You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Se7en Ranks 1,300 songs from the --{| 70's| 80's| 90's| 00's| 10's |}-- #7

User Info: azuarc

azuarc
7 months ago#11
tag
Video Game Music Contest 12 winner: Ys 8 - Sunshine Coastline

User Info: Se7enthrust

Se7enthrust
7 months ago#12
Just getting settled in here and waiting for my pot of coffee to finish percolating then I'm gonna start dropping some rankings. I'll keep dropping them till the am as I can. No promise on how many I'll get up but there'll be plenty to read for the morning folks.

Anyone who is around tonight and reading... enjoy! =D
"Best read of the game goes to se7en. Who correctly surmised this town is full of idiots." - Corrik
Se7enthrust ~ Dude_Dexter
(edited 7 months ago)

Se7enthrust
7 months ago#13
====================================
{ 888th Place } [80's][ 187th Place] @NFUN
Song: "Once In A Lifetime"
Band: Talking Heads
Album: Remain In Light
---{ 1980 }---
Genre: New Wave
Score:[5.3][6.2][5.3][5.3][5.2][7.1][8.2] = [42.6] = [6.085]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IsSpAOD6K8

Write-Up:
Here is a tune that I don't really appreciate until the chorus and I'm almost pretty sure it's because it reminds me of a Farrely Brothers movie or something. I don't recall where I heard it but I'm sure it was used in one of their movies. I do know it was used in Hot Tub Time Machine though which was also a decent movie imo. I don't really understand the lyrics or meaning to the song tbh but it's the epitome of New Wave for sure. I do find it interesting that the song was finished the same month I was born even though it wouldn't be released until October. Not that that is significant for any reason but just a little neat for me really. At first I couldn't grasp why the dude in the video is so spastic but apparently that is the writer of the song and he was dancing "erratically" to emulate religious rituals. Hmm.. that brings me even further from understanding the song I guess because the last thing I thought it was about was religion. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame would eventually label this tune as one of the 500 songs in history that shaped Rock and Roll. I don't understand that either but I guess it's good that it's on the list though.
"Best read of the game goes to se7en. Who correctly surmised this town is full of idiots." - Corrik

Se7enthrust
7 months ago#14
{ 887th Place } [10's][ 160th Place]
Song: "Heaven Knows"
Band: The Pretty Reckless
Album: Going To Hell
---{ 2014 }---
Genre: Alternative Rock
Score:[8.2][7.3][6.2][2.1][3.3][7.3][8.2] = [42.6] = [6.085]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHBxJCq99jA

Write-Up:
For something I really wasn't familiar with before this ranking I actually ended up hearing it a few times before getting down to the nitty gritty of the scoring here. It unfortunately didn't make a strong impact but I think it may be a bit higher on the list because of that. Unlike the last song, I was digging the tune up until the 2nd chorus here at 1:20 in. It sounds out of place imo and really brings down the song overall. It's heard again at 2:23 and same feeling tbh. Other than that I don't really have much to complain about here. The song lands somewhere around mediocre for me. This would go on to be the first song to top the billboard chart for the band but that was only on the Mainstream Rock and UK Rock charts. The song struggled a bit everywhere else. The message relayed in the song was meant to highlight a variety of issues people experience in life... or rather the social and emotional struggles they might face as they grow up. It's funny though because I don't remember there ever being a half naked tattooed chick dancing in front of my classroom in school. (At 2:06 specifically. :P)
(edited 7 months ago)

Se7enthrust
7 months ago#15
{ 886th Place } [70's][ 133rd Place] @NBIceman
Song: "Jungleland"
Band: Bruce Springsteen
Album: Born To Run
---{ 1975 }---
Genre: Rock
Score:[5.3][7.2][5.3][6.2][6.3][6.2][6.2] = [42.7] = [6.1]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR_0nbEzVdY

Write-Up:
First off jeeezus. This song does not need to be nearly 10 minutes long wow. It plays like a Meat Loaf song tbh and would probably score about the same had it been Jim Steinman who actually wrote it. (He's the dude that has co-written many of the songs Meat Loaf is famous for). Anyway, yeh after a mere 4 minutes into this song I've had enough but then there is more... and more... and more. Absolutely none of this song is notable to me. I remember it from my youth but I'd say it isn't all that memorable either. The message is confusing because it talks about street violence which is weird to hear in operatic form to begin with. It kinda can't be taken seriously because of that imo. If there are any Stephen King fans here, you'll be interested to know that some of the lyrics were actually used in the opening Epigraphs of The Stand. I guess the song does make it onto the average Bruce Springsteen fan's "Best of song" list but this is the first time I've ever seen that suggested in my research.

Se7enthrust
7 months ago#16
{ 885th Place } [10's][ 159th Place]
Song: "Same Damn Life"
Band: Seether
Album: Isolate and Medicate
---{ 2014 }---
Genre: Hard Rock
Score:[8.3][8.2][6.3][1.1][6.3][4.2][8.3] = [42.7] = [6.1]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3_lIPESVTw

Write-Up:
Here I introduce you to a band that I generally like and am a bit surprised to have to drop one of their tunes so low. It's some of their newest work of course since it's most of the stuff they did last decade that I prefer and would be unlikely to drop this low. The video is kinda funny especially that "Boobies and Ranch" hat that the lead singer is wearing. The song poses the obvious sentiment that age doesn't change that many of us and we are destined to face the inevitable conclusion where what is normal for us individually will eventually be antiquated and we must accept what is new or fade away... or that is what I take from it rather. We are all creatures of habit so it's a fact that most of us go out jamming to the music that shaped our minds in our youth. Perhaps that is a closer message to what is actually being displayed here than what I originally suggested but I dunno. Not a bad tune though just not very outside of the box and noticeable so to speak and what I mean by that is the beat is pretty "safe" or commonly appreciated for a rock tune.

Se7enthrust
7 months ago#17
{ 884th Place } [70's][ 132nd Place]
Song: "Live And Let Die"
Band: Paul McCartney And Wings
Album: Live And Let Die
---{ 1973 }---
Genre: Symphonic Rock
Score:[6.3][7.3][5.2][8.3][4.2][3.3][8.2] = [42.8] = [6.114]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7aGAIWe3uE

Write-Up:
This is a song I would expect that most viewers here would expect it's appearance on a list like this. It's unquestionably notable given that we have 1 of the Beatles here and debatably the most successful one too. I kinda like the symphonic elements here but then I kinda don't. The song feels like it should be an epic ballad of sorts and maybe it is for most fans but for me it's just another catchy tune from the 70's. Probably the other big reason why I navigate away from this tune is the whole James Bond issue I have. It was the main theme song of the Bond flick with the same title. The Guns N' Roses version is supposed to be better according to the internet but it only squeaks out a lead by like a half a point for me.

Best Version IMO: Band/Album/Year
Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I - 1991
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D9vAItORgE
(edited 7 months ago)

Se7enthrust
7 months ago#18
{ 883rd Place } [80's][ 186th Place] @azuarc
Song: "And We Danced"
Band: Hooters
Album: Nervous Night
---{ 1985 }---
Genre: Rock
Score:[7.1][6.2][5.2][5.2][6.2][4.1][9.2] = [43.2] = [6.171]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB1Q-PfUvN0

Write-Up:
Not really digging the intro harmonica but the basic beat isn't too bad. Obviously as a child of the 80's I am quite familiar with the song in and of itself but I've got nearly zero clue about the band or their history. This might sound weird but the song seems to be lyrically broken to me. I know I'm supposed to read into why they are dancing but I don't feel like their main cause is significant. It just sounds like they came up with a decent riff and fit the only words in the chorus that didn't sound weird for the octave they were trying to reach. On second thought that does sound weird. You can clearly see the motivational themes pouring out of the video. I guess I'm not sure what I mean then... maybe I was just trying to justify how the song sounds and it really doesn't have anything to do with the lyrics.

Se7enthrust
7 months ago#19
{ 882nd Place } [90's][ 200th Place] @Raetsel_Lapin
Song: "Why"
Band: Annie Lennox
Album: Diva
---{ 1992 }---
Genre: Soul Pop
Score:[7.2][6.2][5.1][7.2][5.2][4.1][8.3] = [43.3] = [6.185]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG7I4oniOyA

Write-Up:
As soon as this song starts I am immediately reminded of Drive by the Cars and then it's all I can think about lol. It's a similar sound kicking off the song but waaaay better and more nostalgic. Then a few seconds go by and I'm immediately pulled back into the 90's by Why. This song was played excessively on the radio as I recall. Why? That is the question isn't it? I don't know. I do know that Annie Lennox creeps me out. If I didn't know she was a woman though I wouldn't dare to say because she does kinda look like a dude just sayin'... (Sorry short write-up. Work interrupted my thought process.) You're unfortunately down another nomination though Raetsel.
(edited 7 months ago)

Se7enthrust
7 months ago#20
{ 881st Place } [10's][ 158th Place]
Song: "Blank Space"
Band: Taylor Swift
Album: 1989
---{ 2014 }---
Genre: Electric Pop
Score:[7.3][7.2][5.2][5.2][2.2][6.1][10.1] = [43.3] = [6.185]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ORhEE9VVg

Write-Up:
Oy... Not the biggest fan of this song. It's very "poppy" and less "electric" than I'd prefer and that reoccurring snare is super sharp on my eardrums. I find it funny that most of Taylor Swift's songs are about heartbreak and having to deal with cheating boyfriends but um... has anyone else noticed how much of a scandalous looking floozy she appears to be in all of her videos? There is no way she's committing to anyone am I rite? :P That brings me to another thought, How many other people think that this girl actually is insane? Like I know the whole relationship/tragedy schtick is her thing but for crying out loud, how many of these victimizing tunes can she come up with? If you have been through that many boyfriends just maybe they aren't the problem after all know what I'm saying? lol
(edited 7 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Se7en Ranks 1,300 songs from the --{| 70's| 80's| 90's| 00's| 10's |}-- #7