Please help me decide if i should buy this (was lukewarm on the first)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
  3. Please help me decide if i should buy this (was lukewarm on the first)

User Info: DJSnafu23

DJSnafu23
10 months ago#1
Hi guys,

trying to decide if i should buy this, would appreciate some help! I was basically hoping that on the 2nd game the focus will be more on war, double crosses, intrigue than the day to day life and character development.

Also hoping the pacing will be a bit swifter, i guess i'm getting more impatient with old age. My fav games are FF Tactics, Suikoden 1 and 2, FFVI, I kind of like to feel tense and a sense of danger and that anything could happen. I found the first game a little too cheery and lacking tension and any surprises until the last chapter. Does it continue from where it left off, or is the second game similar to the first's tone and pacing?

Thanks in advance, and while it should go without saying not trying to insult anyone who did like the pacing and the emphasis on characters rather than plot. I'm a little OCD so if i start it chances are i'll end up spending 90 hours on it regardless of how i like it to start with.

User Info: Bishop_Sasarai

Bishop_Sasarai
10 months ago#2
The second game should solve your issues with the first, but I'm not making guarantees.
PSN: HarmoniaVictor
PrasadamJRPGaholichistorybuff

User Info: k4r6000

k4r6000
10 months ago#3
It is definitely more war focused than the first game, although it is still slower paced and more character driven than something like Suikoden. The player characters function more like special operatives than frontline troops.

It does continue where the first one left off with the good guys completely on the ropes and is considerably more bleak and less cheery overall.

It is also a tad shorter than the first game, but not by much. Maybe by about 4-5 hours.

User Info: helldew

helldew
10 months ago#4
i mean you saw how the first game ended the second game doesn't have to heavy of a time skip. the school setting is gone. its still LOH where characters deaths are a rarity but yeah the second game is generally faster paced.
Competitive smash Player , random gaming news, + game dev stuff. Follow me on twitter @helldew93 #shamelessselfpromotion

User Info: DJSnafu23

DJSnafu23
10 months ago#5
Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it. I'm not sure if my taste is slowly changing, I pretty much just play RPG and strategy stuff, but not enjoyed this, Ar Nosurge and Lost Dimension all that much story wise...but I think i would have years ago. I just bought Alpha Protocol on a whim, but unless I buy CS2 it'll be my last ever PS3 game which feels weird and kinda sad. I'll see if anyone else chimes in and might flip a coin! I've just had a son and between that and work its a huge time investment to lay out 80-85 hours so I'm trying to be vigilant:)

Also it's my first entry on LOH so I guess I didn't know the general vibe. It read a wee bit like Suikoden cause of the wart setting, and as mentioned above i couldn't stop playing that game...

User Info: k4r6000

k4r6000
10 months ago#6
It is definitely a time sink. It isn't a game you can beat in 40 hours or less playing normally like most 90s RPGs.

I do think CS2 is more similar to Suikoden than the first due to the war story and a good portion of the game is spent recruiting people (many optional) for your "army" kind of like the Stars of Destiny.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
  3. Please help me decide if i should buy this (was lukewarm on the first)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived