You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. TheRock1525's Top 10 Wrestlemania Hype Promos

User Info: Lopen

Lopen
1 month ago#21
Wrestlemania buzz is still in the air! You can still finish this!
No problem!
This is a cute and pop genocide of love!

User Info: TheRock1525

TheRock1525
1 month ago#22
5. Wrestlemania 30: Bray Wyatt vs. John Cena "Legacy"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0v4J1JsJeI

Oh hey, good to see you again, Bray. There's actually two versions of this. A shorter and arguably tighter version of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppiTzViQZrs

I would argue both have strengths and weaknesses, but the core concept is just so well done. And I think I appreciate the longer version for featuring more of Cena's side of things. See, having to establish a fight around a nebulous concept as a "legacy" would be incredibly dumb in any other setting. Yet, at the time, there was a legit build around the idea of Bray pushing Cena too far and destroying the legacy of Cena. How he could do that in a single match at WM? Yeah silly, but entirely believable thanks to stuff like this video.

And there's some great imagery. "And if you fall..." (showing a winded Cena bending over ready to collapse) "I'll get you there." (cut to a dark shot of Wyatt holding his lantern). In a way, Wyatt was building around the idea that Cena would fall, be consumed by darkness, and Wyatt would be the guiding light to a new Cena. And it's cheating to use Eminem, but he always comes up with such oddities for lyrics. Which is so fitting for an, at the time, an enigma of a man in Wyatt. Of course, they pulled away from all the lyrics that didn't fit Wyatt so it fits.

And they pulled so many great moments of Cena's struggle against Wyatt. Him watching on in his rocking chair only to get blasted by Harper. Rowan tormenting him with his mask. Cena wrapped up in the ropes with the sheep mask over his face. The attack in the Elimination Chamber. It's very much a sign of how big of a hill this actually is for Cena. He's overwhelmed. He's legitimately struggling and having to overcome odds. All the highlights are his past, his legacy.

There's also so many great Wyatt quotes. Like pick a line, it's so good.
TheRock ~ I had a name, my father called me Blues.

Lopen
1 month ago#23
I watched the short version first and can safely say the short version is like, way too short to sell me on a the match. I don't actually get what the feud is about there. It's more like a music video about nothing than a promo for the match.

Long video is much better, though I'm pretty low on Wyatt rambling in general and think Cena does a poor job of selling fear. I could see liking it if I really drank the Wyatt kool aid though.
No problem!

TheRock1525
1 month ago#24
4. Wrestlemania 33: Roman Reigns vs. Undertaker "Blood on my Name"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69h-qJZHfvM

Everything surrounding Taker/Reigns was terrible. I can't think of a single thing I liked about it, before, during, or after.

But god damn did they legitimately put together the best promo package outside of the big 3. And by a solid margin to be honest.

The theme of this video is so well done, I almost can't think it's intentional.

The first "half," so to speak, of the video uses a variation of "God's Gonna Cut You Down." And it makes sense because Taker is the closest thing to God in WWE. And it sells the idea of even Roman will eventually fall to Taker. Like, yeah, Taker had the loss to Lesnar and really a lot of losses to Lesnar, but largely everyone eventually succumbs to Taker. "You can run on for a long time, but some day God's gonna cut you down. Sooner or later God's gonna cut you down." Yes, Roman. Taker will come. Taker will cut you down. Your transgression at the Rumble will not be forgotten, as Taker plans him with a chokeslam. And then we get the highlights of Taker at Wrestlemania...

Then we get a song change.

There's a reckonin' a comin'.
And it burns beyond the grave.
Oh Lazarus, how did your debts get paid?

I mean, it's pretty obvious what those lyrics are in the context of this match. Lazarus, the man raised from the dead by Jesus. A walking Dead Man. The song, along with the video, is letting Taker know that something is coming your way, and you have to pay those debts for all those years.

When the fires, when the fires have surrounded you.
With the hounds of hell coming after you.

It's so well done here. I mean, literally a member of the Shield, the group that used the Cerberus, a hound from hell, as it's logo. And a shot of Roman with "I've got blood on my name" coming out to show that being the one to end Taker was never going to be a celebrated moment. He's gonna have the blood of retiring Taker (granted it didn't stick, but it genuinely felt like it at the time) on his hands or name, so to speak.

And the video moves along with some highlights, then we get the refrain of "Oh Lazarus, how did your debts get paid" as we get a series of spear highlights. Once again, we're seeing how Taker is gonna pay his debts. He's gonna be speared to death by Roman.

Another smart element is how the only physical interactions between Taker and Reigns in the second half are all about Taker making empty threats and gestures. Sitting up, throat slashing, claiming to dig a special hole in Hell for Roman, appearing in the middle of the ring. Yet who is the one getting physical and attacking Taker? Roman. He's laying him out with a spear. Everything about this video is telling the story of Taker's end. Hell, the song literally says "Oh Lazarus, why you so afraid?" Taker is scared. He's trying to threaten Roman away, and he can't. He has to finally give the devil his dues that he owes him from over the years, and Roman is gonna deliver it.

God, this is so well done, I wish it was for a match I actually wanted.
(edited 1 month ago)

TheRock1525
1 month ago#25
Lopen posted...
I watched the short version first and can safely say the short version is like, way too short to sell me on a the match. I don't actually get what the feud is about there. It's more like a music video about nothing than a promo for the match.

I disagree, sometimes short promos can be brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifqd5Mwekm8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i3QgEzYH1U

Lopen
1 month ago#26
Well I'm not saying short can't be good. I'm saying in that case short was not good. I think the feud is a bit too complicated to adequately hype for the time given in the abbreviated one.
No problem!

TheRock1525
1 month ago#27
I'll disagree with that, I think it's better as a longer video but the 1:30 one is really well done.

User Info: ffmasterjose

ffmasterjose
1 month ago#28
Yeah that promo from Twice in a Lifetime is good stuff.

TheRock1525
4 weeks ago#29
I can't believe this didn't purge.

Lopen
4 weeks ago#30
I'm pretty sure I know what two of the top three are but I still want to see them
No problem!
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. TheRock1525's Top 10 Wrestlemania Hype Promos