• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate
  3. The final boss should never have lost to the main character

User Info: batman_pwns

batman_pwns
8 years ago#11
Zeran_kariashi posted...
From a statistical point of view In vanilla BG a fighter would cap at lvl 7.

Under the 89,000 exp cap, yes, a pure class fighter maxes at 7, but under the TotSC 161,000 exp cap he can hit 8.

Sarevok is a lvl 15 fighter. His stats are also high (Str 20, 18 dex, 21 con, 17 int, 13 wis, 14 cha (Taken from Final battle Sarevok in BG1, not ToB stats).

Where do you get those stats? I haven't done it in a while, but I use Ctrl+Q to add any npc to the party and look at their stat screen, and I am 99% sure his strength is 18/00 with -5 THAC0 and -5 AC. He also starts out hasted, and I usually hit him with an arrow of dispelling to get rid of that.

I wouldn't say one on one is an equal fight. Final Boss Sarevok has 286 hp. That's roughly double what you can achieve through equipment alone. Even if everything else being equal, you're still gonna have to get a lot luckier then him to win in that situation.

What do you consider an equal fight? No buffing? As I showed earlier, both Charname and Sarevok end up even with the same APR and same 45% chance to hit. Of course Sarevok's massive hit point total gives him the edge. If buffing is allowed, there is no contest. Charname will wipe the floor with Sarevok. Charname can buff his THAC0 up to where he only misses Sarevok's measly -5 AC on a critical failure. So then it is a 95% chance to hit vs a 45% chance to hit, and Charname will be doing more damage with 24-25 strength.

User Info: goldenmouth

goldenmouth
8 years ago#12
Zeran_kariashi must be citing Sarevok's un-nerfed, pre-ToSC stats.
(message deleted)

User Info: Grey_Weaver

Grey_Weaver
8 years ago#14
Ok I finally admit this topic is made of massive fail or whatever.

Whatever your opinions on the matter I still think you all are denying that Character Name would lose horrifically to Sarevok and his lackeys without the game engine to hold your hands.

Without the hit point system one hit from Sarevok would kill you. I doubt character name has the balls to stand up to this guy let alone actually kill him. And this is just hypothetical because the weakling known as character name would never get this far without the game developers holding his hand.

From what I gathered from npc dialogue and it is impossible to miss unless you don't read is that character name doesn't look intimidating or strong. For example even the assassins in candlekeep don't see why anyone thinks character name is a threat even if you bought armor and a weapon.

Games like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, ect don't deserve to be called role playing games. The fundamentals behind role playing don't exist in these games.

How can you role play this game when it obviously has a human fighter syndrome going on.

Not to mention HOW can you be a fighter without looking like a body builder? When you swing your sword using all of your strength you will strain your muscles and if you keep at it your arms will look ripped.

Your legs can get ripped too, running on the plains, even walking for miles will strain your leg muscles.

When you run for example your abs will get a workout too.

When your muscles strain your body adapts and creates a new limit.

Ex. you could lift 50 pounds but you exercised and rested for a month you might be able to lift 70-80 pounds or more.

batman_pwns
8 years ago#15
Grey_Weaver posted...
Ok I finally admit this topic is made of massive fail or whatever.

Yeah, that sums up your posting nicely.

Whatever your opinions on the matter I still think you all are denying that Character Name would lose horrifically to Sarevok and his lackeys without the game engine to hold your hands.

So basically you are saying that using spells and potions is the game holding your hand. That's one of the most idiotic things I have heard in awhile.

Its not the game engine actually. Its the D&D rules. Sarevok's stats are really nothing special. Heck, even Drizzt who is the best swordsman in the Realms has crappy stats too, and the game has to cheat his stats a bit and give him a whopping -16 AC so that he can't be beaten easily. But even then a fighter/mage can easily beat him one-on-one without getting hit.

From what I gathered from npc dialogue and it is impossible to miss unless you don't read is that character name doesn't look intimidating or strong. For example even the assassins in candlekeep don't see why anyone thinks character name is a threat even if you bought armor and a weapon.

Looks can be deceiving, and Carbos and Shank are morons.

Not to mention HOW can you be a fighter without looking like a body builder?

Pretty easily actually. Eat a crappy diet and you will look like crap. One of the common problems that many people have is that they don't realize that diet is of much more importance than exercise. You can do all the exercise in the world, but if you eat crappy you will never get six pack abs.

User Info: Grey_Weaver

Grey_Weaver
8 years ago#16
Ok I'm not talking about spells and potions I'm am talking about the combat system in which you have hitpoints, thac0, etc.

Get this through your THICK skulls: I'm talking about a REAL LIFE scenario (yes this is a game but this is hypothetical). Imagine you and me are in the world Toril (where Baldur's Gate takes place) but we use real life principles for instance if a non magic arrow hits us we would be dead in one shot or if we are lucky we probably still bleed to death. Or a melf's acid arrow hit one of us and that person would be dead too.

It makes sense in the game when you are using the combat system to beat your opponents but even a couple of magic missiles would kill a level 40 warrior converted from the game rules to real life rules.

Character name using real life rules would be dead if he fought the likes of Sarevok and friends if he even got that far which he wouldn't.

User Info: BoswerLK

BoswerLK
8 years ago#17
oh yeah, cuz it makes so much more sense to apply earth mechanics of melf's acid arrow to toril -_-

cuz you know obviously, the real life mechanics of melf's acid arrow is so well documented in science
-BoswerLK : http://boswerlk.wordpress.com
"I am going as the crow flies, I am a Stig. Straight line. I will not deviate."
(message deleted)

batman_pwns
8 years ago#19
Boswer Elkei posted...
oh yeah, cuz it makes so much more sense to apply earth mechanics of melf's acid arrow to toril -_-

cuz you know obviously, the real life mechanics of melf's acid arrow is so well documented in science

Yeah, no ****. TC makes Billy Madison look like a rocket scientist in comparison.

Also going by his logic, Gorion would have easily killed Sarevok. All those magic missiles would have turned him into a pincushion. The game should have been over before it barely even began.
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate
  3. The final boss should never have lost to the main character
  • Topic Archived