You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Mercenaries 5 Preseason Topic 2: That's The Name Of The Game

User Info: DeathChicken

DeathChicken
1 month ago#341
He fries the surface of the planet with Destruction Rain. The same attack Crono later (haha, later. Earlier) gets hit by and shrugs off to do his heroic sacrifice bit
We are thought, and reality, and concept, and the unimaginable
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Lopen

Lopen
1 month ago#342
The impressive thing about Lavos's destructorain thing is the AoE mostly. If you covered the entire globe with like Firaga you'd probably achieve a similar result. The in battle damage is pretty middling too
No problem!
This is a cute and pop genocide of love!

User Info: Kamekguy

Kamekguy
1 month ago#343
Most of Lavos' respect seems to come from his shell. Any time you beat up the squishy hermit crab inside, it's just a final boss. Beat on the outside like most people did/you can do against the spawns, and that rain hurts. Not to mention the potential debate of which time you fight Lavos is actually canon (i.e. weakened after the Black Omen goes down, crashing the Epoch into it, etc), potentially making the guy even weaker as "yes, he lost to 3 JRPG protagonists... after they attacked his weak spot after crashing into him at warp speeds with a spaceship/at, like, 60% power and hitting his weak spot exclusively".

Plus Spawns are still treated as a big deal at endgame and those can still take the party out, so I'm willing to say the big guy himself was more careful planning/crashing a spaceship into him than actually being strong enough to handle him 3v1 straight up.
Doin' Game Design Vids: https://www.youtube.com/c/DesigningFor

User Info: Chaeix

Chaeix
1 month ago#344
did someone say epoch
we're all buds~jc~
<DeathChicken> you are my hero for being the first person to cite National Geographic in Mercs

User Info: KanzarisKelshen

KanzarisKelshen
1 month ago#345
Epoch is busted even with M3/4 stuff only

You get 4/week Haseo, Cole McGrath, Daniel Garner with his stupid as hell 32x damage and speed multipliers (Remember the time he soloed a whole team of 4s and 5s? I do), STILL 4/week Sol, and I forget what else

It's just not a balanceable ability unless you draw from M4 only, and at that point I'd rather give Crono something about Dual and then Triple Techs and his Heroic Sacrifice and call it a day. More iconic and less of a balance headache.

EDIT: Also yes, Sol was known to be busted even in M2. If you check the journal, it mentions how HGR was looking to cut a deal for the Illidan raidboss event that was basically 'if everyone but Drak and Twilight gives me a forfeit, I send Dragon Install Sol to clean house'. It's why I was always so miffed he didn't show up in M4, he's annoying to make a build for but he's a quintessential 'arguer's merc' that really rewards the players who take the time to research characters out.
Shine on, you crazy diamond.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: DeathChicken

DeathChicken
1 month ago#346
Garner's unfortunate since that's a fun character, if he actually had a functional build
We are thought, and reality, and concept, and the unimaginable

Lopen
1 month ago#347
Honestly you could probably use Epoch with Tiro's restrictions with a further restriction that if the merc was released in multiple versions of the game you use the most recent upkeep value (including m5) for use of the ability
No problem!

User Info: KanzarisKelshen

KanzarisKelshen
1 month ago#348
That's probably workable

Really only leaves Sol and Bryan Fury as the notable 'gross' targets I think

The main thing is that Epoch isn't particularly cronoesque - you could hand it over to any CT character besides magus and it'd fit about as well. So I'm not super attached to it since it's one of those abilities that can be really warping (particularly because Crono HAS to be a day 1 merc, when reinforcements matter most) while also not being particularly fitting.
Shine on, you crazy diamond.

User Info: Kamekguy

Kamekguy
1 month ago#349
I see we'll need to bust out the greatest time traveler for a reworked Epoch.

https://youtu.be/ch5YLoCRlms
Doin' Game Design Vids: https://www.youtube.com/c/DesigningFor

Lopen
1 month ago#350
I was gonna say Gaspar pure support to house it but Putt Putt is better
No problem!
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Mercenaries 5 Preseason Topic 2: That's The Name Of The Game