• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Se7en Ranks 1,300 songs from the --{| 70's| 80's| 90's| 00's| 10's |}-- #7

User Info: Se7enthrust

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#391
====================================
{ 678th Place } [00's][ 173rd Place]
Song: "3 Libras"
Band: A Perfect Circle
Album: Mer de Noms
---{ 2001 }---
Genre: Alternative Rock
Score:[9.1][9.2][6.2][8.1][3.2][6.3][9.2] = [51.3] = [7.328]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9MAg9E5K3w

Write-Up:
I remember a time when I was a Tool fan that I got super excited about this band... but then they kind of let me down. The lead member is of course Maynard James Keenan the vocalist for Tool. The band only made 4 albums but had a bunch of associated acts including Tool, Ashes Divide, Puscifer, Nine Inch Nails and Tapeworm. Before I was a temporary fan I had a friend that only listened to Tool because it was the only band he had introduced to our group of friends and he took pride in that for some reason. I hadn't heard of the band before he brought it to my attention so I'll give him that but I'm willing to bet he doesn't even know the names of the band members lol. He was never that kind of a fan of anything. Anyway, it's an ok song. I like Judith also but that didn't even make it into the ranking if that tells you anything.
"Best read of the game goes to se7en. Who correctly surmised this town is full of idiots." - Corrik
Se7enthrust ~ Dude_Dexter

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#392
{ 677th Place } [90's][ 169th Place]
Song: "L'amour Toujour"
Band: Gigi D'Agostino
Album: L'Amour Toujours
---{ 1999 }---
Genre: Eurodance
Score:[9.2][8.2][7.2][6.2][5.2][7.1][8.2] = [51.3] = [7.328]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD0Mm6WIcYs

Write-Up:
So... at some point in 1999 I became weirdly obsessed with Eurodance listening to everything from Eiffel 65 to Alice Deejay some of which you'll see in this ranking. It wasn't a terribly long spell since 1999 had a lot of successful genres to offer but I was totally enamored by the club beats. I didn't spend too much time going out because I worked a lot my Senior year while going to school but I did hit up a couple of raves that year. I never took any psychotropic drugs because I was young and didn't need them but it didn't stop me from tripping out on good vibes and getting my dance on. If you've never heard this tune before now I hope you like it because it's a very fun tune imo.
"Best read of the game goes to se7en. Who correctly surmised this town is full of idiots." - Corrik

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#393
{ 676th Place } [10's][ 104th Place] @Snake5555555555
Song: "1955"
Band: Hilltop Hoods
Album: Drinking from the Sun, Walking Under Stars Restrung
---{ 2016 }---
Genre: Hip Hop
Score:[9.2][9.2][8.1][0.3][9.1][9.2][6.2] = [51.3] = [7.328]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD8flUkymrM

Write-Up:
Aww man... total bummer Snake. It looks like your nominations are finished. I like that your highest ranking tune is a fun one though. The beat is infectious but unfortunately I'm not into the Nelly Furtado-ish vocals. It might have actually gone a little bit higher if it wasn't for that. You got creamed in the unfamiliarity category since your recommendation is the first I've ever seen this song. Stay tuned until after the ranking though and you may see this go much higher without that category. I was surprised that this wasn't as popular as it obviously should have been but that is still a rising Top 100 # since this song is still relatively new in comparison to everything else on the list. It feels like it should have been a summertime hit but 2016/2017 wasn't the greatest for me so it's possible I just missed it.

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#394
Welcome to the 4th of 20 Nominator Reviews in which I give a personal countdown to each and every nominator. In case you guys missed your rankings during the rollout, you will have the opportunity to review them all in this series of posts.

Fourth Nominator we will be reviewing is... Snake5555555555

Snake5555555555 { +16,011/3,206 = { 4.994 Points }
[Nomination List Ranking Order]
[70's]
[7th Place] {1,121st ][ 202nd } "Death or Glory" - The Clash
[9th Place] {1,149th ][ 215th } "The Vibrators" - War Zone
[14th Place] {1,255th ][ 251st } "Trouble" - Little Feat
[80's]
[15th Place] {1,275th ][ 254th } "Slip It In" - Black Flag
[4th Place] {994th ][ 213th } "Hip to Be Square" - Huey Lewis and the News
[13th Place] {1,191st ][ 238th } "Hangin' Tree" - Green River
[90's]
[11th Place] {1,161st ][ 238th } "The Vitamin" - Incubus
[8th Place] {1,147th ][ 235th } "N.W.O." - Ministry
[5th Place] {1,008th ][ 216th } "Vote With a Bullet" - Corrosion of Conformity
[00's]
[10th Place] {1,158th ][ 240th } "Nth Degree" - Morningwood
[2nd Place] {797th ][ 196th } "Cyanide" - Metallica
[12th Place] {1,176th ][ 244th } "White Liar" - Miranda Lambert
[10's]
[6th Place] {1,075th ][ 212th } "All You Had To Do Was Stay" - Taylor Swift
[3rd Place] {843rd ][ 148th } "New Years Resolution" - Handguns
[1st Place] {676th ][ 104th } "1955" - Hilltop Hoods

===============================

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#395
[15th Place]
{ 1,275th Place } [80's][ 254th Place]
Song: "Slip It In"
Band: Black Flag
Album: Slip It In
---{ 1984 }---
Genre: Hardcore Punk
Score:[3.2][2.2][3.2][0.3][3.1][2.2][2.3] = [17.5] = [2.5]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f-4uYm9-uw

Write-Up:
Um... Not a song I am comfortable listnening to at home for sure with kids around. Hell this one even makes me uncomfortable when I'm by myself. I honestly can't say I've even listened to a whole lot of Hardcore Punk and if this song is an indicator of how brash it is then maybe that's why I've avoided it most of my life. I warn you all that this song is a little explicit by the end. I mean, I'm no prude but this is kinda over the top and in your face with the sexual overtones. It's got a beat but it isn't too redeeming for the other issues I have with the song unfortunately.

[14th Place]
{ 1,255th Place } [70's][ 251st Place]
Song: "Trouble"
Band: Little Feat
Album: Sailin' Shoes
---{ 1972 }---
Genre: Blues Rock
Score:[4.1][2.2][4.2][0.3][4.3][2.2][2.2] = [19.5] = [2.785]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLINF4d3GCU

Write-Up:
I'm generally an acoustic fan so this tune catches my attention right away but then the lyrics come in and I have to wonder if this is meant to be comedy which makes me take the song less seriously for some reason. It's a fine song really but I don't think I'll need to listen to any of the bands other work if this is what is to be expected. I like a good Blues Rock song but this just isn't in the group of songs that I would consider top tier.

[13th Place]
{ 1,191st Place } [80's][ 238th Place]
Song: "Hangin' Tree"
Band: Green River
Album: Sub Pop 200
---{ 1988 }---
Genre: Punk Rock
Score:[5.2][3.2][5.1][0.3][4.3][4.2][2.2] = [24.5] = [3.5]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_nT_az_xhY

Write-Up:
I've never really listened to anything from this band before and this song is more Punk Rock but the band has been labeled as one of the earliest pioneers of Grunge. Also, this song should not be confused with the James Newton Howard song "Hanging Tree" from the Hunger Games: Mocking Jay movie. They are completely different.

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#396
[12th Place]
{ 1,176th Place } [00's][ 244th Place]
Song: "White Liar"
Band: Miranda Lambert
Album: Revolution
---{ 2009 }---
Genre: Country
Score:[5.2][1.3][5.2][0.3][4.2][1.1][8.2] = [25.5] = [3.642]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoR2Oax82kY

Write-Up:
Wait... what? This is one of your nominations Snake? I'm kinda shocked, didn't peg you for someone that liked Country. I, on the other hand do not care much for Country music. I can deal with Classic Country but Pop Country or what is basically known as regular Country now (since Pop Country now has evolved into something else) just never caught on with me. I actually don't even find this chic attractive at all if it tells you much how anti-country I am lol. I settled at middle of the road on the beat and vocals here and the fans clearly like it but I had actually never heard this song before and it is definitely something I'd never be caught singing along to.

[11th Place]
{ 1,161st Place } [90's][ 238th Place]
Song: "The Vitamin"
Band: Incubus
Album: S.C.I.E.N.C.E.
---{ 1997 }---
Genre: Alternative Metal
Score:[4.2][4.2][4.1][3.2][5.1][3.2][3.2] = [27.2] = [3.885]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi_HnGx0t1Q

Write-Up:
I am most certainly familiar with Incubus but I wouldn't go as far as saying that this is one of their better songs as I have heard better. It's still on ok metal track despite how short it is though. The message is the highest scoring thing for me here and everything else is kind of under par. For me this isn't really a song that you can even sing to tbh because of the constant change in tempo vocally as the lead singer Brandon Boyd switches from spoken word to singing and back. I like some of the stuff the band has done but as I am not a die hard fan, I prefer their stuff from Make Yourself much better. One interesting thing I have learned here that I didn't know before is what the band's name actually means and it's more graphic than I ever took the band for. For those of you that don't know an Incubus is a demon that goes around having sex with women who are asleep. Pretty dark tbh.

[10th Place]
{ 1,158th Place } [00's][ 240th Place]
Song: "Nth Degree"
Band: Morningwood
Album: Morning Wood
---{ 2006 }---
Genre: Alternative Rock
Score:[4.2][4.2][6.2][0.3][4.1][3.2][5.2] = [27.4] = [3.914]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-ORHKxaXmA

Write-Up:
This song isn't too bad but fails in a couple ways. Lyrically for example, there is no substance since they pretty much repeat the same thing over and over and over and over. Plus I never understood songs that used spelling out something to avoid actually rhyming. It's got an ok beat but even that is on a short repetitious loop for the whole song. Interesting though that I thought I had never heard this song before but according to the wiki it is featured in the game Thrillville which I own but never really sat down to play completely. The band has had a few hiccups since it started in 2001 replacing out one or two of the band members a couple times. Eventually in 2012 though the band was at it's end as the lead singer Chantal Claret left the band to go solo.

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#397
[9th Place]
{ 1,149th Place } [70's][ 215th Place]
Song: "War Zone"
Band: The Vibrators
Album: V2
---{ 1978 }---
Genre: Punk
Score:[6.2][4.2][5.2][0.3][6.2][3.1][3.2] = [28.4] = [4.057]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjQuoZ5jPbk

Write-Up:
The beat is decent and vocals are ok. The first song to drop in the Punk genre (just Punk without any variation) that is. It could be the age in which the song was released but I couldn't find much of a following for this band. Maybe the real fans aren't too internet saavy? This isn't really a song that I would add to any playlist but I might not change the station if I happen to hear it on the radio. I did see this get classified somewhere as an "Oldies" song so that might back up the claim I make about it's fans not hanging around on the internet.lol

[8th Place]
{ 1,147th Place } [90's][ 235th Place]
Song: "N.W.O."
Band: Ministry
Album: Psalm 69: The Way To Succeed and the Way to Suck Eggs
---{ 1992 }---
Genre: Industrial Metal
Score:[6.2][4.2][4.2][0.3][7.2][4.2][2.2] = [28.5] = [4.071]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imqvLToWH7k

Write-Up:
Lol. So I was completing the write-up for this song and noticed that I didn't have it tagged as a nomination but thought it sounded like something Snake would have nominated so I double checked and indeed I forgot to tag it as one of his nominations. I'm not the biggest fan of Industrial Metal but the right songs can make me feel like a diehard and unfortunately this isn't one of them. I think the name of the album here is kinda funny though. This song tanked on the charts.. but that isn't completely terrible I suppose as it did actually make it on the charts at least.

[7th Place]
{ 1,121st Place } [70's][ 202nd Place]
Song: "Death Or Glory"
Band: The Clash
Album: London Calling
---{ 1979 }---
Genre: Punk Rock
Score:[6.2][5.2][4.2][0.3][5.2][5.3][3.2] = [29.6] = [4.228]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcOpZhQ7MEM

Write-Up:
So after multiple listens I am decidedly fixed on the chorus here and the chorus alone. Although it isn't too deep lyrically it has a catchy ring to it. "Death or Gloryeee...". It's weird though because I have almost certainly heard of the band before but I was checking out some of their other work and I couldn't even find a song that I recognized. It doesn't appear that they received too much mainstream success but there is a dedicated following for the band. The song itself speaks about the previous generation of rock stars who were commonly quoted as swearing to die before aging so maybe the whole song is about aging? One critic claims that "this song features the best and most satisfying chord progression and melody the Clash ever came up with" but I wouldn't know if there was any truth to that. What are your thoughts on that Snake?

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#398
[6th Place]
{ 1,075th Place } [10's][ 212th Place]
Song: "All You Had To Do Was Stay"
Band: Taylor Swift
Album: 1989
---{ 2014 }---
Genre: Pop
Score:[4.2][5.2][6.2][3.2][5.2][3.2][5.2] = [32.4] = [4.628]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8HQp-BkKNE

Write-Up:
The 3rd Taylor Swift song to crash and burn before the Top 1,000 here and unfortunately another of your nominations Snake. There are actually a few of Taylor Swift's songs that I like tbh and fortunately they were selected for the ranking so you'll get to see those further up the list. I don't think I've really heard this one all that much though. It seems a bit different than the hits she usually turns out in the way that the rhythm is a bit more inconsistent here and I don't find a part of the song that gets stuck in my head like usual. There were pieces of White Horse that I even found catchy but I'm not getting that here which is interesting since I've already dropped White Horse awhile ago.

[5th Place]
{ 1,008th Place } [90's][ 216th Place]
Song: "Vote With A Bullet"
Band: Corrosion of Conformity
Album: Blind
---{ 1991 }---
Genre: Sludge Metal
Score:[6.2][6.2][5.2][2.3][6.2][4.2][5.2] = [35.5] = [5.071]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2I2mK_3_ns

Write-Up:
And with this song, all of your 90's picks are down Snake. I think that leaves you with 4 or 5 nominations left which sort of puzzles my original expectations for your nominations. I honestly thought you'd have a bunch of noms I liked but as it turns out our interests aren't exactly as similar as I thought they might be. This is our first trip into Sludge Metal though and it isn't a terrible example considering. It does kind of feel slightly unpolished but it's hard to tell since the instrumentation is supposed to be edgy and sharp. The main guitar riff is pretty kick a** but it isn't enough to carry this higher unfortunately.

[4th Place]
{ 994th Place } [80's][ 213th Place]
Song: "Hip To Be Square"
Band: Huey Luis and the News
Album: Fore!
---{ 1986 }---
Genre: Rock
Score:[4.2][3.2][4.1][7.3][6.2][2.2][9.1] = [36.3] = [5.185]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB5YkmjalDg

Write-Up:
Another tune from the 80's here but not one of my favorites. I honestly never really got much into Huey Luis and the News. I don't think I even had a single cassette in the hundreds that I owned growing up. It does remind me of when I used to search through the collection at my local pawn shop as a teenager back when I was collecting cassettes. There were almost always 15 to 20 from these guys but like I said I was never enticed into buying one. The sound of the 80's is pretty unmistakable here but I really feel like this is more akin to movie background music in the 80's like maybe something you would always hear in films like Beverly Hills Cop and such. This unfortunately drops you down to just 3 nominations left Snake and your 80's selections are through.

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#399
[3rd Place]
{ 843rd Place } [10's][ 148th Place]
Song: "New Years Resolution"
Band: Handguns
Album: Life Lessons
---{ 2014 }---
Genre: Pop Punk
Score:[8.1][8.2][7.2][0.3][7.3][8.2][6.2] = [45.5] = [6.5]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzPzf1aJv6Y

Write-Up:
So... I kinda feel bad for you Snake since you are running out of nominations fast (down to 2 left atm). You picked a genre that I like here but it loses some points because I've never heard it before this ranking even though I thought I did. The vocalist sounds like another prominent Pop Punk singer that I can't quite put my finger on atm. I don't think they are the same person because I can't find any info about Taylor Eby (the lead vocalist) for Handguns as far as being in another band. He definitely sounds like another popular Pop Punk vocalist though. The band has the same energy you'd get if Sum-41 and Simple Plan had a baby imo. I do like this song but I don't think it was even Handguns best song based on my research. The band has gone through a few members over the years and more recently re-united most of the original members for their newest album. This album was released digitally through Pure Noise records and can still be found on their site.

[2nd Place]
{ 797th Place } [00's][ 196th Place]
Song: "Cyanide"
Band: Metallica
Album: Death Magnetic
---{ 2008 }---
Genre: Thrash Metal
Score:[7.2][7.1][6.3][3.3][7.1][6.1][10.3] = [47.4] = [6.771]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUMqqVOlJBs

Write-Up:
Oh man. Always a terrible coincidence in these rankings Snake and I'm sorry dude but... shortly after you posted I cringed knowing that this was coming. I don't know what it is but every time I post notifications or rally for support in one of my rankings, I always have to let down one of the few to actually respond as their items sit and wait on the immediate chopping block. (It's not just my rankings as I've seen this happen in many rankings. It's kind of a phenomenon though isn't it?) Anyway yeah... this sucks for you Snake as you fall to 1 remaining nomination. It isn't any secret by now for anyone that has paid attention to my Metallica commentary that I really don't have much of a preference for anything post-Newsted. Call me crazy but the band just is not the same creatively. I totally get that the band wanted to return to it's Thrash Metal roots but compared to the old stuff this just doesn't compare imo. One of the biggest changes I feel are that the old songs are almost poetic lyrically and the new stuff is just nonsensical raging/shredding imo. Where are all the great riffs that they used to create?

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#400
[1st Place]
{ 676th Place } [10's][ 104th Place]
Song: "1955"
Band: Hilltop Hoods
Album: Drinking from the Sun, Walking Under Stars Restrung
---{ 2016 }---
Genre: Hip Hop
Score:[9.2][9.2][8.1][0.3][9.1][9.2][6.2] = [51.3] = [7.328]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD8flUkymrM

Write-Up:
Aww man... total bummer Snake. It looks like your nominations are finished. I like that your highest ranking tune is a fun one though. The beat is infectious but unfortunately I'm not into the Nelly Furtado-ish vocals. It might have actually gone a little bit higher if it wasn't for that. You got creamed in the unfamiliarity category since your recommendation is the first I've ever seen this song. Stay tuned until after the ranking though and you may see this go much higher without that category. I was surprised that this wasn't as popular as it obviously should have been but that is still a rising Top 100 # since this song is still relatively new in comparison to everything else on the list. It feels like it should have been a summertime hit but 2016/2017 wasn't the greatest for me so it's possible I just missed it.

Thank You for your Nominations! =D

@Snake5555555555
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Se7en Ranks 1,300 songs from the --{| 70's| 80's| 90's| 00's| 10's |}-- #7
  • Topic Closed