• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Politics Containment Topic 225: Pardon Me For My War Crimes Against Good Titles

User Info: Peace___Frog

Peace___Frog
3 weeks ago#131
JeffreyRaze posted...
Trump declared an emergency to ram through arms deals with the Saudis.

Seems like something that will excite his base (the NRA donors)
~Peaf~

User Info: XIII_rocks

XIII_rocks
3 weeks ago#132
https://twitter.com/iknowplacesmp6/status/1131977960444108802?s=19

I'm generally not a fan of Owen Jones but this is a pretty good breakdown of things.

I did feel a little twinge of sympathy, though, just because of like a natural instinct or something I suppose. Seeing somebody break down live on camera is generally not a pleasant thing. But he's got a point, the fawning sadness in the media is bad and that "human level" question is even worse.
Not to be confused with XIII_Stones.

User Info: red sox 777

red sox 777
3 weeks ago#133
GildedFool posted...
I wonder if the Queen would choose to abdicate before agreeing to make Boris PM.

How about taking back control and governing without a prime minister?
September 1, 2003; November 4, 2007; September 2, 2013
Congratulations to DP Oblivion in the Guru Contest!

User Info: Reg

Reg
3 weeks ago#134
https://www.al.com/news/2019/05/marriage-licenses-end-in-alabama-whats-next-what-it-means-if-youre-getting-married.html

So, the Alabama Legislature, in what I am only able to understand is an attempt to solve the issue of Judges disregarding their duty by not providing marriage licenses, has passed a bill that does away with Judge-issued marriage licenses. The couple signs an affidavit, sends it to the judge (who is required by the bill to record it), and that's it. They're spouses under the law. No religious aspects (Current AL law requires marriages to be "solemnized" by e.g a Priest), minimal tests (Not related, not already married, minors need to be 16 or older and have parental permission), no bulls***.

Alabama appears to have stumbled its way into legitimately good policy out of ill intent. Good job.

User Info: Not_an_Owl

Not_an_Owl
3 weeks ago#135
That is... remarkably progressive and not at all what I would have expected out of Alabama.
Besides, marijuana is far more harmful than steroids. - BlitzBomb
I headbang to Bruckner.

User Info: ChaosTonyV4

ChaosTonyV4
3 weeks ago#136
I swear I remember when the Kim Davis s*** happened, a bunch of Conservatives were like “if you go after Kim Davis for her religious beliefs, we’ll just get rid of marriage certificates!”

And people were like “...ok?”
Phantom Dust.
"I'll just wait for time to prove me right again." - Vlado

User Info: Reg

Reg
3 weeks ago#137
Not_an_Owl posted...
That is... remarkably progressive and not at all what I would have expected out of Alabama.

Gotta give 'em props when they do something actually good even when the intent is (As far as I can tell, at least) f***ed
Reg posted...
https://www.al.com/news/2019/05/marriage-licenses-end-in-alabama-whats-next-what-it-means-if-youre-getting-married.html

So, the Alabama Legislature, in what I am only able to understand is an attempt to solve the issue of Judges disregarding their duty by not providing marriage licenses, has passed a bill that does away with Judge-issued marriage licenses. The couple signs an affidavit, sends it to the judge (who is required by the bill to record it), and that's it. They're spouses under the law. No religious aspects (Current AL law requires marriages to be "solemnized" by e.g a Priest), minimal tests (Not related, not already married, minors need to be 16 or older and have parental permission), no bulls***.

Alabama appears to have stumbled its way into legitimately good policy out of ill intent. Good job.

This sounds like a legitimately great idea and I’m confused.

Like, hey great job Alabama. But I’m both suspicious and confused.
Moops?
"I thought you were making up diseases? That's spontaneous dental hydroplosion."

User Info: Paratroopa1

Paratroopa1
3 weeks ago#139
Is it a possible way to circumvent or undermine Obergefell in some way? That's the only thing I can think of

It's a policy that must have some use for proponents of conservative marriage but I don't know what it is
If I'm going out of my way to find the negative then I would say that it doesn't sound that they have changed the "normal" marriage procedures, but merely added these extra, optional methods.

So most people will still get "real marriages" and the "other people" can get their legal equivalent.

At least that's how it reads to me, that this isn't replacing the existing procedures, just adding new ones.
~C~ FD
http://i.imgur.com/dGDfxaw.png
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Politics Containment Topic 225: Pardon Me For My War Crimes Against Good Titles
  • Topic Closed