Any interest in a blind Horizon: Zero Dawn playthrough topic?

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Any interest in a blind Horizon: Zero Dawn playthrough topic?

User Info: Panthera

Panthera
1 week ago#1
Had the game for a little while but for various reasons haven't had the chance to start playing it. So maybe I'll start and keep b8 updated on my progress! Or not. Depends on if there's any interest in it. Don't expect videos or screenshots or any of that stuff, just because we have fancy technology doesn't mean I can't ignore it (aside from the fancy technology needed to make this whole internet thing work...and the PS4...I can ignore some fancy technology, okay?). Please don't spoil anything, like, for real. I know b8 is usually good about that but I've seen too many online communities where "no spoilers" is taken to mean "give everything away with hints so you can pretend you didn't spoil anything even though you did" to not feel the need to reiterate the point.

If this is a thing people would care for, I'll probably start within the next few hours. If it's not...I probably will still start playing within the next few hours, just without the whole update/discussion/commentary business and you'll never know what happened or why and it will be the greatest tragedy you've experienced in like, at LEAST the past seventeen seconds.
Meow!

User Info: Shotgunnova

Shotgunnova
1 week ago#2
I'd read 'er.
Take me down from the ridge where the summer ends
And watch the city spread out just like a jet's flame

User Info: XIII_rocks

XIII_rocks
1 week ago#3
Sure, great game
Not to be confused with XIII_Stones.

Panthera
1 week ago#4
Alright then I guess I will dance for my audience of two.

Well that was a longer and probably more plot relevant pre-title screen opening movie than I was expecting. What happened to the days of seeing the weird logos of companies involved in making the game, mashing buttons frantically to skip it already, and only then getting to the actual content? Come to think of it, this is probably better. Like, a lot better. Anyway I guess I will be playing as a girl named Aloy who presumably will stop being a baby at some point, she is cursed and raised by an outcast dude, and oh god I love snowy forest scenery in games.

Random point of interest: For whatever reason, PS2-era graphics kind of got locked into my mind as "the best" for games. I don't mean they look better than modern stuff, of course, but I think because the PS2 was the first system I actually bought (well, I was 13 so I was just saving up allowance, and my parents chipped in half as a Christmas present, but still, spent months saving up for it!), it kind of settled into my mind as being the pinnacle of what games would look like. It felt like such a jump over the PSX/N64 era, and it probably doesn't help that I've mostly focused on handheld systems since then. For whatever reason this has led to the point where on the one hand, I don't care much about graphics because everything vaguely modern looks good to me, but on the other hand...everything vaguely modern look good to me! While I can still be bothered by bad art design (something like the Citadel in Mass Effect 3 is painful to look at in places due to the overly bright lighting), I tend to think everything looks good if designed well. This is kind of random, but hell, I literally haven't even started playing yet, what else do I have to talk about?

Also...having advertising for DLC on the title screen is one hell of a mood killer. Good work, games industry! Anyway, guess I'll hit the always helpful "New Game" button and see where it goes.

edit: This game has a "very hard" and a..."ultra hard" difficulty? That's a lot of types of hard. But they sound hard so I'll be normal.
Meow!
(edited 1 week ago)

XIII_rocks
1 week ago#5
Not that unusual

MGS typically has three hard difficulties

User Info: Solioxrz362

Solioxrz362
1 week ago#6
Tag. I'll be reading!
Got a brand new blues that I can't explain

Panthera
1 week ago#7
Alright, game actually gets underway as 6 year old Aloy learns how to hunt and also gets harassed by the locals who do not approve of her mysterious outcast ways. I'm sure we'll hit the point where I try to predict what the big reveal will be eventually, but for now I don't have enough knowledge to guess. Which is good, because it means I don't have to be wrong yet.

Okay actually before the hunting there was a cave that was also some ancient mad science place. I got a Star Trek comm badge that attaches to the ear and allows for PURPLEVISION. I am sure this will come in handy, though for now it's used seems to be limited to hearing audio logs and pointing out that the only object in the area I can interact with is indeed the way to open the door. Jokes aside this was a pretty creepy little area to walk through. Unfortunately I couldn't see it very well. My TV has a window behind it that faces south and thus faces the sun, and my curtains are fairly light. This results in it being a little hard to see dark areas in video games during the day sometimes. I end up having to fiddle around with brightness settings every hour or two to try to keep up.

And then...drum roll...tutorial on killing monsters...er, machines. Probably going to be calling the monsters a lot, sue me. We have Watchers, who walk around slowly, and Striders I think they were called? They're like cows, but with explosive canisters on their backs. So quite a bit cooler than cows. Some kid fell down and was promptly amazed at Aloy's ability to use her comm badge to see monster patrol routes. Uh, kid, these things walk slowly in a circle and stop for ages to stare off into space, I'm not sure it's really that magical. Anyway we save him, some people come along to berate everyone involved, and we get a Moral Choice! Of throwing a rock at a kid's face, hand, or the ground. Ooh, is this one of those things where people freak out and send you death threats if you don't always pick the "nice" option in the video game? I threw the rock at the kid's rock, both because it seemed a nice middle ground and also because it seemed implausibly cool.

Have to say, 6 year old Aloy is very determined. Implausibly so. I can understand the whole wanting to know why you're an outcast thing, but I feel like 6 year olds usually don't sign up in a heart beat when they hear about years of training being needed to attain their dreams. Maybe I hung out with the wrong crowd when I was 6. And then a training montage has Aloy transforming into a teenager (or adult?) out of nowhere, which was kind of cool.

Pretty good sequence, mixed tutorial and some world building/characterization pretty well. This Rost dude seems pretty cool which means he'll probably die at some point to give Aloy something to mope about and also reason to fight whoever did it. Maybe I'll be wrong, but let's be real, predicting the mentor figure will die is usually a pretty safe bet.

XIII_rocks posted...
Not that unusual

MGS typically has three hard difficulties

I'm more used to games giving their higher difficulties wackier names like Impossible or Brutal or Aggravatingly Punishing (the latter...may not actually exist)
Meow!

XIII_rocks
1 week ago#8
I didn't like Rost at all tbh

Not sure if it was the performance or his dialogue but he was a problem
(edited 1 week ago)

Panthera
1 week ago#9
lol I think if you had left that post the way it was originally written I would have thought nothing of it, but editing it has certainly got me thinking of a few things...

His name looks like rust, and rust applies to metal, while you have rock in your name. Rock and metal are natural rivals. Therefore, that must be way you disliked Rost.
Meow!

Panthera
1 week ago#10
Well, continued on for a little bit. Rost VANISHED, by which I mean he walked down the path a little so he could me that we would do something ominous tonight. Yay. But first, item collecting. I'm not straying too far off the direct path yet but I'm sure I will at some point. Needed to hunt down some mooks for materials, found a horde of them, and...promptly got killed by some sort of photon torpedo machine gun firing dog thing (a Scrapper, I think). That was fun! Now I know to be a lot more paranoid and be careful to use my PURPLEVISION to scout out the area. Enemies seem to do massive damage in this game, so I'm guessing I'll be spending a lot of time hiding in grass and on cliffs trying to poke away at things. Which...okay I'm the kind of player that finds tedious but safe strategies in games all the time so this is right up my alley!

Helping matters is the newly acquired tripcaster allowing me to make things fall down if they run at me. Found some campfires, walked through a village where everyone hates me (Aloy seems to appreciate that their lack of desire to speak to her spares her from hearing their idiocy...snarky comment, or brilliant meta commentary on annoying generic NPCS?) and generally accomplished very little. All in all a good time.

Also, there's a level up and skill system here. Anything in particular I should be looking out for that is super important or super useless? Probably going to focus on the stealth based stuff unless it doesn't actually help much.
Meow!
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Any interest in a blind Horizon: Zero Dawn playthrough topic?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.