• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate
  3. Rate my Paladin's starting stats

User Info: AppleManTeddy

AppleManTeddy
12 years ago#1
And no saying it's a Paladin so it fails... :)

STR 18/67
DEX 18
CON 18
INT 6
WIL 18
CHA 18

Oh yeah, best starting stats I've ever come up with. If I'd gotten a /91 + for strength I'd consider him a God.

I exported him big time and will use him after I finish my current Evil run-through.

User Info: The_Pig_

The_Pig_
12 years ago#2
Due to me being a hardcore roleplayer, I would have to say your character sucks. I hate min-maxers.

An Intelligence of 6 means that your character is so "mentally challenged" that he probably doesn't even know how to wield a sword properly. I always did believe that intelligence should play a role in THAC0 as well. A smart person can effectively make a better swordmaster than a dumb big brute.

Also, look at this. Minsc has an Intelligence of 8. Minsc is smarter than your character and that is saying a lot right there.

(As another side note, if you decide to import this character into BG2, then mind flayers are going to give you some big trouble.)

User Info: joefitts63

joefitts63
12 years ago#3
Well, Pig, I have to agree with you. Even if you ARE going to min/max, that assignment of points makes no sense. Wis should be dumped as much as possible in favor of Int, for sure. But then, perhaps he isn't really asking for anyone to critique the point assignments, but merely bragging about how high a roll he got. Of course, that would be a fail also, since paladin is by far the easiest class to get high rolls with.
A good friend will help you move. A really good friend will help you move a body.

User Info: BgSoA

BgSoA
12 years ago#4
5/10

Would be 9/10 but your stats are too imbalanced. If you had say 15 wis, 17 dex and 10 int, you'd have a much better character, with only a few drawbacks.

The_Pig_
12 years ago#5
A 5/10 is too generous.

merely bragging about how high a roll he got. Of course, that would be a fail also, since paladin is by far the easiest class to get high rolls with.

That's what I thought as well... especially when he starts out with saying that we can't say he fails due to him being a paladin. Paladins are so easy to roll in the mid 90s, so his build isn't impressive in the slightest bit even going by a pure powergamer's dream. If he wanted to be truly impressive, he should try to get the same roll with a generic fighter. (And do it in very few rolls... anyone can get a high roll if they spend hours and hours re-rolling.)

User Info: Latronis

Latronis
12 years ago#6
18 for the 3 physical stats is good. Especially for an import when exceptional strength is only going to matter for BG.

Wisdom is pointless for a warrior type. Drop it down to the minimum.

Intelligence has more effect, you need a 9 to use generic\priest scrolls. And you'll want an 11 in bg2 for frontlining mindflayers.

Charisma is great, ofc 17 is the minimum so it's not that great, but i'd always start bg1 with a 18 charisma paladin if i can.

STR 18/67
DEX 18
CON 18
INT 11
WIS 13
CHA 18

Much better stat distribution.
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
There are optimists, and there are pessimists. And then there is Ascalden - Zawkpuppet

AppleManTeddy
12 years ago#7
That was about 20mins of rolling so don't think I wasted hours - i reckon you'd get near all maxed if you spent hours.

If you like to roll play hard anyway the whole thing makes no sense that someone would have 18 wisdom and 6 intelligence. Wisdom and Intelligence are pretty much linked, no one has good wisdom if they have no memory.

As for high wisdom, I thought level 9 (10/) Paladin gets priest spells so it's a must. It's a minimum of 13, I assumed for a reason. From a roleplay view if I need 13 wisdom at least it must be important.

My Fighter/Mage I'm using is like this:
STR 15
DEX 19
CON 15
INT 18
WIL 18
CHA 9

So for those complaining about getting into the 90s with a Paladin you can see it's not that hard with a Fighter/Mage. That took only 4 or 5 mins, I actually didn't look at how high she was until I wasted that time on the Paladin and realised the stats had worked out well.

My Paladin could clearly pwn most of you, that makes his having his low intel all the sweeter. Ever had your arse kicked by a 'special' person? :D

AppleManTeddy
12 years ago#8
especially when he starts out with saying that we can't say he fails due to him being a paladin.

That had nothing to do with the rolling, it was mentioned because everyone thinks Paladins (along with Bards) make crappy characters.

The_Pig_
12 years ago#9
Your post is full of epic fail.

If you like to roll play hard anyway the whole thing makes no sense that someone would have 18 wisdom and 6 intelligence. Wisdom and Intelligence are pretty much linked, no one has good wisdom if they have no memory.

It is very much possible to have low intelligence and high wisdom or vice versa. The two stats are very different. Intelligence is book-smarts. Wisdom is common sense and intuition. Think of a person who is leads a sheltered life but reads many many books. He will have a high intelligence but a low wisdom. The opposite is also true. A person could have great common sense yet never really studies. This person would have high wisdom and low intelligence.

As for high wisdom, I thought level 9 (10/) Paladin gets priest spells so it's a must. It's a minimum of 13, I assumed for a reason. From a roleplay view if I need 13 wisdom at least it must be important.

Wisdom has applications in PnP, but it isn't implemented in BG. Wisdom is supposed to give a bonus to saving throws, but it wasn't implemented. The only thing BG implements regarding wisdom is that clerics and druids gets bonus spells for high wisdom, but paladins and druids do not. So therefore wisdom is useless for any class other than a cleric or druid.

So for those complaining about getting into the 90s with a Paladin you can see it's not that hard with a Fighter/Mage. That took only 4 or 5 mins, I actually didn't look at how high she was until I wasted that time on the Paladin and realised the stats had worked out well.

No one was complaining that it is easy for paladins to get high rolls. Also, getting high rolls with a fighter/mage is rather easy too. Try doing it with a pure class fighter.

My Paladin could clearly pwn most of you, that makes his having his low intel all the sweeter. Ever had your arse kicked by a 'special' person?

You are clearly a newb, yet you say you could pwn us. Classic.

That had nothing to do with the rolling, it was mentioned because everyone thinks Paladins (along with Bards) make crappy characters.

WTF are you smoking? No one has ever said that paladins are crappy characters. I think it is time to lay off the crack when you start dreaming up stuff like this.

User Info: Silasire

Silasire
12 years ago#10
Hmm, at yet still less angst than that WoW boards.
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate
  3. Rate my Paladin's starting stats
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A