You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Mycro ranks the 278 VGM tracks that were nominated by BOARD EIGHT [rankings] 2

User Info: Se7enthrust

Se7enthrust
4 months ago#31
Tag.

(Totally have been so busy that I didnt realize I forgot about this.)
"Best read of the game goes to se7en. Who correctly surmised this town is full of idiots." - Corrik
Se7enthrust ~ Dude_Dexter

Se7enthrust
4 months ago#32
Haste_2 posted...
It's taken Mycro over three months to rank 44 pieces. At this rate, it's going to take another 16 months for this to finish.

(wake-up call for Mycro)

I know his struggle very well. I cant even remember how much time it has taken me to countdown the first 500/1300 songs in my music ranking.

Its a lot of work. Speaking of which, @NFUN How goes your 1,000 song ranking. Its been several months and I havent heard much about it. Are you still making a list?
"Best read of the game goes to se7en. Who correctly surmised this town is full of idiots." - Corrik

User Info: NFUN

NFUN
4 months ago#33
I'm at like 700 semi-ranked. Should be done by July or earlier
Video Game Music Contest 13 winner: Terraria Calamity - Servants of the Scourge

Se7enthrust
4 months ago#34
NFUN posted...
I'm at like 700 semi-ranked. Should be done by July or earlier

I told you it would take time. :P

I think I spent around 16 months just compiling/sorting/pre-ranking my list all before actually kicking off the official ranking on 4/20 last year! (And I've only dropped 500+ rankings so far)

It's a ton of work for sure and I'm glad to see that you haven't given up and are still working on your ranking. Definitely looking forward to it.

(I feel like an absolute nutjob for tackling my next ranking though which currently stands at over 3,000 Nes chiptunes. Truth be told, it'll probably be my last ranking ever lol.)

User Info: MycroProcessor

MycroProcessor
4 months ago#35
233rd
Game: Radiant Historia
Title: The Red Locus
Composer: Yoko Shimomura
Nominator: OrangeCrush980
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js-kwdLIWyc

this song is very sad ;-; GOOD . I have talked about how my opinion on shimomura music is very mood-dependent and right now I am luckily in a shimomura mood so I can actively enjoy this but when I am not in that mood I will probably think this is the most boring song that exists. This is not one of my favorites from this soundtrack, usually what I think of one of my lesser favorites of the ones I know well honestly but I don't dislike it. Still has that Dramatic Sad flair that I appreciate about it. Musically simple and tropey but focusing on the tropes that I sometimes like. A lot of times her music winds up feeling very "grey" to me like there's |nothing distinct about it, and honestly...? that's ok, that''s not necessarily a bad thing, just means it's harder to actually commit the tracks to memory even if I enjoy listening to them while I'm listening to them.

One time for a project in college for an audio production class I had to pick out music for a radio drama that I would be helping put together and I asked board 8 on the b8vgm aim for suggestions on what fit with the Sad themes explored in the thing in the THE thing and they gave me many suggestions but the one I wound up using in the end was "An Earnest Desire of Grey" from Radiant Historia. some people did not think it fit and other people thought it fit but that is what we used in the end ANYWAYS I think that's my first exposure to this soundtrack that I liked and although I may act like I'm lukewarm to it as a whole...I'm not, I like a lot of random tracks from it. The Red Locus isn't one of them but I don't dislike it, and I'm not neutral to it. It's kind of cool to me. so there. Low GREEN tier fits that.

The things that stand out most to me here are the chURCH organ like the angry church man is going to tear out my organs because it is very intimidating at times. also I like when the melodic line at :56 gets repeated but modulated up 3 semitones at 1:08. It's not a particularly "obvious" key change even though that's what it is. I like modulations, whether they're really blunt or obscured...this is something that /W0uld/ be blunt since it's just the same thing repeated but transposed up, but something about how it's presented doesn't feel that way to me, just feels like a casual moment of TRUCK (truth) THE SONG. it feels like it is just adding to the number of notes that the song can play which is the main reason I like key changes but especially when they're made casual like that, feels more free varied in terms of what it is capable of expressing and less like a child song.

1) hi yokonkonon soundorurna: bpaalink the boss umusic man song:

2) three

my favorite Radiant Historia song is "Memories of the World" (Which might actually be my 2nd favorite shimomura song period, I really like it, would've done well in this topic) and my 2nd favorite Radiant historia song is probably "An Earnest Desire of Grey" mostly because of the history (historia) lesson I have just given about when I was inside of the college so it is nostalgaic for when my life was bad (good) in 2011.

ALSO 233 IS MY FAVORITE NUMBER SO CONGRATULATIONS ON EARNING SLOT 233 THAT IS A SECRETLY IMPORTANT GOOD SLOT NUIMBER TO EARN IN THIS TOPIC
time
(edited 4 months ago)

User Info: NFUN

NFUN
4 months ago#36
fun 233 fact: the digits in "233" add up to "8". wow!
Video Game Music Contest 13 winner: Terraria Calamity - Servants of the Scourge

User Info: pyresword

pyresword
4 months ago#37
Also 2^3 is 8 and then there's another 3 for some reason.
Oh woops. Putting Advokaiser in my sig like this until I think of something more clever

User Info: MycroProcessor

MycroProcessor
4 months ago#38
hmm I should post in this topic so it doesn't disappear. I promise I'll go faster with this after vgmc round 1 and especially after vgmc round 2...
time

Se7enthrust
4 months ago#39
Wow, I'm surprised this didn't purge. How long does it take for topics to purge on B8 now?

It's kinda weird going from a 2day cycle to whatever it is now. (a week?)

User Info: Mr Lasastryke

Mr Lasastryke
4 months ago#40
topics take 10 days to purge now.
Geothermal terpsichorean ejectamenta
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Mycro ranks the 278 VGM tracks that were nominated by BOARD EIGHT [rankings] 2