• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Presenting: The SephG Top 250 [movies]

User Info: Nelson_Mandela

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#111
#217. Incendies
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a0/Incendies.jpg
Dir: Denis Villeneuve
Genre: Drama
Year: 2010

Our first Canadian movie that somehow no one guessed! Incendies tells the story of a pair of twins who travel to the Middle East to uncover their family's past. What transpires is one of the most harrowing, intense, tragic stories ever put to film. It can be almost too dramatic at times, but I still think it works with the overall theme of the movie.

I won't get into spoilers here, but Incendies should absolutely be discussed with the Sixth Sense, Usual Suspects, etc. in terms of the greatest plot twists of all time. I can't really say more than that, but if you're looking for a true shock, do not read any summaries and just start watching this movie with a clear mind. You'll thank me for it (maybe).
"A more mature answer than I expected."~ Jakyl25
"Sephy's point is right."~ Inviso

User Info: Mr Lasastryke

Mr Lasastryke
1 month ago#112
12 angry men is just a very well done movie.

overrated? probably. still think it's more deserving of being in the IMDb top 15 than the dark knight and inception, though (but we'll see if you disagree!).
Geothermal terpsichorean ejectamenta

User Info: TheCodeisBosco

TheCodeisBosco
1 month ago#113
I'm neutral on Happy Gilmore, but also agree that it's better than Caddyshack. That one has not held up well IMO.
Now crack that combination:
27 99 23.

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#114
#216. Training Day
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b3/Training_Day_Poster.jpg
Dir: Antoine Fuqua
Genre: Drama, Crime
Year: 2001

Denzel Washington elevates Training Day from serviceable police drama to one of the best films of the decade. His performance here is quite stunning and really goes to show how much an actor can make or break a film.

Training Day reminds me of a throwback to the grittiness of 1970s crime dramas. As you read through this list, you'll quickly realize that the 70s is one of my favorite eras for film, and this does a perfect job at capturing that energy without turning it into an homage. Immortalized in the Wayne Brady Chappelle's Show skit, you have a movie that's to the brim with character and atmosphere and makes for a timeless good guy/bad guy dynamic that's been missing from cinema for far too long.

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#115
#215. Princess Mononoke
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8c/Princess_Mononoke_Japanese_poster.png
Dir: Hayao Miyazaki
Genre: Animated, Fantasy
Year: 1997

I have a confession to make that will probably upset a lot of people following this topic. I am not a big fan of Hayao Miyazaki. I think the animation of his projects with Studio Ghibli is beautiful and probably the best that Japan has to offer, but the narratives tend to lose me after awhile in almost every one. I by no means would call something like Spirited Away a bad movie per se, but it just doesn't pull me enough emotionally to be amongst the greatest.

Princess Mononoke is the exception. Here, Miyazaki combines outstanding and unique animation with a parable that's simple enough to understand but deep enough to be compelling. Maybe it's because of the folklore, but something about this film brings out the inner Japanophile in me. It's really the perfect kind of story to complement Miyazaki's bold and surreal anime style.
(message deleted)

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#117
CaptainOfCrush posted...
I had never heard of Her - thanks for listing that one, as I really enjoyed it. Probably fitting that I watched it alone as my gf was overseas, too.

Glad you enjoyed it!

I think you'd also really really like Incendies since you're an Arab transplant from childhood and that's basically the premise of the film.

Nelson_Mandela
1 month ago#118
Overnight discussion

User Info: Slanted_Silver

Slanted_Silver
1 month ago#119
Have you seen any other of Denis V's pre-Prisoners films?
I've made a huge mistake

User Info: neonreaper

neonreaper
1 month ago#120
Clerks was a perfect movie for the time. Almost everyone could relate, at least in part. Everyone in HS had a job where they had to stock shelves or run a register or clean something. And we knew the people who were working at Staples as a lifetime plan.
Donny: Are they gonna hurt us, Walter?
Walter: No, Donny. These men are cowards.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Presenting: The SephG Top 250 [movies]
  • Topic Closed