KP'S Top 40 Characters - Featuring Dante From The Devil May Cry Series

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. KP'S Top 40 Characters - Featuring Dante From The Devil May Cry Series

User Info: KamikazePotato

KamikazePotato
2 weeks ago#21
LeonhartFour posted...
KamikazePotato posted...
Then I didn't take him for one mission and learned later that you learn a ton of lore and backstory if you do. Important lore locked behind DLC and chance! Come on!

Ehhhhhhhh, a ton and "important" are exaggerations. That mission is definitely better if you bring Javik, but don't let people oversell you on that.

I looked it up later, and while it's not important in the sense of 'the plot doesn't make sense without it', it did provide some context and cool information I really wish I'd had when playing ME3. Although a lot of that feeling is because ME3 doesn't have much in the way of engaging story content like the first two games did, it's pretty much a big war from start to finish.
Black Turtle did a pretty good job.

User Info: LeonhartFour

LeonhartFour
2 weeks ago#22
ME3 best game in the series
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/080/145/638.png
https://imgur.com/xSIWjVK

KamikazePotato
2 weeks ago#23
LeonhartFour posted...
ME3 best game in the series

It's the #2 strongest game on GameFAQs according to the X-stats!

User Info: LeonhartFour

LeonhartFour
2 weeks ago#24
Deservedly so
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/080/145/638.png
https://imgur.com/xSIWjVK

KamikazePotato
2 weeks ago#25
Side note - refreshing your memory on a character's quotes when there's not a big wiki for them and youtube isn't cooperating is harder than I thought it would be!

KamikazePotato
2 weeks ago#26
36. Eleanor Hume (Tales of Berseria)

"The coward's path is not that of an exorcist! They may say, "I didn't know anything! So I can't be blamed!" I can't...I can't live like that!"

Most RPGs need contrast in their party members. Watching a group of conflicting personalities learn to work together and trust each other is something that never gets old. In that sense, Eleanor is the most important character in the party outside of the main character. She serves a foil to...basically everyone else. But while a lot of RPGs have one or two morally ambiguous members to serve as a contrast to the heroes, Eleanor is the only morally unambiguous character in a cast of almost-villains. She believes what she's doing is righteous and always strive to do the right thing, even at the cost of her own life. Eleanor butts heads constantly with the other party members, especially can't-crack-a-smile Velvet.

It's through that consistent inter-party conflict that Eleanor both grows significantly in a character and inspires growth in others. Watching the worldview that Eleanor was so sure of being torn down is...painful. It doesn't happen immediately, taking place over the course of many hours as each mantra she held dear is exposed for what it really is. It's a very realistic and gradual change of personality, shaped both by circumstance and self-introspection. Eleanor even acknowledges (to her own self-disgust) that even if she had discovered the truth eventually, if she wasn't traveling with Velvet and co then she would have turned a blind eye for the sake of keeping her flawed worldview intact.

All of that only makes it that much more satisfying when Eleanor finally comes to terms with everything - and ends up forming a pretty touching friendship with Velvet to boot. Despite all the physical and emotional pain, all that she had to sacrifice, and all that she left behind...at the end of Tales of Berseria, Eleanor is left standing tall.

User Info: greengravy294

greengravy294
2 weeks ago#27
i really hope Ike gets two slots for radiant dawn and path of radiance

anyway tag
http://i.imgur.com/jknf665.png

User Info: NBIceman

NBIceman
2 weeks ago#28
The Berseria cast was so great. I absolutely loved Eleanor and she was still probably my fourth- or fifth-favorite out of the party members.
http://i.imgur.com/UYamul2.gif
Spurs - Yankees - Eagles - Golden Knights

KamikazePotato
2 weeks ago#29
35. Luca Blight (Suikoden II)

"It took hundreds to kill me but I killed humans by the thousands. I am sublime!!! I am the true face of evil!!!!"

Ah, old RPG translations and your excessive uses of exclamation points. Luca earned each and every one.

Luca Blight is the most effective villain I've ever encountered. He doesn't even get that much screentime but he makes incredible use of every second. The first thing he does is force a girl to grovel on the ground before mercilessly executing her - and it only gets worse from there! Luca is so gosh darn happy to be an irredeemable force of evil. There is not a hint of complexity in Luca's actions. He hates what he hates and wants to see it burn. Throw in an incredibly memorable boss battle and you've got the makings of a the biggest bastard in gaming, maybe in all of fiction.

That's really all Luca is, and sometimes that's all it takes. I love complex characters but there's something to be said about simplicity in its perfect form. Luca leaves you in awe of how evil and destructive he is, and he goes to the grave laughing in your face and without a single shred of guilt.

KamikazePotato
2 weeks ago#30
greengravy294 posted...
i really hope Ike gets two slots for radiant dawn and path of radiance

anyway tag

He does, but unfortunately, due to split votes neither version ended up making the list.

(This is a topical joke about Fire Emblem Heroes, for those who aren't in the know)
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. KP'S Top 40 Characters - Featuring Dante From The Devil May Cry Series

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.