You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Presenting: The SephG Top 250 [movies]

User Info: neonreaper

neonreaper
3 weeks ago#121
I tend to dislike addiction stories and themes, so I just didn't care for Requiem for a Dream. All my friends were nuts for it when it came out, though.

Happy Gilmore is a classic. I think I laughed more at Waterboy when it first came out, but damn that has not held up well at all. I agree, Billy Madison is bad but there are some highlights STOP LOOKING AT ME SWAN.
Donny: Are they gonna hurt us, Walter?
Walter: No, Donny. These men are cowards.

User Info: Nelson_Mandela

Nelson_Mandela
3 weeks ago#122
Slanted_Silver posted...
Have you seen any other of Denis V's pre-Prisoners films?

Maybe ;)
"A more mature answer than I expected."~ Jakyl25
"Sephy's point is right."~ Inviso

Nelson_Mandela
3 weeks ago#123
neonreaper posted...
Clerks was a perfect movie for the time. Almost everyone could relate, at least in part. Everyone in HS had a job where they had to stock shelves or run a register or clean something. And we knew the people who were working at Staples as a lifetime plan.

I always pictured you as a Kevin Smith character IRL. Not kidding!

User Info: RPGlord95

RPGlord95
3 weeks ago#124
Billy Madison is pretty lousy overall but the one speech at the end saves it.
Whiskey Nick on his cell phone
"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat." -Warrior

Nelson_Mandela
3 weeks ago#125
#214. John Wick
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/98/John_Wick_TeaserPoster.jpg
Dir: Chad Stahelski
Genre: Action
Year: 2014

John Wick represents the culmination of the action genre's trajectory since the late 90s. After the Schwarzenegger era ended, there was a huge vacuum of power in the genre. Eventually, instead of big hulky heroes carrying machine guns, what began to emerge was a new kind of action movie: quick hand-to-hand combat and gunplay featuring ostensibly "regular" men who have a hidden skill. This new subgenre rose to prominence in the Bourne trilogy and later the Taken movies, but came to a natural apex in 2014's John Wick.

Having seen all three films in the series now, I can safely say that the original holds up as the best. The choreography and cleverness of the fight scenes may be better in its sequels, but the original movie has this wonderful simplicity that the others haven't been able to capture. John loves dog. Man kills dog. John kills everyone. As much as I enjoy the ridiculous world-building after this, the motivations can sometimes be hard to follow and the lore only adds a layer of complexity that the original John Wick doesn't have. Even now as studios are endlessly attempting to copy its formula, there's still nothing quite like it.

User Info: Mr Lasastryke

Mr Lasastryke
3 weeks ago#126
haven't seen 3 yet but 2 > 1 imo. mainly because the action scenes are better and more creative, as you mentioned. in 1, i never cared for the story and the whole "THEY KILLED HIS DOOOOG" plot point everyone is crazy about so yeah.
Geothermal terpsichorean ejectamenta

Nelson_Mandela
3 weeks ago#127
#213. Midnight Cowboy
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/87/Midnight_Cowboy.jpg
Dir: John Schlesinger
Genre: Drama
Year: 1969

It's hard to believe that this was rated X upon release. Watching it now and it's as tame as any show on FX (maybe even tamer), but I guess implying gay sex will do that to your movie in the 60s.

Midnight Cowboy is just a really cool-looking film. It incorporates the psychedelic aesthetic without being overwhelming, and it paints a picture of the beginning of my favorite era of New York City (grimy 60s/70s) better than most movies of the time. Dustin Hoffman and John Voight are totally brilliant here, and their great chemistry/dynamic really just makes the ending gut you even worse.

Nelson_Mandela
3 weeks ago#128
Mr Lasastryke posted...
haven't seen 3 yet but 2 > 1 imo. mainly because the action scenes are better and more creative, as you mentioned. in 1, i never cared for the story and the whole "THEY KILLED HIS DOOOOG" plot point everyone is crazy about so yeah.

I didn't mention it in the write-up, but the first one had a better "look" to it too imo. I know they were going for a comic book vibe that was pretty hackneyed by 2014, but they captured the mood and pacing of one really damn well.

Nelson_Mandela
3 weeks ago#129
#212. Animal House
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ea/Animalhouseposter.jpg
Dir: John Landis
Genre: Comedy
Year: 1978

This is the granddaddy of the modern American comedy. Just about every popular comedy movie released since can trace its roots back to Animal House. It invented the gross-out/shock humor. It basically set the standard for your basic blue collar comedy arc (group of funny rebels takes on their uptight elitist superiors). And, despite being the progenitor of a type of film we've all seen hundreds of times, it still absolutely holds up.

I'm sure there are thousands of term papers written on how Animal House represents the patriarchy or is misogynistic or inspired the "rape culture" of the time. But to those of us who can actually still relax and just enjoy a very human film, Animal House just makes me happy. It's a pleasure to watch.

Nelson_Mandela
3 weeks ago#130
#211. Gladiator
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fb/Gladiator_%282000_film_poster%29.png
Dir: Ridley Scott
Genre: Action, Historical Epic
Year: 2000

From one decade-setting film to another, Gladiator was the movie that launched a thousand (mostly s***ty) ancient epics that took all sorts of liberties with historical accuracy. But its negative legacy aside, Gladiator was simply a badass movie in its time and even through today.

I think what attracts me to Gladiator more than movies like Spartacus, Ben-Hur, or Troy is the fact that it wasn't just a vehicle to show off the skills of their set designer. The dream sequences of Gladiator are really trippy and cool, Joaquin Phoenix chews the scenery and turns an otherwise bland character into an all-time great role, and the soundtrack continues to be weird and inspired. I think we're now at the point where the movie is somehow underrated (despite being a Best Picture winner), but it's hard for me to name too many better than it from that time.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Presenting: The SephG Top 250 [movies]