ago#23
Umitencho posted...
red sox 777 posted...
How about forcing schools to accept payment as a percentage of their graduates' future earnings (like the current income-based repayment plans), but with the schools bearing the risk or reward instead of the government?

That way, good schools will be able to accept a low percentage of future earnings, knowing that their grads will succeed and they'll make a lot of money. Bad schools will have to ask for a higher percentage, and if that makes students hesitant to attend, they'll be forced to lower their tuition. Ultimately, the only way the costs can go down is if tuition goes down, so that is the real goal.

No. This will pigeonhole academia into a zero sum game full of intellectual stagnation.

You mean because schools might prioritize improving their students' earning prospects at the expense of the search for truth?

That's a valid concern, but I'm not sure it's a bad thing. I'm fairly sure it won't have much effect on that though, because what makes graduates marketable is the prestige of their school, and what gives a school prestige is research output. Schools with no prestige add minimal value and now they won't be able to scam marginal students (or their parents, or the taxpayers) into forking over massive amounts of money to attend.

User Info: Nelson_Mandela

Nelson_Mandela
3 weeks ago#24
red sox 777 posted...
That said, Republicans might jump on this proposal. They think that most people who pay income tax support them, which is probably true.

This is most definitely true. If people who didn't pay federal income taxes didn't vote (most don't already), the GOP would never lose a presidential election again. California would be red.
"A more mature answer than I expected."~ Jakyl25
"Sephy's point is right."~ Inviso

Nelson_Mandela
3 weeks ago#25
Jakyl25 posted...
https://twitter.com/nbcnews/status/1130569805717807104?s=21

Senate Majority Leader McConnell: "Today I'm introducing federal legislation to make 21 the new minimum age for purchasing any tobacco product anywhere in the United States."

Any conservatives with thoughts on this?

Should be left to the states but I'm not opposed to the actual law itself

User Info: Jakyl25

Jakyl25
3 weeks ago#26
What’s the point though?
Thank you, Eddie Guerrero.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRlKR5nU8AA_v_C?format=jpg&name=large

red sox 777
3 weeks ago#27
Jakyl25 posted...
What’s the point though?

First we take away the cigarettes. Then we come for the lattes. Without lattes, liberals will flee the US en masse leading to permanent Republican rule.

Nelson_Mandela
3 weeks ago#28
Jakyl25 posted...
What’s the point though?

Presumably to make it harder for kids in high school to get cigarettes. Which will absolutely work (proven successful in NYC for a decade).

I wonder if this applies to juuls and whatnot though.

Jakyl25
3 weeks ago#29
Mitch is in the pocket of BIG VAPE

Jakyl25
3 weeks ago#30
Doesn’t it make it harder for legal adults to make choices about their own consumption too though?

Why can you apply this to cigarettes but not guns?
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Politics Containment Topic 225: Pardon Me For My War Crimes Against Good Titles
  • Topic Closed