• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. mental wellness at board 8 [bipolar] [depression] [anxiety] [health] [antipurge]

User Info: GTM

GTM
1 month ago#261
bump
GTM - Boko United
survivor and dillos and nintendo and wrestling
I'm still in an existential quandary, but at least some things are improving. My DVR counselor helped me set up an employment neuropsychological evaluation, which will assess my abilities, my barriers, and my desires - in other words, it will diagnose me and help me find a more ideal fit for my skills and personality than the job I have at present. That's progress.

My job still royally sucks, but at least I am not working more than 40 hours a week and my boss is awesome. That said, I am still stressed out and am eating way too much to the point that all the walking I do to blow off steam isn't burning enough calories to circumvent it. I'm outright scared to weigh myself at this point, as I fear that I've gained back the 15 pounds I lost over the last year. Perhaps that will revert once everything stabilizes.

I am currently pursuing additional skills on the Internets in my free time and my boss is encouraging occasional use of vacation in order to pursue that further, as she much prefers it when I am sane. I need to be better at taking breaks and not overworking myself; I have a weakness that I devote myself too much to a job until it is done to a point where I don't take enough care of myself. It's a character flaw I am attempting to fix, but it takes its toll on me. At least I have stopped worrying so much about work when I’m not AT work, which is a massive improvement from before. Work stress still impacts my eating at home, though.

At the same time, I am trying to maintain an active social life by pursuing friendships, Meetup groups, and new hobbies. Gonna give D&D a try (working on painting my Hero Forge minis). Gonna try not to tire myself out too much - and that's a worry. I am exhausting myself. I'm taking a day trip with my parents tomorrow, which won't allow for proper rest. I am going to spend most of Labor Day weekend sleeping, that's for sure. Going to need two days off in a row for recovery purposes.

But I'm really in a rough patch of turbulence here. I need to try online dating, but I worry that my self-esteem is too low at this point; this is one of those times when I need a shoulder to lean on, and I don't have that. An improved social life should help eventually. I want to do more with my life, after all, especially once I have the energy to do so.

Any advice you guys have for me? I know some of you have probably been here before...
~ BlueCrystalTear at large ~ [this space still for lease 7 years later]
https://i.imgur.com/sclpQaM.jpg

User Info: Hardcore_Adult

Hardcore_Adult
3 weeks ago#263
Family party next week, Not really feeling it given how my family has fractured so badly over the last 2yrs (Grandma's Dementia, Aunts, Uncles and a number of cousins showing their true colours). Under normal circumstances, I'd be up for it (5yrs ago for sure) but I'm finding it really hard to find the will to get excited.
I'll get back up for good this time and I ain't comin' down...

User Info: jcgamer107

jcgamer107
3 weeks ago#264
__LeiaRolando__ posted...
Any advice you guys have for me? I know some of you have probably been here before...

I'm late on this but honestly it sounds like you're taking a lot of good steps to improve your life, it might just take some time to feel the full benefit from it. You're probably more ahead of the curve than I am, ha. I'm sure I don't work as much as you but I have a similar issue where I get burnt out easily, partly due to anxiety. I also am kind of in this nebulous existential dead zone where I don't exactly know what to do with myself, except that I need to add additional work (I work half-time now) rather than find a different job. You recognize the importance of social health and hobbies, which is really good. The online dating thing is kind of a crap shoot - if you can get over the awkwardness of it and not make it overly important in your head, it's worth a try. That might be something you could talk with a general therapist about, if you see one for issues beyond work/a career. Also, additional exercise is always good. I don't know if you're able to do some cardio or weightlifting, in addition to walking, but I find it's helpful in improving my mood and helping me relax.

None of this is super-insightful advice, but you should feel good that you're being as proactive as you are. You're ahead of where many people are at just by doing that.
Official Advokaiser advocate
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: GTM

GTM
2 weeks ago#265
bump
GTM - Boko United
survivor and dillos and nintendo and wrestling
(message deleted)

User Info: jcgamer107

jcgamer107
2 weeks ago#267
I hadn't even really heard of that procedure. Sounds kind of radical - hopefully it's one of those things where hone it over time and it becomes safer/more beneficial.
Official Advokaiser advocate

User Info: Esuriat

Esuriat
2 weeks ago#268
There are two methods used as far as I know. One is IV infusions done in a clinic with varying levels of supervision. The better ones at least keep someone by your side and ensure your experience is as positive as possible. But it's about an hour long procedure.

There's a far more recent application involving a nasal spray and that's been making its runs through trials for about a year now. Mostly using people in Veterans' Affairs, since PTSD is probably THE primary focus for its use.
Essy

User Info: Esuriat

Esuriat
2 weeks ago#269
Okay I talked it out and got a clearer picture of the game plan with ketamine. I still have some caution about it, but I at least understand how things could be different this time.

No need to keep that post around now. Especially since there was a misunderstanding about some of the physicians in question.
Essy
That legitimately sounds scary dude. Best of luck.
Winner of the Spring 2004 "Best Game Ever" Contest
http://www.twitch.tv/ultimaterializerx ; http://i.imgur.com/dsnL40n.png
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. mental wellness at board 8 [bipolar] [depression] [anxiety] [health] [antipurge]
  • Post New Message