• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Omega Ruby
  3. Actual Best Starter Pokemon
Saladinsix 7 months ago#1
Ive seen alot of websites say mudkip is the best starter pokemon and although water is my choice over fire and grass it really is not the case given ive played through with all 3. First of all Treecko isnt horrible but theres plenty of grass pokemon to catch along your journey and he just isnt on par with the other 2. I played with Mudkip and it was simple and sweet with not alot of difficulty like they say except finding a decent fire pokemon that isnt that stupid camel or slug is a task in itself. I am not a fire pokemon lover but using Torchic through the game compared to the other 2 is night and day. Lets just say I was racing to the next gym because he would disobey me from leveling up so fast. He absolutely destroys almost everything throughout the game and with his fire/fighting combo he can wipe out 1 elite four member by himself. With this said if your just starting this game I highly recommend Torchic and grabbing yourself a nice Tentacool along the way for water once you get your old rod because he is awesome as well. If you need grass there are TONS of different pokemon with grass moves to choose from on your journey.
Thard_Verad 7 months ago#2
Saladinsix posted...
Lets just say I was racing to the next gym because he would disobey me from leveling up so fast.
This is only an issue if you've traded Torchic into your current game. Pokemon for whom you are the OT will not disobey.

Mudkip is useful because it has few weaknesses and makes good use of the Waterfall (and/or Dive) HM. Surf can be taught to something like Linoone along with other HMs that you don't want on your primary squad. If you use Torchic as your starter you'll need another outlet for all those water moves required for transit. (And I suppose Tentacool/Tentacruel does work in that capacity)

Oh well, to each their own. I started with Treecko anyhow.
"Many in harmony surpass one in perfection." - Guildmaster, Etrian Odyssey II
Saladinsix 7 months ago#3
Yeah mudkip is awesome and yes i figured thats why he was disobeying because im trying to get all the starters in my collection so i started a new game with both treecko and torchic BUT treecko was only still a couple levels being Torchic and it is still very easy to get a water pokemon to use the HMs and it is not easy to find a fire pokemon if you dont like the camel or the slug. ALSO the fighting/fire combo is insanely good and Torchic still did SO much better on the journey than either of the two. If your reading this and you havent started the game yet its always best to choose the one you like most but trust me when I say if you want the easiest and most fun experience through the game you want Torchic. The other websites say Mudkip over Torchic but they are all numbers and statistics and its garbage. I dont even like fire pokemon. I always choose the water pokemon and im still saying this.
Saladinsix 7 months ago#4
Another point is Torchic/Blazekin is WAY better if you need to grind some levels. The fire destroys the grass encounters and the fighting takes out the normal
Saladinsix 7 months ago#5
and dont forget when its comes down to the elite 4 the ice lady is taken care of
Thard_Verad 7 months ago#6
Saladinsix posted...
and dont forget when its comes down to the elite 4 the ice lady is taken care of
Sealeo and Walrein might give a Fire-type some trouble, but as you say there's always Blaziken's Fighting half. I just used Medicham. No Fire-type needed. (Plus I taught it Ice Punch to deal with Drake)

So the real key to success is to have a Fighting-type on your Elite Four run. Sydney and Glacia both crumble when faced with that power. Pick whatever starter you like and fill in the team around it. If grinding is really such an issue, there are caves where water and grass can dominate, and plenty of ocean space for more grassy goodness.
"Many in harmony surpass one in perfection." - Guildmaster, Etrian Odyssey II
Lil_Bit83 5 months ago#7
Treecko and Mudkip. I've personally never liked the chicken.
2DS FC tempest 1478 9807 1205
Saladinsix 3 weeks ago#8
No Doubt. Interesting. Thanks
Zelda-nerd 3 days ago#9
Mudkip is the only one I’ve ever picked, as a swampert it can learn hammer arm from level up and ice punch from TM, as well as Outrage from move tutor. Let’s not forget electric has no effect on him and has excellent water and ground moves. I’d say that Swampert has the most coverage
3DS fc: 0662-9387-4445
Switch fc: 3627-3508-6981
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Omega Ruby
  3. Actual Best Starter Pokemon
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A