You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Anagram ranks 73 B8-nominated VGM!

User Info: Anagram

Anagram
1 month ago#21
69. Overflowing Emotions
Game: Vib-Ribbon
Score: 24/100
Nominator: Raetsel_Lapin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4vx0WkzTH4
Things I Liked: The opening 10 seconds
Things I Disliked: The vocals

The grand tragedy of this is that I see a good song underneath. When I opened up the YouTube video, for the first ten seconds I thought I’d misranked this one. Then the woman starts singing and I’m like “oh.” Everything about her voice makes me hate her, from the tone to the lyrics (“Ya nat ma babeh, Ah’m naht ya mammy, do you know can’t you see?”), and especially at 1:11-1:21, which just made me want to kill myself. I understand that some people like quirky Japanese stuff, which is why like Katamari Damacy is so popular, but that is certainly not me.

If the entire song had just been a melody building off of the first 10 seconds with no vocals, this probably could have been around a 45-50.
Not changing this sig until I decide to change this sig.
Started: July 6, 2005

Anagram
1 month ago#22
68. I luv Hamburgers
Game: Bust a Groove
Score: 29/100
Nominator: Raestel_Lapin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhjs70-vbvk
Things I Liked: Nothing, really
Things I Disliked: The singer

I didn’t plan for two of Raetsel’s noms to go down in a row, but here we are. I guess his taste in music is just almost exactly the opposite of mine. It has almost the same problem as the previous song, too, even though they’re different genres. This is a perfectly fine melody, but the guy singing about having a double chin as he sloppily eats hamburgers ruins everything. It gets especially bad at 0:57 when the guy chants “VEDY VEDY VEDY VEDY GOOD.” At 1:32, he gets into an argument with a woman, and again, it’s just garbage. Then he launches back into the specifics of what he likes in a hamburger. I also dislike basically pausing in the middle of a song to do normal speech in general (that applies beyond VGM), which happens constantly here, especially at 2:24.

This is just another song that sacrifices being good for being wacky, and I say this as someone who loves a good hamburger.

User Info: Raetsel_Lapin

Raetsel_Lapin
1 month ago#23
her*

Though yeah, I can't say I was expecting any of the three songs to do well.

Overflowing Emotions is a song that I was obsessed with from day one of this year's VGMC noms where someone's nomination reminded me to listen to Vib-Ribbon's soundtrack again. I really didn't care for that game's original songs when I first heard them, but I've developed more of an interest in abnormal songs as of late. This song's constant shifting of time, fast-forwarding and slowing down almost at random, really appeals to me and I've listened to it quite a bit. Discovering this song was definitely one of the contest's high-points for me--though this particular track wasn't even nominated and I like "Class::EXSPHERE_NOSURGE;" even more, but whatever.

As much as I enjoy it though, I think everything about it is just a bit too much for...probably anyone on the board? There's a slight chance that the odd shifting times might keep Mycro from completely hating it, but even that feels like a longshot.

Hamburgers was a joke nom. It makes me laugh and I've voluntarily listened to it more times than I'd care to admit, but I don't think I'd call myself a fan? More like a 5.5/10... kinda amusing for a cheap laugh, but not much more.
"Surely you're not cogitating triumph. Don't question doubt, and no donuts. "

Anagram
1 month ago#24
Yeah, it's a shame, because I can see the skeleton of a song I'd like underneath Overflowing Emotions.

Anagram
1 month ago#25
Bump

Anagram
1 month ago#26
67. Chemical Cookie
Game: Beatmania IIDX 25 Cannon Ballers
Score: 29/100
Nominator: Mac Arrowny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wt6nLAqGhY
Things I Liked: The opening vocals
Things I Disliked: The airhorns, the dubstep chorus

This isn’t exactly unlistenable to, but it’s just so damn busy. The vocals are ear-grating, there are random airhorns for some reason, there’s a microwave timer, there’s a woman singing about chemical cookies. I also hate dubstep, and a lot of this song reminds me of it. And then you have the OOH OOH AH parts.

I have no idea what this game involves. Bad music, I guess.

User Info: banshiryuu

banshiryuu
1 month ago#27
Nanahira and YUC'e, both the perfect choices for the bad side of BEMANI (although YUC'e could do good stuff if she wants but doesn't for some reason??)

Anagram
1 month ago#28
66. SHAKE YA BODY
Game: Lumines
Score: 30/100
Nominator: tazzyboyishere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvTk200XWzE
Things I Liked: Synthy background noise
Things I Disliked: Drums, voice, lyrics, 1:14

I’ve heard worse, but this is still a bad song to me. It has elements I like, like the synthy background noise, but the drums are misused, the singing is dumb, and the lengthy repetitive noise at 1:14 is terrible. At 2:16, a woman starts singing who’s actually pretty good, but it’s ruined by someone blowing a whistle into the microphone every few seconds. You could have used some of these elements to create something good, but as it is? Shake ya body down to the bottom of the list.

Anagram
4 weeks ago#29
65. Walk on Vanity Ruins
Game: Silent Hill 3
Score: 31/100
Nominator: Raetsel_Lupin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU6cT88Por4
Things I Liked: 0:20-0:23
Things I Disliked: The woman who talks from 1:25-on

I really dislike the woman talking about evil stuff in the background for the latter half of the song, but I’m not crazy about the first half anyway. That said, I can totally imagine how this could set a spooky tone for a horror game. The problem is my personal taste in horror: I like dumb silly nonsense. Give me a good bad 80s horror movie any day. The best part of the IT remake to me is when the kids see doors labeled “Scary,” “Very Scary,” and “Not Very Scary,” and choose the last one. As a result, I just don’t enjoy horror that’s trying to be serious.

And please note how I say “the woman who talks,” not “the woman who sings,” because those aren’t lyrics, they’re words being calmly said.

I think this eliminates Raetsel. C'est la vie.

Anagram
4 weeks ago#30
64. Eternity
Game: Blue Dragon
Score: 34/100
Nominator: Janus5k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWtpAzbEnc8
Things I Liked: The melody
Things I Disliked: The singer

“Fearin’ on, hangin’ on, showing you my chicken seed!”

Did I mishear that?

Anyway, I actually very much like the underlying melody of this song. I’m not a big rock guy, but I like it well enough, and it’s good for what it is. The problem is that whoever sings is clearly not a professional vocalist, and if he is, then yeesh.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Anagram ranks 73 B8-nominated VGM!