• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. mental wellness at board 8 [bipolar] [depression] [anxiety] [health] [antipurge]

User Info: jcgamer107

jcgamer107
1 month ago#311
GenesisSaga posted...
I need a second job
you and me both

GenesisSaga posted...
I'm already working so many hours
that's messed up and sounds like they're not paying you enough, if you're working 40 hours a week or close to it
Official Advokaiser advocate

User Info: GenesisSaga

GenesisSaga
1 month ago#312
It's between 35 and 40 every week yeah. It's essentially a serving job so I get the bare minimum $2.13 an hour plus tips so obviously I'm heavily reliant on tips, but the thing is our clientele here are so damn fickle. For every one good tipper there's at least 1.5 poor tippers that maybe just don't understand how little we servers actually make at best, or do and don't give a s*** at worst.

I feel like if I was doing this same exact job in a different location I'd be averaging $80-100 a night instead of $60 and it blows to feel that way- like there's nothing wrong with what I'm personally doing, but because of where I work I'll never get ahead in life. Again I love my job, but it's getting to the point where my job can't even support me so I'll have to move on. I'm very reluctant to begin searching because applying for new jobs was always my least favorite aspect of job hunting. Maybe things will be better now that I have experience, but my anxiety is being triggered just thinking about it.

When I'm bartending it's a little different. I make minimum wage plus tips, AND tipout based on however many drinks I make, but this is once more heavily reliant on not only the fickle clientele, but whomever is serving that day. If there's a weak serving team who can't motivate people to buy liquor there goes my tipout. And to top it off because I don't have as much experience as some longer standing bartenders my bar manager keeps scheduling me for opening bartending shifts instead of late closing shifts where I can actually make more than $10 in tips tops because barely anyone wants to drink in the early afternoon.

I'd complain to him that he needs to rotate the schedule more often so that I'm at least getting ONE closing shift a week or so, but I'm afraid he'll just take me off the schedule entirely or move me over to service bar because he's that kind of person. At service bar you're making a f***ton of drinks so tipout is way better than front bar, but obviously since there's no guest interaction there's no tips. It's also a lot more stressful, especially on a Friday or Saturday night or directly following a new movie release.

I dunno, my heart keeps telling me to stay but my brain is flipping my heart the bird and telling me it's time for a change of pace. I'm just so conflicted I don't know what to do...
"You're stronger than you believe. Don't let your fear own you. Own yourself." - Michelle Hodkin

jcgamer107
1 month ago#313
GenesisSaga posted...
I get the bare minimum $2.13 an hour
that is outrageous that that's legal, wtf. that's some racket restaurants are running. and people who say they don't need to tip/tip low because the restaurants should pay more, that's not how you fix the problem - you're only hurting the servers >_<

User Info: GTM

GTM
1 month ago#314
Bump
GTM - Boko United
survivor and dillos and nintendo and wrestling

User Info: Waluigi1

Waluigi1
1 month ago#315
jcgamer107 posted...
people who say they don't need to tip/tip low because the restaurants should pay more, that's not how you fix the problem - you're only hurting the servers >_<

f***ing exactly!
PSN, and GT: Waluigi1
Switch FC: SW-6848-3841-9099

User Info: 3DSRage

3DSRage
1 month ago#316
2.13 an hour@!!!@???

I would write that on my uniform

GenesisSaga
1 month ago#317
Yeah it's crazy, but restaurants everywhere in the US do it. Even bumping it up to just $3.50 per hour would negate some of the negligent/ignorant guests we have. The way it is now I can (barely) get by, but actually getting ahead seems like an unachievable goal.
"You're stronger than you believe. Don't let your fear own you. Own yourself." - Michelle Hodkin

GenesisSaga
1 month ago#318
So I made $110 at the same job on Friday morning (3 rounds, left around 7:30), and $90 last night. If I could make an average of a hundred a day to be honest I probably wouldn't be checking in to this topic as often as I have been lately, but the money is so inconsistent here. Actually I feel like I'm just getting lucky and any moment that luck is gonna run out and it's all gonna come crashing down around me.

jcgamer107
1 month ago#319
existence is terrifying

User Info: Waluigi1

Waluigi1
1 month ago#320
Being gay in a small town sucks. So lonely and such few options.
PSN, and GT: Waluigi1
Switch FC: SW-6848-3841-9099
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. mental wellness at board 8 [bipolar] [depression] [anxiety] [health] [antipurge]
  • Post New Message