You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Advokaiser plays Undertale for the first time (anti-purge edition)

User Info: Advokaiser

Advokaiser
6 months ago#1
The last topic purged, which sucks hard since unfortunately I don't have the write-ups stored anywhere; but this may be a good opportunity to ask if you're willing to follow this topic despite contest fever. I'd ask of you to bump this every once in a while if I haven't been around for more than 24 hours.

@KamikazePotato @Raetsel_Lapin @crazygamer999 @Waluigi1

If I'm forgetting somebody, or there's someone who might be interested in this topic, please tag him/her.
Here lies the sig of BK_Sheikah00, who swore fealty to the Gurus of Board 8.

User Info: trdl23

trdl23
6 months ago#2
Just use the bumpbots. Type #bump# and you’re good to go.
E come vivo? Vivo!

User Info: mnkboy907

mnkboy907
6 months ago#3
Old topic: https://www.log~~~faqs.com/topic.php?id=76952570 (remove ~s)
BK_Sheikah? More like BYIG_Sheikah.
http://i.imgur.com/gw03gl7.png - Number of people that D'awwed: 102

User Info: Raetsel_Lapin

Raetsel_Lapin
6 months ago#4
I'll still follow along and read every post.
"That's life. All the trues are false and all the falses are true."-Charlie Brown

User Info: KamikazePotato

KamikazePotato
6 months ago#5
Raetsel_Lapin posted...
I'll still follow along and read every post.
Black Turtle did a pretty good job.

Advokaiser
6 months ago#6
mnkboy907 posted...
Old topic: https://www.log~~~faqs.com/topic.php?id=76952570 (remove ~s)

Thaaank youuu!

User Info: Waluigi1

Waluigi1
6 months ago#7
Thanks for the mention. It sure didn't seem like time for purging...
NNID, PSN, and GT: Waluigi1
DD:DA Pawn: Xekoben the support mage

Advokaiser
6 months ago#8
Hopefully write-up by the end of the day.

Advokaiser
6 months ago#9
I'm going to do a recap of my recap for continuity purposes.

Intro:

Back in June/July, there was an incredibly hot Steam sale where my brother got me Super Meat Boy, Half-Life 1, Fallout 1 and 2, and Portal, among others, including Undertale, as an advance birthday present. Suffice to say, I was extremely happy.

I haven't really played many RPGs (particularly turn-based ones) in general. I know this game draws inspiration from Earthbound, but since I hadn't played the Mother series, I considered to play the whole series before this game to have a better point of comparison. However, I checked the overall length from the three Mother games and saw that it was going to take a really long time if I wanted to play those games and then Undertale, so I said: "You know what, screw it, I'm gonna play Undertale, and if it's a good game it will stand out as one on its own right."

So I started it like a month and a half ago, but I've had sporadic game sessions since then (which I plan to do more often from now on so I don't lose the vibe of it). I have sunk some hours in, but I still want to do a recap here of what I've done before posting where I left off.

Things I know about this game:

Oh boy... Some of you may gonna be mad for some of the things I know already. The thing is, I had only played the demo of Undertale back in 2015 when BGE happened, but I didn't have a Steam account until this year and I wasn't planning on playing it on a near future, so I stumbled into some spoilerific videos without actually knowing it, but I watched them out of curiosity anyway. Some of the things I know include:

-This is arguably the most popular indie game ever, or at least since Super Meat Boy. It started a phenomenon 3 years ago which still has an impact to this day, although the fever has sort of worn of.
-You can spare everyone.
-The game has alternate endings, I believe 4, which include Pacifist and Genocide routes. Not really sure about the others.
-The name of the character you control is canonically Frisk.
-Certain character named Sans is the last boss of the Genocide route, and a song called Megalovania plays in it. I think that's common knowledge already (sort of how Sheik in Ocarina of Time is actually Princess Zelda), but I'll still put it in spoiler tags.
-Something about seven souls, which I didn't remember was a thing until I started playing and have been somehow understanding more about it.
-In the last VGM Contest, there were two (amazing) songs: Battle Against a True Hero, and Hopes and Dreams, none of which have yet appeared in-game yet. Considering I'm currently at the fight with Undyne, I was hoping I could hear BAaTH since the title made sense from what I've seen on my playthrough, and since the YouTube video actually shows her sprite, I was like: "Aww... Well, not yet."
-Finally, by watching a video called: "What happens when you name yourself 'gay'?", I saw that among many other things, after defeating Sans, you get... an unusually lovely sprite. Aparently she goes by the name Chara? Or maybe you change the name to that? I don't know... Time to find out! Yes, I assume I was watching one of the endings, so it's a real shame, but what can you do. At least I don't know the context, so... Yeah, there's that.

Advokaiser
6 months ago#10
I first played the demo 3 years ago, giving "the fallen human" a name that I don't remember. I stumbled upon Flowey, then I was guided by goat momma Toriel. The demo took me around an hour to complete (it stops at the end of the Toriel fight). I remember killing and sparing what I wanted, reaching Toriel and not being able to spare her, so I had to kill her.

...Or so I thought, since I gave my opinion on the demo here on the board (I thought it was an okay experience), and when I mentioned not being able to spare her, someone told me: "Keep trying..." And so I replayed it, taking me around 30 minutes to do it again until I got to Toriel and tried to spare her insistently until I succeeded. Then I got a strange message from Flowey that I didn't understand until I recently watched a video called something like: "What happens if you spare Toriel after killing her?" The message Flowey says is the exact same that he said when I replayed the demo, but now I realized the scary connotation of him saying: "I saw what you did. You killed her, then you regretted it. Veeery clever." Flowey knows things, and that's a little creepy.

Fastforward to now, where I played this whole introductory section again. I didn't know her name was Frisk at first, but then I thought: "Well, I don't identify myself with a little girl, so I won't put my name on it. Frisk it is!" I got a warning saying that this name would give me trouble, but I thought every name would give you this message, so I proceeded anyway. Ohhh boy. I kept dying over and over, something like 5 times on this whole first section alone, and I thought: "I don't remember the game being so difficult. I know I haven't played it a long time but... This is just weird." Then I realized my mistake.

So I went ahead and restarted my file. Since I thought Pacifist was an easy path to start before entering harder battles on other game modes, I thought it was a good way to start. I also named the girl Lily this time since i thought it was a cute name for a merciful girl. Something I found interesting is that the game had certain memory of what you have done on past playthroughs; I noticed this when I saw Flowey saying something like: "What? You want to make me introduce myself as if I hadn't done this before? Anyway..."; and also when Toriel asked me for cinnamon or butterscotch cake, then her "guessing" that I preferred cinnamon.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Advokaiser plays Undertale for the first time (anti-purge edition)