Any interest in a blind Horizon: Zero Dawn playthrough topic?

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Any interest in a blind Horizon: Zero Dawn playthrough topic?

User Info: Panthera

Panthera
6 days ago#21
Speaking of, a hint about the backstory was reached just now...!

So we picked off with our intrepid hero Aloy getting lost and shooting at (and missing more than I'd care to admit) random animals in the hopes that their meat may prove to be of value. That sucks so let's skip past it. Reached the gate and something silly happened - I approach from the top of the ridge, so I could look down and see the gatekeeper Varl fighting a Corrupted Sawtooth. I figured hey, I'm up here and can shoot it safely, but that doesn't work. Turns out it's a scripted event where they fight until you get there, at which point the machine dies, but since I didn't realize that right away I got to see Varl trading hits like a boss. Badass Varl sends me to find War Chief Sona, his mom, who apparently is also a badass. So I set out to find out what happened to the war party she led on a quest for revenge.

Came across a little settlement on the way, picked up some sidequests along the way, some of which I may even finish at some point. Found the site of the ambush where the war party wrecked the hell out of a bunch of machines before going down, met a guy who was a messenger from Sona. How convenient! He gave me directions and I crossed the river into some ruins that definitely don't look like the decaying carcass of a modern city, no sir. Also found a "datapoint" that talked about some legal drama in 2063. Gee is this set in the future of Earth I would never have guessed. I mean, besides the fact that the whole trip to the ruins Aloy takes as a kid kind of already made it obvious. It would be more surprising if it didn't turn out to be the case! Speaking of those ruins Aloy went to as a kid, I stumbled across them again. Is there any point to going through them again? I'd check on my own but that place was kind of big to go through for no reason.

I also bought a war bow somewhere along the way so I can shoot shock arrows now. Scrapers officially less of a problem now that a zappy thing to the bum neutralizes them in short order. Between that and using fire arrows to make Grazers explode and take everything nearby down with them, I think I am officially beginning to have the slightest clue what I'm doing. Maybe some day I'll be able to go more than twenty seconds without using PURPLEVISION to assuage my paranoia...well, maybe not.
Meow!

User Info: Murphiroth

Murphiroth
6 days ago#22
Get the ropecaster as soon as you can, it's way more useful than it initially seems.

Also keep an eye out for datapoints because a lot of the interesting story bits are tucked away in those.
I main ledges.

Panthera
6 days ago#23
What does a ropecaster even do? I haven't bought one yet, the little movie they show makes it look like it just slowly knocks things down from close enough range that a sneak attack (or silent strike or whatever they're calling it here) could have taken most/all the enemy's health away anyway
Meow!

User Info: XIII_rocks

XIII_rocks
6 days ago#24
Ropecaster ties the robots down with...ropes

It's handy to have
Not to be confused with XIII_Stones.

XIII_rocks
6 days ago#25
Panthera posted...
Is there any point to going through them again? I'd check on my own but that place was kind of big to go through for no reason.

Yes, if you explore you can break through a barrier you previously couldn't, and there's an item in there that can be used to unlock something good later

Panthera
6 days ago#26
I'll have to remember that next time I'm close enough to that place to not need a seventeen week detour to get there
Meow!

XIII_rocks
6 days ago#27
Get dat Golden Fast Travel pack mang

Murphiroth
6 days ago#28
XIII_rocks posted...
Ropecaster ties the robots down with...ropes

It's handy to have

This. And if you slap a bunch of reload mods into it you'll be amazed at how fast you can put out ropes.
I main ledges.

Murphiroth
6 days ago#29
Or maybe it's handling mods, it's been a while.
I main ledges.

Panthera
6 days ago#30
I don't know what a golden fast travel pack is but it doesn't sound very purple.

Moving on, came across a giant...giant. Tallneck. Yeah. Climbed that thing, hacked it for whatever reason, climbed to some Vantage thing to find out more stuff, came across some data points that talk about how history apparently featured some flooding and a lot of people dying. Then I tracked down Sona, found out she's kind of annoying, and we slaughtered a camp full of people. That does tend to serve as a good bonding exercise. Found out the bad guys apparently have a stockpile of blaze canisters all locked up in one place at their base for safety purposes. That sounds like a useful thing to blow up at some point.

Huh, that was a short update. Guess I wasn't playing all that long. Didn't die this time at least!

...if I were to shoot that Tallneck, would it ignore me or annihilate me in hilarious fashion? No particular reason I ask, just...curiosity...
Meow!
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Any interest in a blind Horizon: Zero Dawn playthrough topic?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.