Politics Containment Topic 184: Torn NATO

• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Politics Containment Topic 184: Torn NATO
>_>

Yes I understand that, Tony.
Moops?
"I thought you were making up diseases? That's spontaneous dental hydroplosion."

User Info: Jakyl25

Jakyl25
1 week ago#62
I disagree with that. I think many streamers are playing up characters. DrDisrespect being maybe the most obvious example.

But there is a line for sure. Like, I would say the Game Grumps are in fact being themselves. It’s murky and I definitely understand your opinion.
Thank you, Eddie Guerrero.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRlKR5nU8AA_v_C?format=jpg&name=large
Jakyl made a point of "it is ok for people to like Pewdiepie because content is content and I still enjoy (notable horrible person) Chris Benoit's performances".

My counter is that for other people that have done bad things, you can separate out their art from themselves (well, if you can do that - I don't begrudge anyone who can't). It exists separately from them, and you can view it without endorsing who they are as a person.

Pewdiepie, who obviously isn't as bad as Chris Benoit, isn't the same. His "art" or "product" here is himself. Him using a racial slur necessarily taints the rest of his content because that is just him. His content, quite literally here, is himself and his views.
Moops?
"I thought you were making up diseases? That's spontaneous dental hydroplosion."

User Info: ChaosTonyV4

ChaosTonyV4
1 week ago#64
Suprak the Stud posted...
>_>

Oh ok, then I understand your post, now. I get what you're saying and I agree with you.
Phantom Dust.
"I'll just wait for time to prove me right again." - Vlado
ChaosTonyV4 posted...
>_>

Oh ok, then I understand your post, now. I get what you're saying and I agree with you.

Sorry if I wasn't clear!
Moops?
DrDisrespect is certainly a character, but Pewdiepie (at least modern Pewdiepie) I would say is definitely not.

I view DrDisrespect as sort of like a MirandaSings, where it is someone doing a character on Youtube/Twitch that isn't necessarily reflective of themselves. It gets murky here, I agree.

Pewdiepie isn't even that though.
Moops?

Jakyl25
1 week ago#67
Also I would delineate even further between Streaming Pewdiepie (himself) and YouTube performance video Pewdiepie (a character)

But also I realize that I am an adult making this decision, and his content is made to appeal to a young audience, so on that level he can f*** off publicly using slurs anywhere.
Jakyl25 posted...
Also I would delineate even further between Streaming Pewdiepie (himself) and YouTube performance video Pewdiepie (a character)

But also I realize that I am an adult making this decision, and his content is made to appeal to a young audience, so on that level he can f*** off publicly using slurs anywhere.

Old Pewdiepie, maybe. All of his new videos aren't even that any more. Sure, he used to act up how SPOOKY and SCARY Five Nights was or whatever, but he doesn't play games any more. Not in a long time, at least, and not on his youtube channel. He just talks about stuff. "Stupid Twitch thots", memes, random news stuff he complains about, etc etc etc.

It isn't a character anymore, and I'm not sure it has been for a while.

(I never paid attention to him until he became the alt rights favorite youtuber so I don't know exactly when the transformation occurred)
Moops?

Jakyl25
1 week ago#69
(at least modern Pewdiepie)

Maybe this is our disconnect.

I haven’t seen any of his content in YEARS
That is definitely it then.

Because I never saw any of his old content. Like I said, he only popped up on my radar because of how much the alt right loves him at the moment.
Moops?
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Politics Containment Topic 184: Torn NATO

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Closed