You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Umineko Theatregoing Topic *unmarked spoilers for the whole series*

User Info: Reg

Reg
2 months ago#201
Dlanor directly acknowledged that it was possible to create a coherent, entertaining mystery that didn't follow Knox though...

User Info: Eerieka

Eerieka
2 months ago#202
Regardless, I was not happy with the 'trick' used in The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. >_> While it might be possible to argue it didn't violate the rules it did, it just overall felt kinda... 'dirty' to me.
Account created-9/10/04. Just a normal GameFAQs user/leprechaun
Ramza: rofl. Rofel: You say my name? -Eise

User Info: GANON1025

GANON1025
2 months ago#203
So what mystery novels would you all recommend?
https://i.imgur.com/G17qCv1.gif

User Info: Cyouni

Cyouni
2 months ago#204
I'd suggest reading Crooked House eventually, it's quite good.

User Info: Raka_Putra

Raka_Putra
2 months ago#205
The thing to note is that Agatha Christie was basically the pioneer in exploring ways to subvert mystery fiction. Her books were pushing boundaries in whodunnits, so she wasn't terribly concerned with fair play rules (though she does try to be fair enough in most cases).
All that eventually led to Umineko.
I don't wanna show off no more.
Play the saucy Swiss miss no more.

User Info: Eerieka

Eerieka
2 months ago#206
I'm aware, which is why I still hold her in high regard. I just learned the hard way not to apply rules to her books which were written before said rules were developed.
Account created-9/10/04. Just a normal GameFAQs user/leprechaun
Ramza: rofl. Rofel: You say my name? -Eise

User Info: Cyouni

Cyouni
2 months ago#207
Eerieka posted...
I'm aware, which is why I still hold her in high regard. I just learned the hard way not to apply rules to her books which were written before said rules were developed.

You should also take into account this bit of Knox's 1st:
The second half of the rule is more difficult to state precisely, especially in view of some remarkable performances by Mrs. Christie. It would be more exact to say that the author must not imply an attitude of mystification in the character who turns out to be the criminal.

User Info: Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil
2 months ago#208
up
https://imgtc.com/i/uWMMlnN.png
I've got a home on the other side

User Info: Reg

Reg
1 month ago#209
Dels posted...
also, why would real-life-battler jump out a window just to prove a point

is it just because he hates erika that much?

He literally gets it

Then he disregards everything because he doesn't actually realize he gets it

but he gets it

User Info: JeffreyRaze

JeffreyRaze
1 month ago#210
He's having such a hard time because he's throwing everything out. He's noticing he's confused, then not even trying to sort out the confusion. It's getting a bit frustrating to read >_>. Still fun overall though, haha
JeffRaze, for all your random spellcasting needs
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Umineko Theatregoing Topic *unmarked spoilers for the whole series*