Se7en Ranks 1,300 songs from the --{| 70's| 80's| 90's| 00's| 10's |}-- #4

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Se7en Ranks 1,300 songs from the --{| 70's| 80's| 90's| 00's| 10's |}-- #4

User Info: Se7enthrust

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#231
====================================
{ 987th Place } [70's][ 162nd Place] @Dragon66116
Song: "Last Child"
Band: Aerosmith
Album: Rocks
---{ 1976 }---
Genre: Hard Rock
Score:[5.2][4.2][4.3][7.2][5.2][2.2][8.2] = [36.5] = [5.214]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1AaCy-yU9c

Write-Up:
Ooh our first Aerosmith tune to falter. Not exactly the best example of their work imo so I'm quite fine with this placement. I once had the opportuntiy to go see these guys in my state but I turned it down for an ex-girlfriend that had no interest in the band... stupid b**** robbed me of the experience more like it and then she dumped me anyway. It was a time when I spent too much time with my friends I guess and she couldn't handle it or something. I was also working a bunch but you know she never had any trouble spending my money though.lol Anyway, I'm not hardcore enough of a fan to really praise much of the bands stuff from the 70's. This incidentally drops you to 4 noms left also Dragon.
"Best read of the game goes to se7en. Who correctly surmised this town is full of idiots." - Corrik
Se7enthrust ~ Dude_Dexter

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#232
{ 986th Place } [70's][ 161st Place]
Song: "Let's Get It On"
Band: Marvin Gaye
Album: Let's Get It On
---{ 1973 }---
Genre: Soul
Score:[6.2][2.2][4.3][7.2][6.2][2.2][8.2] = [36.5] = [5.214]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6QZn9xiuOE

Write-Up:
Oh god. Everytime I hear this song all I can think about is an episode of King of Queens where Doug and Carrie take a vacation to an apple orchid with their best friends Deacon and Kelly who are right next door and have no trouble with their romance apparently as everytime they get down to business they play this song and it can be heard through the walls. It's quite the funny episode as it puts extra pressure on Doug who takes it to heart and has trouble performing for Carrie especially with the timing of this song lol. Anyway, I am reminded of this because of how annoying it actually gets by the end of the episode. It's a decent romance tune for many folks but it is way out in left field for anything that could boost my arousal. Um... not that anyone here needs to know that. >_>
"Best read of the game goes to se7en. Who correctly surmised this town is full of idiots." - Corrik

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#233
{ 985th Place } [70's][ 160th Place]
Song: "Mamma Mia"
Band: ABBA
Album: ABBA
---{ 1975 }---
Genre: Rock
Score:[6.3][4.2][4.2][7.2][2.1][5.2][7.3] = [36.5] = [5.214]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unfzfe8f9NI

Write-Up:
Oops I didn't notice that we are down 100 70's songs so far as this is the 101st song to drop from that decade. It happens to be one of the few 70's songs that my wife selected also. I don't know if this will be an unpopular opinion but Mamma Mia suuuuuuuuuuuuucks. My wife forced me to watch that terrible movie and I came to hate this song even more. The beat is ok but only scores as high as it did from it's recognizability. I don't hate ABBA but this is definitely not one of the songs I would even mention when listing their songs If asked anyway. >_>

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#234
{ 984th Place } [70's][ 159th Place]
Song: "Dust In The WInd"
Band: Kansas
Album: Point of Know Return
---{ 1977 }---
Genre: Soft Rock
Score:[6.2][4.2][4.2][5.2][3.3][4.3][9.1] = [36.5] = [5.214]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH2w6Oxx0kQ

Write-Up:
This song is one of the first songs that I ever actually learned to play on the guitar. I can't play it as fast as the song requires but it's still recognizable. It actually has a similar picking pattern as Outside by Staind which is kinda neat and probably the reason I was able to actually learn it. As for the song as a whole.. it's kinda sappy and not all that exciting tbh. What I can't figure out is how this song became the bands only Top 10 charting hit when there are definitely a couple other songs of theirs that are better imo. Oh hey that's interesting... apparently Kerry Livgren who wrote the song only did so as a picking excercise while learning to play guitar. The whole song is a message about mortality and the eventual death of us all so it's sort of dark I guess and according to what I'm reading the theme was inspired by some passages in the bible (Genesis 3:19 and Ecclesiastes 3:20 for anyone interested in that.)
(edited 3 weeks ago)

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#235
{ 983rd Place } [80's][ 212th Place]
Song: "If This Is It"
Band: Huey Lewis And The News
Album: Sports
---{ 1983 }---
Genre: Pop Rock
Score:[6.2][5.2][4.2][7.3][3.3][4.1][6.2] = [36.5] = [5.214]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaTQAaJWW54

Write-Up:
Ouch! I'm not 100% sure if there is anywhere else in this ranking where 2 songs from the same band fall back to back on their respective decade's list (actually I went back to look and totally forgot that I kicked the ranking off with a double whammy for Neil Cicierega). Anyway, the last one to drop for these guys was Snakes nomination of "Hip to be square". I like this song a bit better because I find it catchier overall even though it still isn't my cup of tea outside of 80's nostalgia. I unfortunately don't have a lot else to say here either.

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#236
{ 982nd Place } [10's][ 181st Place]
Song: "Castle On The Hill"
Band: Ed Sheeran
Album: (Division Sign)
---{ 2017 }---
Genre: Folk Pop
Score:[6.2][5.2][5.2][3.2][3.3][4.2][9.2] = [36.5] = [5.214]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0ibBPhiaG0

Write-Up:
So um... we are all just gonna keep this ranking between us ok. No one better say a word to my wife who selected it for the ranking. She loves Ed Sheeran and would cut me if she knew I was dropping one of his songs so low on the list.lol I don't mind some of his other tunes but this one just doesn't quite jive with my interests though. Poetically of course I can't argue with the lyrics as Ed is decent about how he writes his music. However... why does he have to write so many romance songs. It'd be nice to see him come outside of that box of relationship insecurities because he could really make some decent tunes imo if they all weren't so sad and lonely.

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#237
{ 981st Place } [10's][ 180th Place] Bot #3
Song: "Hold Back The Night"
Band: The Protomen
Album: (Act III)
---{ 2015 }---
Genre: Rock Opera
Score:[7.2][7.2][5.3][0.3][8.1][6.2][2.2] = [36.5] = [5.214]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apaJ3A56XbM

Write-Up:
We have finally come to what I think was the last exception made for the ranking. In this case I allowed the song onto the list bending the "must be on an album" rule slightly because it is set to release on the bands next album (which may or may not be coming out soon) but should most definitely release as it is the 3rd in the series of albums produced by the band. Raetsel could probably tell us more specifically about that as she was the one who nominated the song and is the biggest fan of The Protomen that I know here. The tune is supposedly sung in character by Roll and Dr. Light from Mega Man but I'm not exactly sure how all of the bands tunes are supposed to be represented other than themed with Mega Man stuff. It sounds similar to something Meat Loaf would come up with but that could just be the Rock Opera piece I'm comparing to.

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#238
{ 980th Place } [00's][ 217th Place] @Johnbobb
Song: "Fire Coming Out of the Monkey's Head"
Band: Gorillaz
Album: Demon Days
---{ 2005 }---
Genre: Art Pop
Score:[8.2][8.2][5.2][0.3][6.2][4.2][4.2] = [36.5] = [5.214]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcFZWa8zH2w

Write-Up:
I really dig the beat and harmonics in this tune and the narration of the story instead of singing of song is a different listen than I was expecting. I think I was most disappointed at how abruptly the song ends tbh though. I'm guessing it is a lesser known song of the Gorillaz based on the favorability score here since I really didn't find it mentioned in too many places and it barely charted wherever I did actually find it listed. I kind of thought it was Dennis Quaid narrating the story at first since the voice is similar and sounds better in my head. The actual story is interesting as well and can be interpreted a couple ways I think. To me it's about the destruction of life by way of greed but that might be simpler than it actually is imo. Not a bad tune for the most part though.

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#239
{ 979th Place } [10's][ 179th Place] @Mega_Mana
Song: "Roundtable Rival"
Band: Lindsay Stirling
Album: Shatter Me
---{ 2014 }---
Genre: Classical Dubstep
Score:[8.2][8.2][0.3][0.3][7.2][7.2][5.2] = [36.6] = [5.228]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvipPYFebWc

Write-Up:
Hey another new genre and probably the only song to be in it I think (I haven't checked ahead yet but I don't recall there being another tune like this). The video enhances this tune immensely imo and this is a pretty solid sample of stringed instrumentation tbh. I love the theatrical take on the music and it is almost a character in itself especially with the performance provided. I added the artist here to my list of bands to check out. (Crystalize was pretty decent right off the bat). Anyway, it's a bummer that so many points are lost for unfamiliarity and the fact that it has no lyrical substance. A decent listen all the same though.

Se7enthrust
3 weeks ago#240
{ 978th Place } [70's][ 158th Place]
Song: "ABC"
Band: Jackson 5
Album: ABC
---{ 1970 }---
Genre: Soul
Score:[5.1][1.3][3.3][2.3][8.2][6.2][10.3] = [36.7] = [5.242]
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etCBBAK-fsA

Write-Up:
Time to take a dump on an iconic classic... or to put it bluntly, I hate this stupid song. Yeah I get that it was popular and kickstarted Michael Jackson's rise to fame but it's just so blah to my ears. I'm not sure if that is straight bias or if it's the redundant chorus or what but it just doesn't jive with my interests at all. Despite my disinterest in the song it did smash the charts holding #1 for several weeks if I recall. What happened to the rest of the Jackson 5 anyway? Just kidding. I don't care.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Se7en Ranks 1,300 songs from the --{| 70's| 80's| 90's| 00's| 10's |}-- #4

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.