• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Last of Us Remastered
  3. Newb can't break free when grabbed

User Info: craig_psn

craig_psn
3 months ago#1
Sorry for the basic Q, but when I'm grabbed by e.g. a Runner, and I'm prompted to hit square to melee them, nothing happens. L2 doesn't let me break free either. These commands seemed to work fine earlier, but I think they were against uninfected people.

I am still very early in the game, and have encountered my first real group of infected. Don't know if I can get around them without being grabbed at least once by one of them. It seems to always be fatal. Not sure if this is "correct"...it seems that I should be able to break free if I respond immediately, but noooo.

Of course the scene could be as staged as most ND game scenes are, and you have to figure out by trial and error exactly how they want you to do something, otherwise you shall not pass...and maybe in this scenario ND wants me to do it without ever being caught i.e. to learn various stealth take-down techniques.
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: Nozak

Nozak
3 months ago#2
you gotta tap it bro.

craig_psn
3 months ago#3
^ Yeah, I have been. i.e. I didn't think it was like Strangle where you just press square once.

I tried tapping square really fast, and somewhat slower but regularly. No dice, so I changed controllers and it was the same.

Just knowing that it's (supposed to be) doable helps me a lot though. Was thinking maybe I'm not "strong" enough...my health is 3.5 bars...does that matter when it comes to trying to break free? Like I said, I'm really new to the game, and this is the first real encounter with >1 infected, so I don't know the lay of the land yet.

User Info: Quaddo1

Quaddo1
3 months ago#4
Mashing the square/melee-button should be enough to break free from a grab by a runner/stage 1 infected.

It does matter if Joel is injured (if he has very low health, the HUD is flashing red). The more injured he is the harder it is to escape a grab.

It's also dependent on which difficulty you're on, i.e. on easy the infected do very little damage to him when grabbing him compared to grounded. On the latter difficulty more intense tapping is also required to break loose, and is usually a losing battle.

Breaking free with the sprint-button (default: L2 on PS3 / L1 on PS4), only works when Joel's overwhelmed by several infected.

Not sure what you mean by the scene being "staged"? Though since you're still early in the game (I'm guessing the collapsing skyscraper?), i.e. you're still in the quite long tutorial section. Most ND games/areas/levels lets the player choose their own strategy once the game opens up (i.e. bypass encounters, stealth, open combat, or a mix).

[insert clever signature here]
(edited 3 months ago)

craig_psn
3 months ago#5
^ Thanks, helpful info.

Yes, I assumed I was still in the tutorial stage, notes pop up quite regularly. I was using this area to practice stuff, since it's the first time I have resources to craft things and multiple weapons of multiple types, plus lots of "dangerous" enemies and places to hide etc. = pretty good for learning.

By ND "staging" stuff in their games (I played UC4, UC:LL and UC2 just before TLOU), what I meant is you always have to do certain things a certain way, there is only the illusion of total choice, though there is a choice of strategy, whatever strategy you choose, you must do the required thing in the required way. e.g. you must take out the snipers "first" in many UC encounters, if you don't no matter how far you get, you will eventually fail ("magic" grenades will suddenly explode around you, come out of nowhere even indoors in a closed room, it's the game's way of saying "not allowed"). etc. All the combat encounters in ND games are like this, but it's so slickly done that I guess people don't really notice that much. Whereas I eat that kind of stuff up, I like to try some crazy schemes to see what's allowed (I am often surprised what games will let you do, things they never tell you about) and I'm quite analytical (strategy-wise) about games.

To tell the truth, ND games are not really my thing, though AFAIK I've played all their games on PS3/4. But I liked UC:LL the best, it's the most "open" of the UC games, and I'm liking TLOU a lot so far, though I think you're right, I'm in a collapsed building very near the beginning (been a week since I last played, so I'm a bit fuzzy on exactly where I am, plan to get back to the game tonight). I like that TLOU isn't too easy, and that it's "different" than what I usually play (PSVR games, RPG or RPG-like games).

[I almost always map my DS4 controls to the "PS3 schema" or choose "legacy" arrangement if available. Or do it manually using the PS4 button remapping, which works excellently. So yes, I may be using the PS3 control to break free (L2), never played it on PS3, but this button seemed convenient, I like to aim/shoot with L1/R1.]
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: Fatal Lightning

Fatal Lightning
3 months ago#6
Tap dancing
PSN:fatallightning

Quaddo1
3 months ago#7
craig_psn posted...
By ND "staging" stuff in their games (I played UC4, UC:LL and UC2 just before TLOU), what I meant is you always have to do certain things a certain way, there is only the illusion of total choice, though there is a choice of strategy, whatever strategy you choose, you must do the required thing in the required way. e.g. you must take out the snipers "first" in many UC encounters, if you don't no matter how far you get, you will eventually fail ("magic" grenades will suddenly explode around you, come out of nowhere even indoors in a closed room, it's the game's way of saying "not allowed"). etc. All the combat encounters in ND games are like this, but it's so slickly done that I guess people don't really notice that much. Whereas I eat that kind of stuff up, I like to try some crazy schemes to see what's allowed (I am often surprised what games will let you do, things they never tell you about) and I'm quite analytical (strategy-wise) about games.

The TLOU series is quite a lot different compared to Uncharted series.

Button-wise they're similar, like 75% or so. Otherwise, it's almost the complete opposite....

Uncharted is a shooter first, stealth game second. Mostly light in tone and dialogue as it's an over-the-top action-adventure that aims for entertainment before anything else.

TLOU is a stealth game first, shooter second. Mostly dark in tone and dialogue as it aims for a realistic/grounded experience in an adventure-survival-horror setting.

I like both series very much, though I'm more partial to TLOU.

Anyway, TLOU has a lot less of these fail-states/not-allowed-actions that Uncharted has. Though in some areas you can't sneak through and avoid killing everyone, and sometimes you're forced into open combat.

The section/area you seem to be in is a forced "kill everyone to proceed" one. Though how you go about it is up to you (stealth kill, open combat, or do a mix of both to kill every infected).

craig_psn
3 months ago#8
^ Yes, it was my first encounter with infected where killing them all is required. Enough enemies and weapons that I could try all the tutorial techniques. Except one that I'm not sure of, and didn't remember to try until after I decided it was time to move on: can I use a Runner as a hostage/shield? I think I did once, pretty sure I held a Runner while I head-shot a nearby Clicker, but not certain after so much playing around...

Anyway, though I never got caught/held in the solution I decided to keep (didn't use shivs and only used 2 bullets, IMO my best "work"), while I was practicing I did find I could easily break free when I had 5 health bars (full for me), yet I couldn't break free at all with 3.5 health bars. I had no idea health mattered that much as long as I was still alive, but I did start to suspect it, and it makes sense too...don't think that was mentioned in any of the lessons.

Really I was just comparing TLOU with the Uncharted games because they're all from ND, something I didn't even know about TLOU until I started playing it. Not because I thought they would be similar...even at my early stage I see they're quite different. However...I do know how ND tends to do things, and they typically give you "hints" about what you should do, hints that are often more obvious in retrospect (least to me). e.g. if you are introduced to Molotov cocktails, and given lots of materials to make them, chances are good you should probably be using them in that scenario, and it may be very difficult to "pass" without doing so. Anyway I eat up this strategy and resource management stuff, it's one of my favorite parts of gaming, so already TLOU has a lot more going for it for me than the UC games, where you practically "start over" (re guns) every other scene.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quaddo1
3 months ago#9
Yes, technically you can use a runner as hostage/shield. Though I don't think there's any advantage to it. Using a non-infected as a hostage/meat-shield is useful though.

Yes the game doesn't explicitly tell/show the player every game-mechanic in tlou. The tutorial section, and the tutorials in the pause menu, only shows the basics. Other stuff has to be figured out by the player.

When a new mechanic gets introduced it's merely a suggestion and not necessarily the only way to get through the upcoming area, but there are other ways to get past as well. E.g. when throwables get introduced it's not to the player's advantage to necessarily use it there and then. In fact, alerting the enemy is more to one's detriment there.

(edited 3 months ago)

craig_psn
3 months ago#10
^ That was a poor example I gave re the M. cocktails. I didn't use them until much later. I should have used the example of a shiv in the cupboard right at the start of "part 2" of this "Downtown" scene. As if using shivs wouldn't be obvious, but the "hint" here (in retrospect) is that you may need a lot of shivs for this scene, so use them wisely.

I also noticed when playing around that an enemy will drop different items when killed. Often nothing, but sometimes bullets, and much more rarely, a shiv. Same enemy I mean, killing them the same way. So there is a bit of randomness going on. I am not much good with the guns yet, I prefer finding good consumables at this point, need to get to a scene where shooting is necessary, to practice that. I think I'm at a place where soldiers are looking for me, so I may get a chance soon. What I'd really like is a rifle...
(edited 3 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. The Last of Us Remastered
  3. Newb can't break free when grabbed
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers