• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Presenting: The SephG Top 250 [movies]

User Info: Nelson_Mandela

Nelson_Mandela
4 weeks ago#141
#204. Inception
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2e/Inception_%282010%29_theatrical_poster.jpg
Dir: Christopher Nolan
Genre: Action, Mystery, Fantasy
Year: 2010

Speaking of hyper-stylized movies, Inception absolutely blew my mind when I first saw it. The dream sequences and (literal) world-building are among the most impressive feats in cinematic history and more than make up for a really convoluted and kind of messy story.

I really love Inception. It was amazing upon release and a fun watch to this day. But one thing I must bring up is the Internet's complete infatuation with it (and Nolan movies in general). No, it's not the best movie of the 2010s. No, it's not one of the five greatest movies ever made. It's a very fun concept and extremely well-executed action movie. Let's just be happy with that and not get ahead of ourselves.
"A more mature answer than I expected."~ Jakyl25
"Sephy's point is right."~ Inviso

Nelson_Mandela
4 weeks ago#142
neonreaper posted...
I lump a few movies (Almost Famous, Eternal Sunshine, Requiem for a Dream, Fight Club) into a quarter life crisis heap that a lot of my peers got a little too into, yet I never liked all that much. Fight Club is enjoyable but I wasn't upset at myself for buying Ikea furniture.

Ha, that really is a great way to look at it. I was just beginning my adolescence when all of these came out, so my peers probably viewed them a bit differently (all beloved by my friends who were just starting to find their "unique" styles, incidentally).

Mild spoilers for The List: I hate Eternal Sunshine.

Nelson_Mandela
4 weeks ago#143
#203. A Nightmare on Elm Street
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fa/A_Nightmare_on_Elm_Street_%281984%29_theatrical_poster.jpg
Dir: Wes Craven
Genre: Horror, Fantasy
Year: 1984

Fun SephG fact #2: when I was younger, my terrible parents let me watch whatever I wanted. My favorite movie soon became A Nightmare on Elm Street. I was in kindergarten.

A Nightmare on Elm Street is one of, if not THE, most clever premises for a horror movie ever. It's essentially both a metaphor for fear/anxiety (you'll only be harmed if you let your worries consume you) and a slasher film with a unique twist on its "rules." Sure, you could watch Halloween or Friday the 13th and say to yourself, "well, what if they just chop the bad guy into a million pieces or blow him up?" and ruin your suspension of disbelief. But what do you think when the villain is a supernatural creature that manifests in dreams? You'll spend the whole film wondering how it'll work out, as you sit back and enjoy some of the most inventive practical effects of the time.

User Info: neonreaper

neonreaper
4 weeks ago#144
I've been drunk in the house that Craven first came up with Nightmare on Elm St. It's since been torn down (it was a frat house in Potsdam NY and someone was hazed to death and the house was abandoned) but yeah hope that was an exciting tidbit
Donny: Are they gonna hurt us, Walter?
Walter: No, Donny. These men are cowards.

User Info: TheCodeisBosco

TheCodeisBosco
4 weeks ago#145
Animal House is still fantastic, I agree. That and Blazing Saddles are the 70s American comedies that hit me the hardest - they're uproariously funny.

Since you have Gremlins on here - did you ever get around to watching Matinee? Dante directed that one as well, and it's a blast.
Now crack that combination:
27 99 23.

Nelson_Mandela
4 weeks ago#146
TheCodeisBosco posted...
Since you have Gremlins on here - did you ever get around to watching Matinee? Dante directed that one as well, and it's a blast.

Never even heard of it!

Nelson_Mandela
4 weeks ago#147
#202. The Fast and the Furious
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/54/Fast_and_the_furious_poster.jpg
Dir: Rob Cohen
Genre: Action, Crime
Year: 2001

I assume I am going to catch a lot of flak for this. I am making a list of what I genuinely consider to be the greatest films ever made. Classics directed by Billy Wilder and Alfred Hitchc***. Groundbreaking artistic achievements from David Lynch and Stanley Kubrick. And The Fast and the Furious by the guy who directed xXx.

That's right: I f***ing love this movie. The sequels may have turned into really fun summer blockbuster schlock, but the original F&F has a special place in my heart. I know it's a ripoff of Point Break, but this film is more to me. The first entrant in these series is the only one (besides Toyko Drift, seriously) that's more of an exploration of a subculture. The street racing scenes feel like they're really happening somewhere. Vin Diesel and his buddies feel like real people. My favorite parts of this movie is when Vin waxes poetic about the zen of car racing. It helps remind you that a subject this esoteric can actually mean a lot more to certain people. And to me, that's what makes The Fast and the Furious more than just a racing movie. It's a film about a small group of people living in a world different from mine. And that's fascinating.

Nelson_Mandela
4 weeks ago#148
#201. The Goonies
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c6/The_Goonies.jpg
Dir: Richard Donner
Genre: Adventure, comedy
Year: 1985

How many other movies can make you feel like The Goonies makes you feel? Nothing else imbues such a wondrous sense of adventure and exploration for me. This is obviously due to a number of reasons: the adolescent cast who is still just young enough to not be cynical, the gorgeous setting that makes you believe a pirate's cove can live under a blue collar town in Oregon, and the hearkening of a time before helicopter moms, cell phones, and GPS.

The Goonies is pretty much what every kid wishes their summer adventure could be like. And watching it as an adult can still transport you there.

Nelson_Mandela
4 weeks ago#149
Bottom 50
250. The Last Waltz (1978)
249. Freaks (1932)
248. Superbad (2007)
247. Good Time (2017)
246. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
245. Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010)
244. The Fifth Element (1997)
243. The Thing (1982)
242. The Apartment (1960)
241. A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
240. The Sandlot (1993)
239. O.J.: Made in America (2016)
238. Total Recall (1990)
237. Clerks (1994)
236. Logan (2017)
235. Sling Blade (1996)
234. 28 Days Later (2002)
233. Team America: World Police (2004)
232. 25th Hour (2002)
231. Let the Right One In (2008)
230. Her (2013)
229. Beetlejuice (1988)
228. Inglorious Basterds (2008)
227. Requiem for a Dream (2000)
226. Blue Velvet (1986)
225. Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
224. Zodiac (2007)
223. The Ten Commandments (1956)
222. The Blair Witch Project (1999)
221. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)
220. Ghostbusters (1984)
219. 12 Angry Men (1957)
218. Happy Gilmore (1996)
217. Incendies (2010)
216. Training Day (2001)
215. Princess Mononoke (1997)
214. John Wick (2014)
213. Midnight Cowboy (1969)
212. Animal House (1978)
211. Gladiator (2000)
210. Gravity (2013)
209. Gremlins (1984)
208. Almost Famous (2000)
207. JFK (1991)
206. Bonnie and Clyde (1967)
205. Sin City (2005)
204. Inception (2010)
203. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
202. The Fast and the Furious (2001)
201. The Goonies (1985)

User Info: TomNook

TomNook
4 weeks ago#150
Nelson_Mandela posted...
Reddit Top 250? Too basic.

The further this list progresses, the funnier this line becomes.
Bells, bells, bells!
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Presenting: The SephG Top 250 [movies]
  • Topic Closed