You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. 2019 Baseball Topic #1 Opening Day #2
There are a lot of teams who could potentially use Keuchel and Kimbrel right now. You have to imagine they'll get signed soon. I read yesterday that Kimbrel is apparently asking for more reasonable numbers now. Wonder who will get them.
Ah, yes, the Negotiator: General Kenobi
<sneaky beeping>

User Info: WiggumFan267

WiggumFan267
1 month ago#92
The Mets are 100% one of those teams. There is literally 0 reason for them to not sign Keuchel (or like any of the decent other options in the spring.... Gio Gonzalez, Ervin Santana, James Shields, Wade Miley... like not great names but just some actual goddamn depth. They really f***ing dropped the ball super hard by not signing literally ANY SP protection and they did not get called out enough for it at f***ing all.

Vargas is truly awful, and they said today they plan on keep trotting him out there.
Callaway basically said yesterday he did not have much confidence in him going forward after they took him out after LITERALLY 0.1 IP of awful baseball, then they said today they're gonna keep pitching him anyway because "he's better than our other options on the club", and he's 100% right, and that's sad. But what happened between yesterday and today that made him change his course? It's clear ownership stepped in because they're f***ing cheap dirtbags and won't sign Keuchel even though THERE IS LITERALLY ZERO STARTING PITCHING DEPTH on this club..... and they need to sign 2 SPs for next year anyway after Wheeler/Vargas are gone (hopefully Vargas is gone sooner, but he won't be).

Like it's completely f***ing insane and mindbogglingly infuriating they have not addressed this issue at all that they have NO DEPTH and their 5th starter is 100% a guaranteed loss.

The Mets cannot claim they’re trying to contend while giving Vargas the ball every fifth day. BVW lied to us (thanks to the wilpons). Clearly this is a team that doesn't give a f*** about competing and only cares about saving a buck. They could be strong WS contenders if they just signed some additional SP depth, but they don't f***ing care. What a f***ing waste of an opportunity. So much for "we're all in". f*** these crooks.

It's a f***ing joke a team claiming to compete just trots this guy out there every 5th day when their payroll is f***ing junk (and 20M of it is just David Wright's insurance money they don't actually have to pay).
~Wigs~ 3-Time Consecutive Fantasy B8 Baseball Champion
2015 NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPION NEW YORK METS

WiggumFan267
1 month ago#93
I wish they would be in on Kimbrel too, cuz their bullpen is bad, but he's going to want to close I assume, and they can't do that with Diaz there. Unless they get creative but they are statistically challenged so I doubt they'd ever consider that.

Also they're financially challenged anyway so lol
(edited 1 month ago)

WiggumFan267
1 month ago#94
Brodie: “Jason Vargas is our 5 starter.”

You're not dissuaded: “No. We have confidence in him, confidence in this team & not going to make drastic changes after 1 bad inning of a start where he had a schedule that was derailed. "[Vargas] is a professional and we're excited about what he can do."

f*** this whole f***ing org.

WiggumFan267
1 month ago#95
and now deGrom is broken 2 starts in a row. not just bad luck either. he doesn't look good. getting hit hard. Baseballs too juiced.

User Info: Reg

Reg
1 month ago#96
Rangers came back with a 4-run 8th inning to win 8-7 oh baby

WiggumFan267
4 weeks ago#97
that game sucked. I guess I'm not that worried about deGrom, but its still quite troubling to see. The pitching staff is not going to be as good as last year though, it would be hard to do that again. Depth is badly needed and now, not later.
I think deGrom will be okay. He certainly won't have anywhere close to the season he had last year, but I still expect him to be solid.

Totally agree with you about Vargas. He's by far the worst player on the team and I think most Mets fans have been fed up with him since he got here. I get that they're paying him, but it's not worth it to go into every fifth game with the mentality that your starter is probably going to s*** the bed.

The Wilpons are definitely too cheap to sign Keuchel, but I have to imagine the Mets will try and acquire a starter via trade at some point. Assuming they're competitive.
Ah, yes, the Negotiator: General Kenobi
<sneaky beeping>

WiggumFan267
4 weeks ago#99
Might be too late by then, and they NEED one for next year. They really needed to sign a Gio kind of guy, and they blew that.

Also today's win... This is the most upset I've ever been after a win where someone didn't get hurt. Just a complete managerial meltdown and some stuff was uncovered that gives me zero confidence in the way this team is managed.

Mickey Callaway's and Brodie Van Wagenan's commitment to ONLY use Edwin Diaz to close game, to get 3 outs at the end of the game, is beyond infuriating. I understand, I guess, if for his health you don't want him to cross-over between innings, but then why not use him in the toughest situation or to get the most important outs of the game? If your so-called "set-up guy" loads the bases in a 1-run game in the 8th inning, wouldn't you want to use your best pitcher to get out of that situation? Why do you HAVE TO save him for the 9th, why does he HAVE to finish the game and he CANNOT pitch in any other situation? Why can't he pitch and just get that one really important out when you need him to in the 8th, and use someone else for the 9th? What if you have the 3 toughest batters in the lineup due up in the 8th? Why wouldn't you rather use your better pitcher there? It is completely insane and such a close-minded way to manage a bullpen.

He said they're committed to him never getting more than 3 outs, which I don't really agree with, because any reliever should be able to do that once in a while, instead of saying it will NEVER happen. But even that fact accepted, you can still use Diaz where he doesn't cross over between innings and he doesn't have to pitch the 9th! If it makes sense for him to pitch the 8th, they're saying he shouldn't do it because he has to pitch the 9th because reasons (obviously, they're managing to get him a Save, which is a stupid statistic anyway).

It should be simple. Use your best reliever in the toughest spot, or to get the most important outs of the game, when it's clear they will be the most important outs (and it should be obvious if its the 8th inning). That's it.

WiggumFan267
4 weeks ago#100
Situation was:

The Mets, with a 1-run lead in the bottom of the 8th put Familia in, which is fine at the moment. But he clearly doesn't have it. The progression is:
Single
Walk
Hard-Hit double play (normally this would be a go-ahead double down the line, but McNeil made a Fantastic play to turn 2)
Walk
Walk

So the bases are loaded with 2 outs, and the Mets with a 1-run lead and they finally take out Familia (2 batters too late but that's a discussion for another day) and this is where any team should put in their best reliever right? Nope. Gsellman is put in, not Diaz. Gsellman promptly walks the next batter on 4 pitches, tying the game. Mercifully, the next batter, Harper, swung at the first pitch and popped up and we went ahead to the 9th and to extras, when the Mets eventually won. The mets are basically saying. No. our best reliever can ONLY pitch 3 outs and he can ONLY pitch the 9th inning. we will never ever use him in any other way
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. 2019 Baseball Topic #1 Opening Day #2