Contest Stats and Discussion - Part 1279

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Contest Stats and Discussion - Part 1279

User Info: bwburke94

bwburke94
1 week ago#401
swirIdude posted...
On the other hand, more Pokemon means fewer LoL characters in the contest.

They only need one.
All your old meme are belong to me.

User Info: AxemRedRanger

AxemRedRanger
1 week ago#402
So that new game seems to have gone well for Kratos.

Does he beat Jill this time if they have another rematch!?
[NO BARKLEY NO PEACE]
[NO BKSheikah NO PEACE]
Team Rocket Elite 1 week ago#403
Well, "I got a new game" didn't go so well for Ocelot against Jill.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/poll/2868-division-2-round-1-cloud-jill-zolom-ocelot
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/poll/3275-division-8-round-1-heavy-jill-kratos-ocelot
This was not the best year for my bracket.
Congrats to BK_Sheikah00 for winning the BYIG Guru Contest!

User Info: LeonhartFour

LeonhartFour
1 week ago#404
well Ocelot is a special circumstance

Liquid appeared to boost from MGS4 while Ocelot did not
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/080/145/638.png
https://i.imgur.com/WqDcNNq.png

User Info: LusterSoldier

LusterSoldier
1 week ago#405
Banjo-Kazooie finished with a playrate of 56.43% in the playrate poll from a few days ago. I finally got around to updating the Wiki page for playrate.

https://board8.wikia.com/wiki/Have_You_Played

As for the "Got Console?" polls, the 3DS has increased its ownership to an all-time high of 73.80%. After the 3DS's ownership went down in the previous poll and the Switch already out, it was thought that the 3DS wouldn't be able to increase its ownership any farther. Despite the presence of the Switch, ownership for the 3DS actually went up again.

With the most recent PS4 poll, the PS4 has finally surpassed the PS3's all-time highest ownership mark and looks to be in excellent position to break 70% ownership in the future. The PS4's ownership is now up to 69.65% ownership.

The Switch's ownership also went up to 50.36%. Breaking 50% ownership happened 16 months after the launch date, where as the Wii broke 50% ownership in just 8 months. It took twice as long for the Switch to reach 50% ownership despite an overall better game library at this point in both system's life cycles. Though the Switch is $50 more than the Wii and the games $10 more, but even that can't fully explain the better early success of the Wii compared to the Switch despite the Switch having the game library advantage.

Ownership results spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iMtyUuzmT5ggmYy-xbiGf7fcloXuhkQuu4ZIC2nGI4M/pub
Luster Soldier --- ~Shield Bearer~ | ~Data Analyst~
Popular at school, but not as cool as BK_Sheikah00, Guru Champ!
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Not_Wylvane

Not_Wylvane
1 week ago#406
Probably a largely different user base on GameFAQs these days, plus back when the Wii released the 360 and PS3 were significantly more recent, with the 360 not really gelling as much with the GameFAQs base even then and the PS3 having a lot of negative hype and a high price tag. Meanwhile, the Switch has to compete with a highly successful PS4 that's had a few years to get popular and become the console of choice for its gen while avoiding the major controversies the PS3 had.
Not_Wylvane

LusterSoldier
1 week ago#407
We might be looking at a contest announcement soon, because Allen finally got around to converting the poll results pages from the 2015 contest into the standard PotD results page as seen here:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/poll/6051-

Not_Wylvane posted...
Probably a largely different user base on GameFAQs these days, plus back when the Wii released the 360 and PS3 were significantly more recent, with the 360 not really gelling as much with the GameFAQs base even then and the PS3 having a lot of negative hype and a high price tag. Meanwhile, the Switch has to compete with a highly successful PS4 that's had a few years to get popular and become the console of choice for its gen while avoiding the major controversies the PS3 had.

Also, the average age of the site's users back in 2006 was around 19.50, so we still had a substantial part of our user base still under 18 at the time. And when you're under 18, it's much easier to talk your parents into buying a new game system (the Wii in this case) where as that would be harder for someone over 18 still living with their parents. Another thing is that we may have grown too old at this point to really get hyped up for a new game system like the Wii did at a time when we were much younger.

User Info: Advokaiser

Advokaiser
1 week ago#408
I don't really think older people aren't hyped up anymore, seeing as how SSB Ultimate has been received since the very first Nintendo Direct. SSBU may not be as hyped as Brawl was (that was HUGE back then), but it's definitely more hyped than SSB4, so I think that's a good factor to take a console's ownership numbers into account (Smash being an obvious console-seller).

Yes, I know the Switch has already had some pretty strong games, but if we want to have a better picture, we need to look at the overall sales. How big is the overall Switch ownership status compared to the Wii's (that is, worldwide sales)?
Here lies the sig of BK_Sheikah00, who swore fealty to the Gurus of Board 8.

LusterSoldier
1 week ago#409
The Switch sold more units in its first year than the Wii did. The Switch sold nearly 15 million units in its first year, while the Wii sold around 13.5 million in its first year. Looking at the worldwide sales is useless here, because it doesn't translate to a system's success on this website. The Switch had better first year sales than the Wii, but the Switch ends up with a lower ownership than the Wii on GameFAQs after 1 year.

And yes, SSB4 wasn't very hyped compared to Brawl or SSBU, but that was a direct result of the Wii U's poor start and lack of hype for the Wii U. Being on the Wii U was the thing that basically killed the hype for SSB4.

User Info: The_Ctes

The_Ctes
1 week ago#410
SSB4 had some solid reveal trailers though.

I was hyped every direct to see the potential reveal trailer.
Ctesjbuvf posting on his phone.
(edited 1 week ago)
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. Contest Stats and Discussion - Part 1279

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.