You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Movie and Box Office Topic: Prepping for Endgame

User Info: v_charon

v_charon
1 month ago#111
Looks like Pets dipped about 50%, which was just enough to let MIB debut in first. Still sub 30m, which has to be a disappointment for the series overall. Aladdin''s staying power has been impressive.

Oh, and lol Shaft. Yikes.
:>
Truly smilin'

User Info: scarletspeed7

scarletspeed7
1 month ago#112
Shaft got such poor marketing, and I don't think the franchise is really one that really demanded a sequel.
"It is too easy being monsters. Let us try to be human." ~Victor Frankenstein, Penny Dreadful

User Info: colliding

colliding
1 month ago#113
kudos to us moviegoers for not paying money to see terrible films

will the studios learn the right lesson from this? probably not but whatever, bring on the inevitably disney+ monopoly.

User Info: MetalmindStats

MetalmindStats
1 month ago#114
Since this is also a topic for discussing movies, I finally saw Endgame last weekend.

Without delving into spoilers, the emotional moments, and general drama and character interplay really connected with me. Endgame is definitely a movie for the MCU fan, something which I happen to be.

On the other hand, I felt it didn't really work as a popcorn movie, which held it back from being truly great. Yes, that's partially the point (I'm certainly not saying its heavy, dramatic direction was a bad thing), but even the action just didn't measure up to past MCU movies for me. The time heists felt like an inferior riff on Inception, lacking its visual inventiveness and Nolan's distinctive direction, though revisiting past MCU movies was a neat twist. Meanwhile, the Thanos fights were compelling strictly for the dramatic moments rather than the action.

Here's my current MCU movie ranking:

Iron Man > The Avengers ~= Homecoming > GotG ~= GotG 2 > Civil War ~= Ragnarok ~= Ant-Man and the Wasp > Endgame ~= Ant-Man ~= Winter Soldier > Infinity War ~= Black Panther > Iron Man 3 ~= Doctor Strange > Age of Ultron > Iron Man 2 > Captain Marvel > The Dark World ~= The First Avenger ~= Thor > The Incredible Hulk

The first five are truly great, the next eight fall a bit short despite being quality in their own right, the five after that are inconsistent but nonetheless enjoyable, while the last four are just alright.

And my current MCU hero ranking (ranked using this link - https://sorta.app/q/1018):

Iron Man > Spider-Man > Ant-Man > Thor > Shuri > Captain America > Black Panther > Doctor Strange > Star-Lord > Rocket Raccoon > Nick Fury > Groot > Hulk > Mantis > Black Widow > Scarlet Witch > Drax the Destroyer > Captain Marvel > Hawkeye > Wasp > Falcon > Okoye > Nebula > War Machine > Wong > Gamora > Winter Soldier > Vision
"I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people who do."
You won the CBX Guru Contest, Advokaiser! Bully for you!
Star-Lord > Iron Man > Drax the Destroyer > Rocket Raccoon > Spider-Man > Mantis > Nebula > Captain America > Hawkeye > Hulk > Thor > Black Panther > Gamora > Nick Fury > Groot > Doctor Strange > Captain Marvel > Winter Soldier > Scarlet Witch > Vision > Black Widow > Wasp > War Machine > Wong > Ant-Man > Shuri > Falcon > Okoye

Fun link!
Listen, suffering is a fact of life. Either you learn how to deal with that or you go under.
https://i.imgtc.ws/2Q88rI4.gif

MetalmindStats
1 month ago#116
Snake5555555555 posted...
Fun link!

Yep, and they also have one for MCU movies that I didn't use because I already have them all ranked in a Word document. https://sorta.app/q/1019

As for the box office, I was expecting a subpar debut from Men in Black, but Shaft's sheer weakness really blew me away. Even with WB's lacking marketing, high-profile African-American targeted movies usually find at least somewhat of an audience, and Shaft had a potentially appealing premise with its three generations schtick. Let's hope Toy Story 4 can improve on its current presales (just 61% of Incredibles 2 right now) and draw substantial walk-ups to boot, so we can see these box office blues fade.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: scarletspeed7

scarletspeed7
1 month ago#117
Incredibles had a much bigger buzz from audiences heading into its release. I think the marketing for TS4 is actually less than Cred2.
"It is too easy being monsters. Let us try to be human." ~Victor Frankenstein, Penny Dreadful

User Info: StealThisSheen

StealThisSheen
1 month ago#118
MetalmindStats posted...
The time heists felt like an inferior riff on Inception, lacking its visual inventiveness and Nolan's distinctive direction, though revisiting past MCU movies was a neat twist.

This feels like such a weird comparison to me because they're like, nothing alike whatsoever. Inception is about going into dreams, which is why the visual inventiveness can flourish. The time heists are just... Them time traveling. You weren't going to get any crazy visual scenes because they're not like, actively bending reality or anything.
Seplito Nash, Smelling Like the Vault since 1996
Step FOUR! Get Paid!
Avengers: Infinity War > Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 > Avengers: Endgame > Guardians of the Galaxy > Iron Man > Iron Man 3 > Captain America: The Winter Soldier > The Avengers > Spider-Man: Homecoming > Captain America: Civil War > Captain America: The First Avenger > Ant-Man > Avengers: Age of Ultron > Thor: Ragnarok > Captain Marvel > Doctor Strange > Black Panther > The Incredible Hulk > Ant-Man and the Wasp > Iron Man 2 > Thor > Thor: The Dark World
Listen, suffering is a fact of life. Either you learn how to deal with that or you go under.
https://i.imgtc.ws/2Q88rI4.gif

MetalmindStats
1 month ago#120
StealThisSheen posted...
MetalmindStats posted...
The time heists felt like an inferior riff on Inception, lacking its visual inventiveness and Nolan's distinctive direction, though revisiting past MCU movies was a neat twist.

This feels like such a weird comparison to me because they're like, nothing alike whatsoever. Inception is about going into dreams, which is why the visual inventiveness can flourish. The time heists are just... Them time traveling. You weren't going to get any crazy visual scenes because they're not like, actively bending reality or anything.

Yeah, I probably explained that poorly. I'm not asking for the same level of visual inventiveness as that movie or, say, Doctor Strange. It's just that, besides the interesting conceit of time traveling into the events of past MCU movies, I didn't feel there was anything to distinguish these scenes from the mildly engaging realm. That disappointed me, since I generally find the big action and plot beats of MCU movies more than just mildly engaging.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Movie and Box Office Topic: Prepping for Endgame