You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Tsunami does blind playthroughs of VNs--Grand Revival [spoilers] [ztd] [aa6]

User Info: TsunamiXXVIII

TsunamiXXVIII
1 month ago#91
Before continuing with gameplay, I want to address one thing. Throughout this playthrough, I've been critical of this game because I was told that it was geared to long-time fans of the franchise, which is to say, the older ones, and it feels more like "babby's first VN". And, okay, yeah, that's still true...but it's designed for veteran Pokémon fans, not necessarily veteran VN fans. I mean, I'll admit that I had vaguely been spoiled as to Mewtwo's presence in this game, but even if I hadn't, the association between Mewtwo and this mysterious substance known as "R" would be there for anyone who's been playing since the beginning--but only them, as the Berserk Gene was only ever in Generation II. (For those who don't remember, it was a held item that would automatically be consumed upon entering the battle and had the same effect as being hit with the move Swagger. At the time, it was a questionable pick for a held item due to the risk of hurting yourself in confusion, maybe useful for a low-attack physical tank like Steelix but probably not even there; after the addition of Abilities in Gen III, it probably could've been a solid pick for a Pokémon with Own Tempo, though this is mitigated by the fact that most Pokémon with Own Tempo as one of their abilities would rather have one of their other abilities.)

And to a younger player, that association wouldn't be there. I haven't played the Let's Go games, I know they're Gen I remakes, so maybe by now the "kiddies" know that Mewtwo was originally set up as villainous, but the last time it was in a movie it was purely heroic.

Chapter 4. Cappucci Island. Tim and Pikachu waited a few days to hear from Inspector Holiday after Carlos's arrest. They're back in the park, feeding the birds. Amanda's Fletchling shows up with a note, saying Baker has something to speak to them about. Inspector Holiday's there, and he feeds a donut to Baker's Accelgor. They learned that Carlos was taking orders from someone else in order to get his funding for research into R. The same person was responsible for Harry's accident. Carlos says Harry was being attacked by that person, likely because he knew too much. Carlos never met the person, though, only speaking by phone and delivering the R via proxies. Carlos said he couldn't figure out which Pokémon's cells are part of the base for R. The police are doing their own investigation based on Dr. Waals's research. Talking to Baker adds little more other than reaffirming the connection between the incidents, R, and the accident. Pikachu gives a prompt and suggests we talk to the developer of R to learn more, that being Dr. Waals. Tim suggests it to Holiday, and he says he was thinking the same thing and directs him to Cappucci Island, where Waals is living. He also mentions that one of his men, Brad McMaster, is on the island for another assignment and can help Tim out if he needs it. He's ready to rush off, but Holiday says there's only one ferry per day. Baker cuts in, and Pikachu is met with a sense of dread. He says he knows someone who can help them, and calls Amanda in. She says she's licensed to drive a boat, Pikachu groaning throughout it all. Asking Amanda about boat driving reveals that she sometimes goes on rides because she enjoys the feeling of speed, and Pikachu says he thinks his bad hunch was correct. Oh, come on, we've been through worse in this topic. We go to the cafe to wait. Pikachu wishes it were anyone but Amanda. Ludicolo seems happier than usual today, and mentions a Pokémon Carnival. Pablo says it's the biggest festival in Ryme City. He and Ludicolo always go. There's a parade at the end that's the highlight. They take off, and it's way too fast for both Tim and Pikachu, especially the latter. He's still nauseous when they arrive on solid ground. Then he's lured off by a real estate developer named Louise Milligan, whose partner is a Spritzee. The Spritzee's perfume seems to be what lured him in.
Also known as Cyberchao X.
(edited 1 month ago)

TsunamiXXVIII
1 month ago#92
Louise says Waals's home is right down the path they're on. Spritzee says she doesn't like him. We also meet a delivery/transport service, Timburr Transport. Another islander mentions a heavy fog that's been rolling in lately, and also that the Azumarill she's with was found injured, likely one of the ones that lives at the lake. The first house has a triangle mark flag, and the second, an X. That house's occupant mentions that Waals used to take walks by the lake, but hasn't since the fog started coming in. There's an injured Ducklett in the path. An aspiring Pokémon Ranger named Milo Green shows up and heals it with a potion. When Tim mentions Waals, Milo asks if he's with "those other guys", but doesn't elaborate when he confirms he doesn't know what Milo's talking about. Third house has a square...this seems more like something I'd expect from a multi-platform game; it's the exact same symbols as a Playstation controller. Ducklett says it was injured at the lake, but couldn't see what did it because of the fog. Waals is the one who's been training Milo. A lot of the other islanders dislike him, but Milo thinks he's a good guy. There's a Manectric at the entrance to Dr. Waals's home, which makes Milo think he has a guest. McMaster shows up and is trying to apprehend Waals, saying he has reliable testimony that Waals was seen at the lake and that that, along with his previous record, means he's got to be the culprit. Tim tries to step in, and is dismissed as an "amateur", though when he identifies himself as a detective, McMaster says that that changes things, only to immediately say exactly the same thing. Tim gets information on the fog incident--it rolled in about a week ago, and Pokémon have been fleeing the lake ever since. He also says that Waals has been experimenting on the Pokémon from the lake--earning another objection from Milo--and that the bridge to the lake is broken. Waals says he goes to the lake for Potion ingredients, but people only believe what they want to believe, so there's no convincing Brad. Milo seems to know another way to the lake, but he doesn't want to say anything with Brad around. Nothing else to investigate in there, so we leave. Manectric is Brad's partner and has the same attitude as he does. Brad's men admit that he can be a bit stubborn, but they know he means well. There seem to be some glowing eyes out in the fog. Everyone says that the fog needs to be lifted for them to repair the bridge. Also, Waals's house had the circle. We start back to town, and Milo stops us. He tells us of a secret path, and says that people always took something when they went through it. An older villager vaguely remembers something about that, but can't remember what. Ducklett and Tropius are of no help. Timburr mentions that the fog hides smells, too. The old villager also mentions the thing with the eyes. The construction guy knows, though. There was a festival by the lake, and everyone got scrolls. This was before the bridge was built. He directs us back to the old man. He gives us the scroll. There's a full moon backed by green, a half moon backed by red, and a new moon backed by blue. The old man says that the "two scales" will show the way. The monument in town that we saw earlier has scales, but there are three of them. There's a broken statue near Waals's house, though, and it seems like it might be the right one. Milo asks to join us.

If thou wisheth to reach the lake, follow the light of the moon and face the three challenges.

The night of the full moon is beginning. Pass through the shadow of darkness, and when thou witnesseth the split moon, the lake shall bestow its blessings.

Okay, so it sounds like the order is full moon, new moon, half moon.

There's a statue of a Tropius, it looks really realistic. They comment on the green leaves. Stepping forwards, there's an injured Feebas, who Milo recognizes. It says it was swimming in the lake when something suddenly threw it.

TsunamiXXVIII
1 month ago#93
The next statue is busted up, but it looks like it was once blue. And the third one is a Stunfisk, but that's brown. It's time to solve it. We go down the path by the Tropius statue first, and run into some Stunfisk. Once we've dodged them, the next three statues have lost their color, but they're Ducklett, Wingull, and Timburr. The next one we're supposed to do is blue...I guess that's Ducklett? Wingull is "blue", too, but I guess it's considered primarily white. I start down the path and am told to solve the puzzle first. Yeah, they even have the weird tan for Timburr's primary color. Ducklett's path is the one that has the eyes, anyway. There are West Sea Shellos here, as well as a Grotle. And the three statues are Grotle, Azumarill...and East Sea Shellos. Grotle tells us that the water quality has changed over time. It's been living here since before the humans arrived. When examining the Shellos statue, Pikachu suggests we talk to Milo. Talking to him about the lake reveals that when he was young, he was saved by a Pokémon, and shows a beautiful scale as proof. A Prism Scale, I believe, which means he was saved by a Milotic. ...Really, game? He says that Shellos's color changes based on where they live or on the water quality, so what Grotle told us explains why the color changed. I go into the Case Notes to confirm it, and upon solving this one, we arrive at Lake Cappucci. A pair of Poliwag comes bouncing in. There are a couple of Masquerain flying in, and Tim thinks they're causing the fog. Pikachu asks them to stop, and they say no. They're worried about something...outsiders. Feebas convinces them to stop. Hm, the glowing eyes did look like Masquerain's wing patterns, but...why would they show so brightly? Though the movement pattern does support it being their wings. Ah, but it's a "scary Pokémon living in the lake" that they were trying to hide from with that fog. Masquerain says the Pokémon moved in the other day. Feebas remembers its body being clamped by a pincer. There's a chunk of wood...and a tree with a piece missing. Masquerain says the scary Pokémon did that. Something's in the water. Feebas volunteers to investigate, and gets hit by a Crawdaunt. Poliwag confirms that Crawdaunt is very strong, and they're worried about being kicked out. We also find a broken fishing rod. Crawdaunt aren't native to this island, but Milo says they can live anywhere. Masquerain says it has a temper; they tried to scare it off but it still attacked. Milo adds that they're territorial. There's a broken, empty bottle. We can't leave the area yet, even though we've talked to everyone, so we must be able to solve the next mystery. The first answer is "territorial", but the next question is "how did it get here?" And we need to provide two clues, out of three that we have--claw mark, broken fishing rod, broken bottle. All three combos fail, so we need something else. Ah, here we go. A wooden box fragment. It's not the box and the rod, so maybe the box and the bottle? Nope, it's the box and the tree. Oh, the claw marks are on the inside of the box! So Crawdaunt was brought to the lake in the box. We return to Waals's home to report our findings, and Brad accuses us of jumping to conclusions for saying that this exonerates Waals. I expected as much. As we leave the house, the Timburr company is moving wood, likely to rebuild the bridge, but it also has the square flag. Ah, those marked flags are signs for Timburr to know where to bring the lumber. Just let them know once which flag they're bringing things to, and they'll transport it there every time after that. Tim thinks maybe the culprit used the flag system to trick the Timburr into transporting Crawdaunt to the lake. The chief says there's no special mark for the lake, though--the bulletin board in town has a full list of the symbols they use. Talking to Louise, she talked to Waals a few times about parting with his property for her planned resort... She has motive!
(edited 1 month ago)

TsunamiXXVIII
1 month ago#94
Bump

TsunamiXXVIII
1 month ago#95
Didn't bring the 3DS with me this time.

TsunamiXXVIII
1 month ago#96
Possibly later today?

TsunamiXXVIII
1 month ago#97
Well, today is a sick day, so absolutely no reason not to play.

TsunamiXXVIII
1 month ago#98
A villager says he's never heard if Crawdaunt, but it sounds dangerous so he'll stay away. Brad is busy "gathering testimony" from Amanda, Pikachu accusing him of just flirting because she has nothing to do with this case. When asked about Crawdaunt, he again focuses on Waals, saying he must have done it for revenge on Pokémon and humanity in general. Tim says he has no evidence, but he says the truth will be revealed soon enough. I mean, I know that it's probably Louise, as she has motive for wanting Waals gone, but I really want it to be Brad.Talking with Amanda reveals further evidence that Brad has a crush on her. Amanda says he's "friendly and funny", which both Tim and Pikachu are incredulous of. Finally, I make my way back to the board. We get confirmation that no mark exists for the lake, and see a recruitment ad for Timburr Transport. Though they seem to be advertising it more like a gym than a construction company. And we get collection records. 2 Triangle, 1 Square, 3 X, 1 Circle. We decide to go talk to the villagers about their package deliveries last week. The woman in Triangle House did indeed receive 2, and while nothing seemed strange about the delivery itself, she did notice the Timburr were carrying a big wooden box that day. It was confirmed large enough to hold Crawdaunt and was delivered south, in the direction of the bridge. We automatically update the Case Notes. The old man of X House did receive three deliveries--a camera, a tripod, and "whatnot". He says he wants to take pictures of the island's natural beauty before the resort goes up. It's a tourist resort to show off the nature. He's not thrilled about the resort project, either. The man in Square House got one package, a record player, but it was broken on arrival and couldn't be fixed. Louise was there, too, saying he'd need to order replacement parts. Ah, she was helping the chief put stickers on all the boxes! If there was an unrecorded symbol, she could have put it on. Before I can check if Dr. Waals got a lone package, though, we get pulled into a cutscene with Brad telling Louise that Waals is behind this. Brad says that Tim's continued investigation will be of no use, but Louise actually seems to encourage Tim. Odd...is she just confident that Tim won't be able to find enough evidence to convince Brad that his preconceptions were wrong? Or is she legitimately not the culprit? I feel like it's got to be the former; the evidence is all piling up for Louise, while the only evidence towards anyone else is circumstantial (Brad's refusal to consider another suspect besides Waals making him suspicious himself). But Spritzee's scent irritates Manectric's nose, making it sneeze. That's probably going to be important--the same thing will happen at the lake even without Louise present, proving she was there before.

Spritzee seems offended that Manectric didn't like its scent, and Louise says there's no way that the Timburr could've done it, because the chief checks every box himself; Louise was even helping him that day and saw nothing odd. She's surprised that Waals could be the culprit, but admits that she'd heard about his checkered past. Brad takes the Timburr lead as a possibility, but uses it as further evidence to Waals's guilt, and when told that he shouldn't be telling everyone Waals is the culprit without proof, he says it's a police officer's job to remove any doubts from the public. Waals suggests that he was convicted by the media at PCL, too. But he says he wasn't expecting any packages and didn't receive any! So that 1 package to Circle House is suspicious. Milo mentions Louise seeming to be in a good move when she was helping out by the docks, and that he was surprised since she'd been in a foul mood since Waals refused to sell his property. We get a goofy Pikachu interlude, with Pikachu attempting to make Manectric fetch a Frisbee and instead having to fetch his hat.

TsunamiXXVIII
1 month ago#99
I head to the docks, but the chief isn't there. Must still be by the bridge. Yeah, the bridge is repaired and Brad has already crossed. Manectric's still standing guard at Waals's house, though, so my idea for sneezing evidence might not work. He says he wishes he could ask the Timburr about things, and also confirms again that Louise helped him with the sorting process. Oh, but he says she didn't have her usual scent! Heh, I guess she didn't want to risk it getting on Crawdaunt's box. Or maybe Crawdaunt is sensitive to it just like Manectric. Wait, she had it at first, but he left something at the office, and when he got back, she didn't have it anymore? That doesn't make sense... I start across the bridge, and Pikachu reminds me that we need to interview the Timburr. The first one we speak to says there was no package for Waals. He gets defensive when accused of making a mistake, but mentions that they carried a box with a donut-like mark on it. Ah, that's perfect! It'd be easy enough to color it in afterwards to make it look like it was a solid circle, which is Waals's mark. The other one says something similar. We head to the lake, and Feebas is there, searching for Milo. And then Feebas finds a "strange thing", which turns out to be a piece of wood...with part of a donut mark on it! Maybe. Fletchling's here too, and it mistook Feebas for a dirty rag, but gave it medicinal herbs to apologize for poking it. A cutscene where Brad says he finally has conclusive evidence--the symbol for Waals's home, pulled from the lake. But we can look at all the evidence, and there seem to be a lot more pieces of wood with white paint on it. The yellow circle was the inner portion of the donut! There's also a dirty plate and a soccer ball, and more of the box that Crawdaunt was in. I go to the case notes, am not allowed to do anything, and then am immediately told to look at the case notes. And then still can't do anything. Oh, I have to investigate the evidence again to do it. We create the donut mark with the four pieces of wood and the yellow sticker, and now we just need to find the flag. And now we slowly follow the Timburr back to the lake. Ah, we wouldn't have been able to get there in our own investigation because it's in the area that Crawdaunt was blocking. Milo tries to challenge Crawdaunt, but cowers, and Feebas jumps up and takes the blow for him. Then it evolves into Milotic and defeats Crawdaunt. And the flag is found. Pikachu smells something; it's Spritzee's scent, it's on the flag! We head back, and sure enough, Manectric sneezes after sniffing the flag. That's all we need to be allowed to accuse Louise. Brad, of course, is resistant to any idea that it could be anyone but Waals, and Louise finally reacts the way I'd expect her to. Tim recreates the ring mark. And he says that the time when the chief went to his office was time enough, because all she had to do was signal to Spritzee. Spritzee was the one who actually carried the flag, which is why its scent has soaked into it and it makes Manectric sneeze. Brad says he has a headache at the idea that Waals isn't the culprit, but then asks for motive. And Tim gives it--she needed to frame Waals so she could get the land for her resort. She doesn't deny it. Milo gets mad, but Waals calms him down, and Brad, finally convinced of Louise's guilt, takes her away. Tim asks Waals about R, and he says another man asked him about that two months ago, and that he, too, had a Pikachu with him. Tim surmises it was his father. He says he turned Harry away without telling him anything, that R was originally supposed to be a miracle drug made from a certain Pokémon's cells...ah, of course. Not Mewtwo; Mew. But the ones they used were indeed Mewtwo's! Hence why it did what it did. He mentions the Berserk Gene by name. Waals knows nothing of Carlos, but says he had one lab assistant at PCL, but they've lost touch. As we leave, Waals mentions that Harry said he was investigating Fine Park.

TsunamiXXVIII
1 month ago#100
He says it's an amusement park, and there was an incident there about a year ago where a Pokémon suddenly went wild during a parade. I bet this is related to that Pokémon Carnival that Pablo and Ludicolo mentioned. Pikachu suggests going to see Milo before leaving. Milo mentions that Brad took the Crawdaunt away, returning it to its home. Pikachu somehow falls asleep on the boat ride home, and dreams of his past with Harry. Talking to Waals, battling...something... and the accident. Pikachu's inability to use attacks ever since the accident is another mystery, and I feel like that can't even necessarily be explained away by the Mystery Dungeon theory. Amanda wonders if Pikachu just doesn't like boats and apologizes for scaring him, and Pikachu says it takes more than her driving to scare him; maybe he's just getting old. End of chapter, so that's a good stopping point even if it's early in a post and I usually try to fill these close to the character limit.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Tsunami does blind playthroughs of VNs--Grand Revival [spoilers] [ztd] [aa6]