• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Movie and Box Office Topic: Prepping for Endgame

User Info: ZenOfThunder

ZenOfThunder
2 months ago#131
wow, I'm actually shocked it didn't bring down the house. Thought for sure the people were dying to see something good after the long drought.

120 is still good though
Most Quotable Media Ever: Vote Now! - https://bit.ly/2WH2mKz
Advokaiser owns this space and my butt
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: MetalmindStats

MetalmindStats
2 months ago#132
CoolCly posted...
Do you guys think this is cheating?

Box office records and statistics have always been all-in, counting as many re-releases as a movie gets. In other words, my opinion is no.

As for Endgame's chances of besting Avatar from this re-release, I agree that it's unlikely at best, because only the hardcore fans will care. It would very likely happen, though, if this re-release was also heading to China, where the government ended Endgame's run a month ago, while it was still filling theaters.

On Toy Story 4's opening: on the one hand, anything over Toy Story 3 is at least nominally good, since it's very difficult to achieve domestic growth with the fourth installment of any franchise. On the other hand, it's a substantial miss compared to industry tracking and expectations, and even behind Disney's own stated expectation of a $140 million debut (and distributors' stated expectations are notoriously conservative).

It's also about $15 million behind Finding Dory. While Finding Nemo is probably the single most beloved Pixar movie, the Toy Story series certainly has more brand equity, and people weren't crying out for a Nemo follow-up the way they were for, say, The Incredibles. On top of that, the summer box office being dead quiet last weekend naturally fueled greater expectations.
"I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people who do."
You won the CBX Guru Contest, Advokaiser! Bully for you!
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: ZenOfThunder

ZenOfThunder
2 months ago#133
Apparently Endgame beat Avatars original gross yesterday, can't check if that's legit right now but if so that puts it in even ground for the rerelease
Most Quotable Media Ever: Vote Now! - https://bit.ly/2WH2mKz
Advokaiser owns this space and my butt

MetalmindStats
1 month ago#134
Domestic weekend predictions for the upcoming frame:

1. $59.7 million Toy Story 4
2. $18.1 million Annabelle Comes Home (3-day)
3. $13.0 million Yesterday
4. $10.0 million Aladdin
5. $6.1 million The Secret Life of Pets 2
6. $5.1 million Men in Black: International
7. $4.5 million Child’s Play
8. $4.1 million Avengers: Endgame
9. $3.4 million Rocketman
10. $3.1 million John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum
11. $1.4 million Godzilla: King of the Monsters
12. $1.4 million Anna

After its Wednesday start, Annabelle will be the latest contender to fall short of what it should be making. Also, Toy Story 4 has not been holding well enough for me to feel optimistic about its second weekend decline.

MetalmindStats
1 month ago#135
1. $69.5 million Spider-Man: Far From Home (3-day)
2. $30.4 million Toy Story 4
3. $10.9 million Yesterday
4. $9.8 million Annabelle Comes Home
5. $8.1 million Midsommar (3-day)
6. $7.0 million Aladdin
7. $4.5 million The Secret Life of Pets 2
8. $3.6 million Avengers: Endgame
9. $3.2 million Men in Black: International
10. $2.4 million Rocketman
11. $2.0 million John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum
12. $1.2 million Child’s Play

It looks like Far From Home isn't going to set the box office on fire. Could this be explained by the box office doldrums, Spider-Man fatigue, people wanting a break from the MCU after Endgame, or even something else entirely? You be the judge. One thing's for sure: if The Lion King doesn't at least deliver on its lofty expectations, we'll have to chalk up this year (currently down almost 10%) as a loss.
Because Tom Holland is still a nobody, a C- celebrity at best.

Venom came out in October and well...oh forget it it's 4th of July. I don't want to argue.

User Info: v_charon

v_charon
1 month ago#137
I mean the film set the largest debut for a Tuesday opening... I think a lot of people are just really hard to please or something.
:>
Truly smilin'

MetalmindStats
1 month ago#138
v_charon posted...
I mean the film set the largest debut for a Tuesday opening... I think a lot of people are just really hard to please or something.

Far From Home's Tuesday debut is 12% ahead of The Amazing Spider-Man. If it paces identically for the remainder of the six-day period, it will reach $153.6 million, versus $154.2 million for Homecoming's first six days. That's fine, but far from great for a movie that was essentially sold as Endgame 1.5. However, there's also reason to expect an MCU sequel to be more frontloaded than a non-MCU reboot. Plus, with every new tentpole that underperforms, expectations inevitably shoot higher and higher for the remainder, out of the hope that we can somehow close this deficit. That makes the openings merely in line with conservative expectations at best sting even harder.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: redrocket

redrocket
1 month ago#139
That's fine, but far from great for a movie that was essentially sold as Endgame 1.5.

wut

That makes the openings merely in line with conservative expectations at best sting even harder.

This is somewhat understandable, but it’s still dumb.
It's like paying for bubble wrap. -transience on Final Fantasy: All the Bravest

MetalmindStats
1 month ago#140
I should clarify: by Endgame 1.5, I mean the direct follow-up to Endgame. In theory, given that movie's incredible audience and box office reception, Far From Home should have gained from it, like Iron Man 3, The Dark World, and The Winter Soldier gained on their predecessors thanks to the Avengers effect. It's also a sequel to a well-received movie; with the combination of those two factors, an opening merely in line with Homecoming is fine but a bit of a miss compared to what seemed possible.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Movie and Box Office Topic: Prepping for Endgame
  • Topic Closed