• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Se7en Ranks 1,300 songs from the --{| 70's| 80's| 90's| 00's| 10's |}-- #7

User Info: Se7enthrust

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#381
====================================
{ 686th Place } [90's][ 171st Place]
Song: "December"
Band: Collective Soul
Album: Collective Soul
---{ 1995 }---
Genre: Post Grunge
Score:[9.1][9.1][7.2][7.1][4.1][6.2][8.2] = [51] = [7.285]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6exsatE-DUk

Write-Up:
What an intoxicating intro am I rite? This was primo 90's Grunge imo. I'm not sure why it didn't get to the top of the Billboard list but I always thought it did well. When I hear it I instantly time travel back to high school in reflection. So many things that I have somehow connected to this song but I got lots of memories of hanging out in the IT wing either in Engineering 101, Graphic Arts or Woodshop. Listening to the radio was required in those classes as most of the time students meandered around from one project to the next and the teachers were always cool as s***. It's an odd feeling to know that when I'm 80 I'll be calling this one a classic. Too bad it didn't get higher on the list though.
"Best read of the game goes to se7en. Who correctly surmised this town is full of idiots." - Corrik
Se7enthrust ~ Dude_Dexter

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#382
{ 685th Place } [00's][ 175th Place] @azuarc
Song: "Map of the Problematique"
Band: Muse
Album: Black Holes and Revelations
---{ 2006 }---
Genre: Alternative Rock
Score:[9.2][9.3][8.3][0.3][7.3][8.3][8.3] = [51] = [7.285]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1qzYsESDhc

Write-Up:
And so we have come to another user nomination. They seem to be coming fewer and further apart lately. Unfortunately though for azuarc we must say goodbye to another of your nominations bringing you down to 3 remaining. This bumps you up to 2nd place atm in the nominator ranking though. I honestly thought I had heard this song before going into it but quickly realized that I was experiencing it for the first time (several more times by the time I wrote this writeup though). It's got an interesting James Bond vibe that would either be a great theme for a new movie or perhaps an action packed video game. Speaking of that I could also imagine speeding along in Gran Turismo or Need For Speed with this playing in the background as well. The guitar shredding is top notch and I love the effects and reverberation here. I would easily listen to this any time I heard it on the radio... if I ever did.
"Best read of the game goes to se7en. Who correctly surmised this town is full of idiots." - Corrik

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#383
{ 684th Place } [10's][ 106th Place]
Song: "Mercy"
Band: Shawn Mendes
Album: Illuminate
---{ 2016 }---
Genre: Rock
Score:[6.3][7.3][7.3][8.3][6.3][6.3][9.3] = [51.1] = [7.3]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkGVmN68ByU

Write-Up:
Meh... not so much of a Shawn Mendes fan here tbh. I think he's got ok vocals but I don't really feel drawn to his vocal technique. I actually kinda thought that this guy and the Hozier dude were the same but clearly they are not. If you are a Shawn Mendes fan you might be pleased that there is one more song of his somewhere up the list. Feel free to guess which one. I know very little about the artist here but he does unfortunately get slumped into the other 2010 songs that I casually dismiss. I've been very picky this decade but that could be because of my constant looking back and remembrance of the first 30 years of my life. 2010 is when I officially started to become "older" and we all eventually tend to miss when we were young do we not? Things were just better in my youth imo.

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#384
{ 683rd Place } [00's][ 174th Place]
Song: "Disturbia"
Band: Rihanna
Album: Good Girl Gone Bad: Reloaded
---{ 2007 }---
Genre: Dance Pop
Score:[8.1][7.1][8.2][6.3][4.1][7.2][10.1] = [51.1] = [7.3]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1mU6h4Xdxc

Write-Up:
Did I ever say that I once had a crush on Rihanna? Well, I can't actually say I had a crush on her specifically but I did get excited over a few photos of her in bondage... *drools but um... oh yeah, the song. This is a decent Dance beat even though it isn't immediately catchy for me. The video shows kind of a weird side to Rihanna but I don't really find it disturbing. It's a little sexy at times but no more confusing than a lot of the Dance Pop videos that were surfacing in the late 00's. I remember this poll once somewhere where someone pitted Beyonce against Rihanna and Rihanna won by a landslide. It wasn't gamefaqs but might have been something I saw on my wife's facebook. I don't recall exactly where I saw it. Anyway, that's 5 new rankings for this block. Gonna try and get more done today since I am so far behind but that won't be until after I hit the gym and take the family swimming. It's already hot as hell out so it'll be nice to be in the water.

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#385
{ 682nd Place } [80's][ 157th Place] @Great_Paul
Song: "Live is Life"
Band: Opus
Album: Live Is Life
---{ 1984 }---
Genre: Pop Rock
Score:[8.2][9.1][6.1][4.2][7.2][8.1][8.2] = [51.1] = [7.3]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pATX-lV0VFk

Write-Up:
I guess I spoke too soon. Here we are with another user nomination. I gotta say Paul that I really enjoyed this nomination. I never heard the song before you submitted it to the ranking and it's got me bouncing my head a few times since then. Unfortunately the song is lyrically shallow even though the melody is fun. The message is tough to work out as well but I guess it's up to interpretation. I was a little surprised to see that this was an 80's song because it really sounds much more modern than that imo. Nothing much else to say due to unfamiliarity.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#386
azuarc posted...
Se7enthrust posted...
I'm not sure why it didn't get to the top of the Billboard list but I always thought it did well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_Soul_discography

#1 on US Mainstream Rock, #2 on US Alt. I realize that's not the Billboard list, but rock songs have a hard time performing well on Billboard. Collective Soul had seven #1 hits on US Rock, and none of them made the top 10 on Billboard.

Se7enthrust posted...
{ 685th Place } [00's][ 175th Place] @azuarc
Song: "Map of the Problematique"

I am satisfied with this performance, especially considering it tanked in the category where any new song we introduce to you is going to be completely boned. (I'd be curious to know how user-nominated songs would do if this category were removed.)

Se7enthrust posted...
Speaking of that I could also imagine speeding along in Gran Turismo or Need For Speed with this playing in the background as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx0s-92tXqo

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#387
Se7enthrust posted...
azuarc posted...
(I'd be curious to know how user-nominated songs would do if this category were removed.)

You had already requested this and I will be dropping the list without that category after the ranking. =D

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#388
{ 681st Place } [10's][ 105th Place]
Song: "As Long As You Love Me"
Band: Justin Beiber
Album: Believe
---{ 2012 }---
Genre: Electric Pop
Score:[9.2][7.1][7.2][7.2][4.2][6.2][10.1] = [51.2] = [7.314]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4em3LKQCAQ

Write-Up:
Justin Beiber fans rejoice, it's another of his popular tunes! This one catches my attention but I sort of lose interest after the intro tbh. The beat is obviously decent but boy band beats have never really been my thing aside from a few that slip through and infect my mind from time to time. I don't know if it's because he actually does but I feel like no matter how old Beiber gets he always sounds like a little boy imo. Justin has had his ups and downs as one could predict for a child star. Children who become famous always seem to have a rough streak eventually in life. As soon as they become adults they lash out at the oppressive world around them because keeping a schedule as a child performance artist is an immense amount of pressure even for an adult... or so I've heard.

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#389
{ 680th Place } [70's][ 77th Place] @Alanna82
Song: "Baker Street"
Band: Gerry Rafferty
Album: City to City
---{ 1978 }---
Genre: Jazz Rock
Score:[8.2][6.3][5.2][8.2][6.1][7.1][10.2] = [51.3] = [7.328]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU6w56epBdc

Write-Up:
Gotta hand it to this song. It made it this high on the list almost entirely because of the saxophone bit. I don't even know what the other s*** is that is ruining this song. Play me a full 6 minutes of just the sax and I'd love it way more than the verse portion of this tune. It doesn't even fit with the sax bit imo and has no business being there. Aggghhh! So frustrating. At least it tries with the solo guitar bit but I still feel the same for the most part. The other way this could work is to remove the vocals completely. It wouldn't be a half bad instrumental tbh. Anyway, this knocks you down to 2 nominations remaining Alanna. There are 23 more user nominations left in the ranking if anyone is curious.

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#390
{ 679th Place } [90's][ 170th Place]
Song: "God Moving Over The Face of the Waters"
Band: Moby
Album: Everything Is Wrong
---{ 1995 }---
Genre: Electronica
Score:[8.2][9.2][3.1][9.2][6.3][8.1][7.2] = [51.3] = [7.328]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tI1pu5rfZw

Write-Up:
Man I used to love this instrumental. I mean, I still do but I've listened to it a lot over the years. I'm a big Piano guy of course so this reels me in easy peasy. The fast scales and harmonics are perfect together and you really get the sense when listening that something epic is the focus of the story being told in the music. Obviously it is up to interpretation but I really get the sense of flight here as one would imagine soaring over and across the ocean. Not much of a beat to get excited for but the melody does alright by itself. Even though there is typically an intended message with every song you hear, this one is a bit tougher to decipher. I feel the emotion in the music but I'm not sure if it is to be happy or sad. Although I have listened to this while depressed before and it was oddly uplifting.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Se7en Ranks 1,300 songs from the --{| 70's| 80's| 90's| 00's| 10's |}-- #7
  • Topic Closed