You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Se7en Ranks 1,300 songs from the --{| 70's| 80's| 90's| 00's| 10's |}-- #7

User Info: Se7enthrust

Se7enthrust
6 months ago#1
Hello and Welcome to the Ranking (Continued...)!

If you'd like to review Rankings #1,300 - #890 you may go here:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/839-games-n-things/76531529

If you do not have access to the archive just request an invite to the board and I will get you access.

Just a couple of notes about the list:
-This ranking is almost entirely subjective. Please do not engage in a debate with me about whether this list qualifies as a legit "Best of" list. This is Not a ranking to determine the "best" based on record numbers or sales statistics etc.

This is purely a collection of tunes that are most appealing to my personal interests in music found within the amount of time I spent on research (with 300 nominations included). When the ranking is over you are more than welcome to reference any tunes that I did not include. I'm always down for great music and who knows, it is entirely possible that I will have simply overlooked some stuff that should be here. I listened to more than 5,000+ songs over the course of about 13 months or so, so I hope that was enough ground covered to at least offer some satiability. I have personally enjoyed the research either way.

---There are 260 songs representing each of the chosen decades. (70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's)

----Yes I know the current decade has not yet completed but we are doing this anyway. Tbh there was sooooooo much terrible music this decade that I doubt we'll get anything much better than what we got right here. If I'm wrong, it doesn't matter because I don't want to sift through any more of this "Just Dance" infested generation.lol

Why didn't I include the 60's?
Simple, because I'm not confident I could have pulled 200 songs from that decade and also I would have known immediately what the #1 song would have been for this ranking.

So Instead... I present that song as this topic's Theme Song:

(...I really don't know why I favor this tune over everything else but every time I hear it I get a special kind of goosebumps.)

Paint It Black / The Rolling Stones / 1966
[10.3][10.3][10.3][10.3][10.3][10.3][10.3] = 72.1 = 10.3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4irXQhgMqg

The Rollout
I will be dropping you tunes in a couple ways here. Each song will be ranked out of total 1,300 and top 260 from their decade. There will be several statistics included in an ongoing update. There will also be a special ongoing update displaying the Top ranked songs in every category. *Categories were selected either by research or best fitting based on my experience.

The Nominator Challenge:
Some of you have submitted Nominations. You will receive an update in topic whenever one of a user's nominations gets ranked. You will collect a Sum of points equivalent to the Sum of every placement on your list of nominations. The Larger this number, the lower you will place in the finals. The user who has earned the smallest score in the finals will have made the best nominations and be called Winner of the Nominator Challenge. (This is a Bonus game I play in most of my rankings.)

The Topic Discussion rules
Be Friendly, Be Respectful and Be Appropriate!

I'm always cool with off topic posting as long as it stays friendly. With my Bi-polar I am sometimes easily triggered by unfriendly disputes and would like this space to be as free from that kind of stress as possible. Thank You

So, enjoy and get settled in for the ride! There are sooo many great tunes heading your way. Thanks for stopping by and following the ranking. I hope that not only can users discover some new music here but maybe participate in some candid conversation about their favorite tunes as they pop up. Your Pal, Se7en. =P
"Best read of the game goes to se7en. Who correctly surmised this town is full of idiots." - Corrik
Se7enthrust ~ Dude_Dexter

Se7enthrust
6 months ago#2
Final Score Breakdown:

[Beat]-[Hook]-[Lyrics]-[Memories]-[Message]-[Stickiness]-[Top 100]

[The Beat]
This will represent the overall rhythm and progression of the song imo. A slight evaluation of the instruments used in a song will also have weight on the final beat score.

[The Hook]
This will represent how likely it is that I listen to the whole song if it popped up on the radio. It will also represent the interest that I have to even finish a song.

[The Lyrics]
This will represent how well the verse and chorus are written imo. It will also represent my ability to memorize and sing along with the song if I have that interest. I also use this to measure how well the vocals mesh with the rest of the song imo.
[The Memories]
This will represent how much the song invokes personal memories. In some cases a song may gain points based on it's use in other Pop Culture I am familiar with.

[The Message]
This will represent the message of the song or the difficulty of understanding it's meaning imo. It also represents a degree of emotional response that I get from hearing the song. I also include points if a song comes with a decent backstory.

[The Stickiness]
This will represent the likelyhood that the song will get stuck in my head when I hear it. Depending on whether it's a verse, chorus, beat, simple riff or the whole damn song can determine how many extra points I give.

[Top 100 Bonus]
The ONLY piece of this scoring system that will be slightly Objective. I will score based on an average of the info I find. Top 100 lists, Best song lists, overall sales, awards won etc.

[The Leaning Points]
Every Song ranked will receive a "leaning" score in all 7 categories. A [0.1], [0.2] or [0.3] will be added to help the further breakdown of a songs final score. It's simply as follows:
[0.1] = I'm not 100% sure how I feel about a final score.
[0.2] = The final score can go either way up or down.
[0.3] = I am 100% confident in a final score.
"Best read of the game goes to se7en. Who correctly surmised this town is full of idiots." - Corrik

User Info: Raetsel_Lapin

Raetsel_Lapin
6 months ago#3
Tag. Sorry, I forgot to bump this yesterday.
Marshmallow unicorns forever!

Se7enthrust
6 months ago#4
====================================
{ 889th Place } [10's][ 161st Place]
Song: "Kiss You"
Band: One Direction
Album: Take Me Home
---{ 2012 }---
Genre: Pop
Score:[7.3][5.2][6.2][6.3][4.2][5.2][8.1] = [42.5] = [6.071]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4cdfRohhcg

Write-Up:
So getting back into this after the holiday break, I've unfortunately gotta subject you all to yet another One Direction song. It's a little bit catchier than the previous tunes so far but still totally meant for little girls imo. I get when you have a seasoned adult that wants to sing about the trials and tribulations of relationships to share and teach with the community but these teenager love songs that are filled with blind infatuations and immature innuendo aren't really my cup of tea. Does this mean I've clearly left the atmosphere of my youth behind and entered the galaxy of old age? Maybe... but I know one thing is for sure that this crap often offends my ears lol. Despite my disinterest though it didn't stop their fans who viewed the music video over 10 million times in less than 24 hours. The song appeared in one of the Just Dance games and was featured in the Now That's What I Call Music line.

User Info: Mega Mana

Mega Mana
6 months ago#5
I was looking the other day for this =D
"In my headcanon, some staffer saw Trump pull out his phone and start typing so they just Terry Tate Office Linebacker'd him out of his shoes." - FFD

Se7enthrust
6 months ago#6
Mega Mana posted...
I was looking the other day for this =D

Ty. Welcome back!

Stay Tuned, now that I am no longer working 7 days a week I can get back to my old posting habits and post more often.

I'm prepping a bunch of rankings now for when I get to work tonight. I'm gonna drop a bunch starting around 10:00-ish pm. (I might get a couple up before then if I can.)

Se7enthrust
6 months ago#7
I approved your request @Mega_Mana

You should now be able to browse the archive topic!

Mega Mana
6 months ago#8
Oof, two songs dropping almost back to back back there.

{ 922nd Place } [10's][ 169th Place] @Mega_Mana
Song:
"The Night Begins To Shine"

Band: B.E.R.
Album: Teen Titans Go!
---{ 2015 }---
Genre: Rock

Write-Up:
Kinda surprised that I haven't heard this one before this ranking but I really like the beat. The song isn't too deep but it's arrangement is almost just the right amount of melody for a big hit. It does get a little catchy after enough listens too. Unfortunately for you Mega this is the end of your 10's nominations. You still got plenty of other nominations left though so you are kinda looking good for the nominator challenge atm. Even though this was released in 2015 it's got a pretty slick New Wave sound to it imo. I didn't find anything that classified it as such but I can definitely hear it. I'm curious though, was this written for the Teen Titans show? (Too lazy to look that up atm)

I'm happy to see it got a solid ranking outside the bottom 300, and to see it among some greats like "Everlong," "Joy to the World," and "Let's Stay Together." From what I've gathered in the past and research (a.k.a. Wikipedia) right now, this was recorded in 2005 for a general music library as an 80s-sounding song, but wasn't actually released until 2015 on Teen Titans Go!

It's also pretty cool that it was just a little throwaway gag for a bit as a song Cyborg just kept humming or singing under his breath until there was an episode which became like a rock opera music video episode and was super awesome. ...And there was a four-part series of episodes centered on the rock opera world with covers of the song that I need to go find and watch as soon as I get home from work! I knew Cee-Lo Green covered it, but I had no idea why until now.

{ 917th Place } [70's][ 141st Place] @Mega_Mana
Song:
"Let's Stay Together"

Band: Al Green
Album: Let's Stay Together
---{ 1972 }---
Genre: Soul

Write-Up:
Meh... A really popular Soul hit from the 70's but I don't get it. It doesn't sound super fantastic and isn't even all that catchy imo but people love it. It ranks pretty high on a few different Love Song lists I looked at but I couldn't do 'ma thang' to this at all. That's probably why I wasn't born in the 70's I suppose lol. I am happy that it knocked that gdamn ABC song off the top genre list though as I've seen and heard enough of that crap. I've never owned an Al Green album and this is the only song off the top of my head that I think I've even heard of his. I do always confuse it for that "Let's get it on" song by Marvin Gaye though when I first hear it.

How dare you good sir! :P

I don't know what it is about this song, but whenever I hear it, I just get filled up. Like, I can't think of much else that fills my dark soul with light. Instant smile and urge to dance, even some watering of the eyes. It just hits those good vibrations.

But I'm with you on not knowing any other Al Green song (even looking up his singles, I just hear The Beegees with "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart?" and that was theirs first AFAIK), and can see some Marvin Gaye confusion. But that brass section to start off the song, and his beautiful soulful voice, and the message of love and commitment... I think this is the one song I expected to go much further, but I can see by how many songs I really enjoy are falling alongside it, I know you have your work cut out for you.

And I need to listen to his album too and hear more.
"In my headcanon, some staffer saw Trump pull out his phone and start typing so they just Terry Tate Office Linebacker'd him out of his shoes." - FFD

Mega Mana
6 months ago#9
Some commentary as we continue onward:

#962. "It Was a Good Day"

- God I love that beat. Powerful song about how surviving and the small things and not taking life for granted and taking pleasures from the little things that go right and when the bad things don't happen. Or that you take the good days where you can because the bad days are constant and overwhelming in that the days where nothing happens are the best. I know a guy whose life right now seems like this song where frustration and anger with how his life is boil over in similar respects.

#958. "Black Dog"

- This was the first song I did karaoke to. What a mistake that was.

#938. "I Swear"

- Didn't even know there was a country version, only know All-4-One's melodic R&B.

915. "Happy" - Anyway, every once in awhile I might bounce a knee to this one.
- Similar thoughts. It was fun at first, and the 24-hr music video was a pretty cool concept (watched Rhett & Link do a similar thing singing along with Lionel Richie's "All Night Long" all night which probably inspired Pharrell), but it's just some sugar. It's a quick pick me up but doesn't really have a lasting impact on the happy cells, and the more of it there is, the worse it gets. Going back quickly to "Let's Stay Together," Al Green's song is a hearty warming pot pie of delicious goodness by the fire in the early winter's night nourishing and comforting you while Pharrell's "Happy" is like... cotton candy at the carnival; good for a few bites, melting in your mouth quickly, but becomes cloying and disposable not long after and you wonder why you didn't save your money for something better but equally overpriced.

Also, how is 'a room without a roof' happy? I'd be worried about rain and weather damage and temperature control. You can't heat or cool the place because it goes right out, and the sun will just bake the place in midday summer. Plus, bugs and birds can just come and go as they please, and most depictions of rooms without roofs are rundown graffitied places only the homeless live in when they can't find a place with a roof. I'd say maybe it's a California thing, but now with all the fires and smoke, I'd definitely want a roof!

909. "Fire & Rain" - Not a bad classic Soft Rock song but kinda slow and without the sort of build and climax I prefer to hear in the music I listen to.

- I was surprised I didn't nominate this only because it seems like something I would have. Glad I didn't, because yeah, that write-up perfectly sums up the song. It's nice, but it doesn't hit any good highs when it can. It's just a nice song.

900. "Heat of the Moment" - I thought that it had appeared in either GTA Vice City or one of the Saints Row games but can't seem to nail down that info even though I could have sworn I heard it in one of them.

- Maybe you watched Supernatural?

https://youtu.be/ByMEQ0cWRVA

That said, I'm surprised that everyone's 70's nominations haven't been wiped out by now.

Booo =P. The '70s so far have been my favorites. But maybe that's because they've been cut down so much so fast that the best of '80s and beyond haven't really made much of an impression yet.

#890. "Crazy"

- Love the song, head bops instantly, and the name was for the duo of Cee-Lo Green and Danger Mouse. Music video killed me first time I saw it.

Se7enthrust
6 months ago#10
Nice feedback. Looking forward to what you think of my best picks for sure. (Might take a little while to get there but I'll try to speed it along whenever I can)
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Se7en Ranks 1,300 songs from the --{| 70's| 80's| 90's| 00's| 10's |}-- #7