You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. General Movie Discussion Topic

User Info: Johnbobb

Johnbobb
1 month ago#351
Mr Lasastryke posted...
saw toy story 4 monday. it was quite good.
Khal Kirby, warlord of the Super Star Khalasar
PSN/Steam: CheddarBBQ https://goo.gl/Diw2hs

Johnbobb
1 month ago#352
Tried watching My Days of Mercy tonight after waiting for it for literally 2 years but it keeps buffering

watching Ocean's Eleven instead

Johnbobb
1 month ago#353
saw Booksmart and Pet Sematary

Booksmart was mostly excellent, but it suffered from a few too many genre cliches for my taste most notably the "best friends for life get in a big fight but then immediately make up" felt forced. Great cast though, with Kaitlyn Dever and Billie Lourd especially standing out. Definitely one of the better teen party movies.

Pet Sematary was a book I never really thought would translate that well into a movie, and now two movies later I still stand by that. I think it would make for a really neat Twilight Zone/Black Mirror episode, but just doesn't really have enough plot to fill the runtime, and isn't deep enough to use the time for quiet reflection. It's especially hurt by the fact that the big "twist" 2/3s of the way into the movie everyone already knew was coming because 1. the story is 36 years old and 2. it's literally in the trailer. Changing up that last 3rd doesn't really add anything of substance to what was already a substance-lite movie.

User Info: Hardcore_Adult

Hardcore_Adult
1 month ago#354
Kind of put the break on my movie going at the minute as I think I've used up all "Must-sees". May just see a few "fillers", Market's loaded with those right now.
I'll get back up for good this time and I ain't comin' down...

User Info: CasanovaZelos

CasanovaZelos
4 weeks ago#355
Here's my thoughts on The Lion King:
https://letterboxd.com/foolfantastic/film/the-lion-king-2019/
Film essays and reviews: https://www.youtube.com/c/foolfantastic
Board 8's Top 250 Games 2016 Edition: https://casanovazelos.wordpress.com/2016/04/26/b8top250/

Johnbobb
4 weeks ago#356
Seen lately:

My Days of Mercy

Waited two years for this because I'm a huge fan of both Page and Mara. The performances are mostly great and the subject matter is intriguing, the subtlety of the writing isn't always quite where it needs to be to handle the complicated subject matter. A little bit disappointing but still a solid romantic drama.

Wonder Park

There's a lot of good and a lot of bad here. I'm kind of a sucker for animated movies like this that celebrate creativity, and it's a pretty great film to look at, with bright, fun and sometimes surreal visuals. Story-wise, not great, as it all feels kind of dumbed down. The humor in particular misses significantly more than it lands.

Good Time

This has been on my radar for 2 years now because of hype over Robert Pattinson's performance, and goddamn it is excellent. This wasn't something I'd have thought he was even capable of. Beyond that, it's great, as a crime gone poorly only goes worse and worse to the point that you're torn and whether you want to root for him or against him.

User Info: v_charon

v_charon
4 weeks ago#357
The Lion King got an applause in our theater when it was complete, and the scores for it have been great when you are polling the general audience, gaining an A rating from CinemaScore. The thing is, the movie is good. It's The Lion King, how can it not be good. But the big issue for me was that despite Disney doing a phenomenal job on the graphics and making everything so photo-realistic... therein lies the problem. The characters, real-life animals, are unable to convey very much emotion through their facial expressions. They were limited by keeping it "realistic", and as such many scenes that should have conveyed power felt flat. Honestly it's heartbreaking to me in a way, to see one of the greatest films of all time redone in a way that just wasn't... nearly as good. It was never going to be better, but it's hard to say this was even a fitting little tribute to the masterpiece, like I felt Aladdin was earlier this year.

I don't know. I mean, it's so hard to put into words.
:>
Truly smilin'

User Info: v_charon

v_charon
4 weeks ago#358
Ranking 2019 films (that I've seen):

Child's Play
Shazam!
Toy Story 4
Spider-Man: Far From Home
The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
Aladdin
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
Us
Pokémon Detective Pikachu
Dumbo
Alita: Battle Angel
The Lion King
Crawl
Ma
Brightburn
Escape Room
The Secret Life of Pets 2
Missing Link
Fighting with My Family
UglyDolls
Wonder Park
Pet Sematary
Annabelle Comes Home
The Prodigy
Happy Death Day 2U
The Curse of La Llorna
Midsommar

As you can tell, I have a definite preference for what I watch in theaters and it consists of animation and horror. Sometimes I'll see other stuff. Yes, there's no Endgame on that list. I never saw all the Marvel movies so I figured I'd just not bother with it. Until I can sit down and watch them all, I probably won't watch that one. I'm fine with seeing certain ones featuring heroes I'm up to date with though.
:>
Truly smilin'

User Info: Waluigi1

Waluigi1
4 weeks ago#359
v_charon posted...
The Lion King got an applause in our theater when it was complete, and the scores for it have been great when you are polling the general audience, gaining an A rating from CinemaScore. The thing is, the movie is good. It's The Lion King, how can it not be good. But the big issue for me was that despite Disney doing a phenomenal job on the graphics and making everything so photo-realistic... therein lies the problem. The characters, real-life animals, are unable to convey very much emotion through their facial expressions. They were limited by keeping it "realistic", and as such many scenes that should have conveyed power felt flat. Honestly it's heartbreaking to me in a way, to see one of the greatest films of all time redone in a way that just wasn't... nearly as good. It was never going to be better, but it's hard to say this was even a fitting little tribute to the masterpiece, like I felt Aladdin was earlier this year.

I don't know. I mean, it's so hard to put into words.

I get what your saying and agree completely. It was a great movie, but it at times it felt like listening to an audio drama with an animal documentary on in the background or something. Like it was kinda disconnected.
PSN, and GT: Waluigi1
Switch FC: SW-6848-3841-9099

User Info: jcgamer107

jcgamer107
4 weeks ago#360
v_charon posted...
Ranking 2019 films (that I've seen):

I would put Midsommar first

Midsommar - 9/10
Rocketman - 8/10
Toy Story 4 - 7.5/10
Us - 7/10