You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Mercenaries 5 Preseason Topic 2: That's The Name Of The Game

User Info: DeathChicken

DeathChicken
2 months ago#331
As the owner of Lucca in M1, the arguments against her were annoying. "Well sure she has the highest magic stat in the game, but plotwise there's little reason to back that up so I'm going to ignore that"
We are thought, and reality, and concept, and the unimaginable

User Info: Gatarix

Gatarix
2 months ago#332
I respect statz

highest magic stat in the game = best mage. the end. (unless there's a separate stat for cast times. but either way, stats control unless they're EXPLICITLY contradicted by plot)
You put your RESOLVE HAT back on, which conveniently is the same hat as your NORMAL HAT.
{Drakeryn}

User Info: Tirofog

Tirofog
2 months ago#333
KanzarisKelshen posted...
We're keeping a version of that as an ability, IIRC. It was one of my favorite concepts too and much better in terms of balanceability than Epoch

I think Epoch would work if:
- You removed M1 as an option, added M4 and shifted everything down one.
- You add the restriction that you can't choose characters from boss battles, characters generated from other characters' abilities, and characters with less than 1 upkeep.

I think that gets rid of all the broken options? Most of the problematic stuff was from M1 anyway.
I'm just here to post something barely relevant, then fade back into the shadows. It's a tough job, but BKSheikah has to do it.

User Info: GANON1025

GANON1025
2 months ago#334
Is morale a parameter?
https://i.imgur.com/G17qCv1.gif

User Info: Lopen

Lopen
2 months ago#335
I'd actually give Lucca the second most respect behind Magus and well ahead of Crono (honestly I'd put Crono a bit below Frog too but yeah) but yeah I think I'm in the minority there. Her magic always seemed the most visually impressive, aside from Crono, but unlike Crono actually has the stats to back it up (magic typically = INT so I mean don't get the reason why people would deny her magic as being good).

Her gun is completely whatever though and would get less respect from me than most ranged weapons.

Anyway I wouldn't actually put Crono as a 2 since I think that introduces a bit of a mental bias against him among the players (and he really doesn't need that), but I would make his abilities good because yeah he's a pretty weak 3 all things considered. Game doesn't really give you any reason to believe he's all that aside from main character syndrome. His techs are not very impressive looking, he gets no real significant plot upgrade over the course of the game that the other characters don't get, and he's just some kid who fights with a mop before that. His claim to fame is he's the fastest among the cast but Ayla is his only real competition there in the sense that you could maybe buy they're fast.

Also Mercenaries 2 had a bunch of broken options too. 4 upkeep Sol Badguy no thanks. Limit it to Mercs 3 and Mercs 4 and it's probably fine but at that point you've perhaps removed most of the fun.
No problem!
This is a cute and pop genocide of love!

User Info: Tirofog

Tirofog
2 months ago#336
Ah right - Sol was a case of (IIRC) someone who got massively buffed in later Guilty Gear games after M2. I can't really guarantee there aren't more Mercs like that lurking out there, so I guess it makes sense not to bring back Epoch.
I'm just here to post something barely relevant, then fade back into the shadows. It's a tough job, but BKSheikah has to do it.

Lopen
2 months ago#337
Sol was always op as hell. It was the knowledge of the playerbase that got buffed more than anything. Also I think maybe in M2 there was some sort of "gameplay Sol" mentality that people rationalized disrespecting him (because otherwise at a 4/day he'd just win most fights). M2 was kinda weird in general because of the isolation of the gameplay from the casual votes-- not really a good gauge on respect in general. Lots of politics baked into perceived respect, much moreso than normal mercs.
No problem!

User Info: ScareChan

ScareChan
2 months ago#338
KanzarisKelshen posted...
Agree with that

People turn their brains off with parameter buffs

We want to be very careful with how they're handed out

One of the first builds we did for m5 had a synergy bonus when rostered with another character though, granting perfect team synergy and morale, so the idea is on our radar. Worry not.

If goal is not just team building but also balance I think counter productive boosts should work as well then

Example : if dante us rostered with another high teir merc his goal will be to be stylish and not listen to a high teir merc, instead isolating himself from the team. He will still look to win the battle and not actively attack his team

So in this case dante can still solo but now he has to fight on his own if you bring in another big gun. And if you dont bring in a big gun his backup may be weaker

Just example idea. I think the team building aspect is maybe more fun for a good amount if people than the battles themselves as seen by how many forfeits we get. So pros and cons to adding a member should be there in concept I feel. You shouldn't be able to just stock the best guy at every level and just win, a proper built team should always have a chance. I think this encourages that.
Lets Smash- Switch friend code SW-5264-0547-1806
PSN TehScurr

User Info: redrocket

redrocket
2 months ago#339
Lopen posted...
I'd actually give Lucca the second most respect behind Magus and well ahead of Crono (honestly I'd put Crono a bit below Frog too but yeah) but yeah I think I'm in the minority there. Her magic always seemed the most visually impressive, aside from Crono, but unlike Crono actually has the stats to back it up (magic typically = INT so I mean don't get the reason why people would deny her magic as being good).

Her gun is completely whatever though and would get less respect from me than most ranged weapons.

Anyway I wouldn't actually put Crono as a 2 since I think that introduces a bit of a mental bias against him among the players (and he really doesn't need that), but I would make his abilities good because yeah he's a pretty weak 3 all things considered. Game doesn't really give you any reason to believe he's all that aside from main character syndrome. His techs are not very impressive looking, he gets no real significant plot upgrade over the course of the game that the other characters don't get, and he's just some kid who fights with a mop before that. His claim to fame is he's the fastest among the cast but Ayla is his only real competition there in the sense that you could maybe buy they're fast.

Also Mercenaries 2 had a bunch of broken options too. 4 upkeep Sol Badguy no thanks. Limit it to Mercs 3 and Mercs 4 and it's probably fine but at that point you've perhaps removed most of the fun.

I mean you can say all this, but.... the party still beat Lavos in the end. Without any outside assistance. How do you reconcile that?
It's like paying for bubble wrap. -transience on Final Fantasy: All the Bravest

Lopen
2 months ago#340
Okay but what did Lavos do to deserve italics exactly? Its claim to fame is basically run of the mill RPG final boss fare (final bosses that by and large get beaten by teams of 2 and 3 upkeep mercs) in terms of destructive power attached to a largely immobile enemy.
No problem!
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Mercenaries 5 Preseason Topic 2: That's The Name Of The Game