KP'S Top 40 Characters - Featuring Dante From The Devil May Cry Series

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. KP'S Top 40 Characters - Featuring Dante From The Devil May Cry Series

User Info: KamikazePotato

KamikazePotato
2 weeks ago#1
It's been a super long time since I made one of these, and I'm starting to go into list-posting withdrawal, so let's fix that.

Peoples' tastes in game characters are fascinating to me. It's like looking at a photo album of parts of their life. People will fall in love with a character for a reason entirely specific to a certain point in their life, and then continue to love that character long after they reasonably should. Games work similarly but I think it's even more pronounced with characters. I can look at a character I took to when I was 10, recognize that I wouldn't give a crap about them if I experienced them for the first time right now, and then not care and continue to love them. It's fun to revisit those old friends, and equally as fun to celebrate the new ones that have affected you in recent times.

It probably goes without saying, but there will be some big-ass spoilers in this topic. I'll try to be vague when I can, but as a lot of what makes these characters memorable is tied to spoilers...yeeeah.

Also, the topic title isn't just a dumb joke. Dante's on this list. Where? Gotta read to find out!
Black Turtle did a pretty good job.

KamikazePotato
2 weeks ago#2
And before we start the list proper, here's a list of Honorable Mentions, in no particular order:

Ness (Earthbound)
Nier (Nier)
2B (Nier Automata)
Zelos Wilder (Tales of Symphonia)
Maya Fay (Ace Attorney series)
Makoto Yuki (Persona 3)
Lyon (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones)
Elincia (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)
Stocke (Radiant Historia)
Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II)

User Info: Shonen_Bat

Shonen_Bat
2 weeks ago#3
T a g
Glaze on the layers of the atmosphere, white stardust sprinkles on a fine parfait.
I'll take your hand and you can take me here, up to the Satellite Cafe.

User Info: ZenOfThunder

ZenOfThunder
2 weeks ago#4
tag
Is this Elite Beat Agents 2?

KamikazePotato
2 weeks ago#5
40. Urdnot Wrex (Mass Effect series)

"Shepard."
"Wrex."

It's difficult not to like Wrex. He has the perfect balance of being 'cool' and having more complex underlying motivations. Outside of Garrus, Wrex is probably Shepard's biggest consistent supporter throughout the series. He's barely connected to Shepard in any way through Mass Effect 1, but the bond of respect they form with each other is strangely touching. The whole "Shepard" "Wrex" thing, while kind of funny, is mostly memorable to me because it shows how little they need to communicate with each other to understand each other. A simple greeting is all they need to reaffirm their mutual respect.

Wrex is made vastly more interesting by his connection to the krogan genophage. You learn about the genetic plague wiping out his species from him, and Wrex's mixture of grim acceptance and unwavering determination to find a solution is what instantly made me care about the krogans' plight. And it's a good thing for them, because I'm gonna level with you - the krogans suck. Outside of a few exceptions, the stereotypes of them being aggressive warmongers are totally true. It's easy to see why the rest of the galaxy resorted to such horrible methods to keep them from swarming over everyone else. Wrex is what kept me invested in their plight long after I stopped caring about them as a whole.

It's not an exaggeration to say that Wrex single-handedly saves his species. Despite caring heavily about saving the krogans, he's willing to sacrifice the cure in Mass Effect 1 for the sake of the greater good of the galaxy. He continues to show that combination of intelligence and tough decision-making up until the end, where he becomes the leader of the krogans and leads them into a time of peace and prosperity (you know, assuming your Shepard isn't a heartless monster). In fact, the only way to get a good endings for the krogan is to cure the genophage AND make sure Wrex lives long enough to become their leader. Wrex is just that good.

It's a bit of a shame that he stops being a part member after ME1, but it also makes those future encounters with him that much more memorable. Wrex is good people. Uh...lizard people. Whatever.

KamikazePotato
2 weeks ago#6
39. Morte (Planescape: Torment)

"Hey Chief, you okay? You playin' corpse or you puttin' the blinds on the Dusties? I thought you were a deader for sure."

Morte's weird. Might be the weirdest RPG party member I've ever encountered. He's a floating talking skull that never shuts up, makes bad jokes, annoys everyone around him, and most importantly, has an unwavering and unexplainable loyalty to the main character. No matter how much you abuse and insult Morte (assuming you're playing a jerk Nameless One), he never turns his back on you. This aspect of him only gets more mysterious when you find out that, when informing you of a message from your past life wrote down to be delivered to your current incarnation, he leaves off the last sentence of the message - "Don't trust the skull."

For most of the game you only get hints of Morte's involvement in the overarching plot, and the hints you get are always completely at odds with his goofy exterior. After a while you aren't even sure what he is, his claim of being a magical construct turning out to be a lie. It's only very late in the game where you fully learn that Morte's external personality hides deep feelings of guilt and regret due to his actions essentially causing the entire plot of the game. If your Nameless One doesn't help him overcome his issues and give Morte some peace then you're a bad person and I'm not sure we can be friends.

I think I would find Morte's jokes to be significantly more obnoxious than I was when I was younger, but considering that one of his special abilities is to annoy an enemy so much that they start acting stupid, that just means the writers were doing a good job. Planescape: Torment is a fantastically written game with many great characters, but out of all of The Nameless One's party members, Morte will always be the most memorable.

KamikazePotato
2 weeks ago#7
38. Tali (Mass Effect series)

"Just so you know, I'm running a fever, I've got a nasty cough, and my sinuses are filled with something I can't even describe.
And it was totally worth it."

Wrex is probably a better character but f*** it, Tali will always be my favorite. She has the same deal Wrex does, single-handedly supporting an entire race of unlikable douchbags by being just that likable and sympathetic. Seriously is there a single quarian you don't end up fed up with by the end of the series? Tali's personal quest aboard the flotilla made me wonder if the Geth shouldn't have wiped them out.

In Mass Effect 1, Tali is a huge dork that's both in over her head and trying to fill her father's shoes. She alternates between gushing about her species' history and trying to prove that she is a valuable, mature member of the team. Quarians in the galaxy are treated like crap and she knows that she has to work twice as hard to gain the same respect someone else would get from producing the same results. Over the course of Mass Effect 1, Shepard can help her validate the worth of her pilgrimage, giving her the confidence she's worked toward all game.

Then Mass Effect 2 comes around and oh boy. Tali is put in charge of leading a squad for the first time and it goes...poorly, resulting in several deaths. It's not really her fault but it doesn't stop others - and especially Tali herself - from blaming her. Then the quarians put her in a kangaroo court and try to use her as a scapegoat for some dumb political reason (did I mention how much the quarians suck?). Shepard again comes to the rescue and tells off the quarians for being jerks, making Tali realize that her true home was on the Normandy. The bit where she changes her last name to reflect that is genuinely touching. By Mass Effect 3, she's become the quarian she always wanted to be - confident, in charge, and doing right by her people. And by then, she's totally earned it.

User Info: LeonhartFour

LeonhartFour
2 weeks ago#8
heck yeah Wrex and Tali

top 5 squadmates
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/080/145/638.png
https://imgur.com/xSIWjVK

User Info: LeonhartFour

LeonhartFour
2 weeks ago#9
KamikazePotato posted...
Seriously is there a single quarian you don't end up fed up with by the end of the series?

Kal'Reegar
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/080/145/638.png
https://imgur.com/xSIWjVK

User Info: The Mana Sword

The Mana Sword
2 weeks ago#10
top 5 squad mates yes, though the quality dips pretty severely after 5!
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Gylgamesh501.png
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contests
  3. KP'S Top 40 Characters - Featuring Dante From The Devil May Cry Series

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.