You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Alien: Isolation
  3. Alien Day Celebratory videos

User Info: Raycon

Raycon
2 months ago#1
So just in case people didn't know, 20th Century Fox is doing an Alien Day celebration up to April 26. They've been releasing some fan videos every week, with 2 more due April 26th itself. Of the four out, I think 2 of them are done very well (and the other's aren't bad either). As it's a fan project, there's quite a bit presented off-screen, so don't go in expecting a full-fledged Alien experience (or maybe that makes it closer to an Alien successor in that way...), but I think they're worth a look!
I must have looked a fool playing with a backwards DS, teary eyed solving a Sudoku puzzle -Lordx718

User Info: Jasric

Jasric
2 months ago#2
I watched all six, they were pretty solid. I liked "Alone" and "Specimen" especially. "Alone" was an interesting take on how an android might see the species (and itself), and "Specimen" had a nice creep factor, even if it did rely on the old "lost pet" trope from Brett's death scene in the original. Still, it was a nice nod to the movie.

I notice that my two faves contradict each other, which may be part of the reason I enjoyed watching them back to back. It's just interesting seeing two different fan takes on what might happen in similar situations not covered in the movie. In "Alone," the facehugger can sense the protagonist isn't a viable host, while in "Specimen," the parasite is fooled into implanting a droid disguised as a dog. While I lean towards the "Alone" side, the ending to "Specimen" is a neat way to revisit the company's ceaseless drive to harness the species without redoing the same methods over again.

It's funny that half these shorts don't even feature the adult Alien, but they're all pretty good.

Raycon
2 months ago#3
Jasric posted...
It's funny that half these shorts don't even feature the adult Alien, but they're all pretty good.

Yeah, when I started in order, that really bugged me at first, but it was well worth the wait. I was especially impressed with Ore. For what little it did have, the effects were pretty great (I thought). The whole thing really felt right at home with the lower class culture we got a glimpse of in Alien.

Specimen is pretty incredible, and well deserved. Some really great moments with so little actually on screen, haha. Though I will add (in response to your spoiler-blocked text), didn't the facehugger in Alone try to grab her at first, but her reflexes stopped it in time? At least, that's what it looked like to me, but I could be misreading it. Plus, we don't know for sure it was trying to get the dog in Specimen; the dog was hounding it (pun intended?) the whole episode, so those few moments we got a glimpse of might have just been its attempt to rip the intruder to shreds = O

Could be either way, but I don't think it's a glaring enough issue; they're both pretty great in their own right.

Alone was a very interesting take on the idea, for sure. I'm not too certain the facehugger would be nearly that cuddly with someone, even if they aren't a viable host, but it was still pretty cool to find it cute for a change. = P

Plus, getting Bill Paxton's son in the episode was a pretty awesome surprise. = D
I must have looked a fool playing with a backwards DS, teary eyed solving a Sudoku puzzle -Lordx718

Jasric
2 months ago#4
I might've misinterpreted the ending to Specimen, probably the title had something to do with it. I thought when Julie said "she did her job," she meant that Maggie had collected a specimen for Weyland-Yutani, which was why the facehugger was no longer aggressive. I guess a real dog would've worked better if that was the intent. I'm still fuzzy on why the facehugger just stopped, maybe it was too injured to keep attacking. I guess the reason for the android dog was to spot contagions and protect crew members from them. Seems like a pretty hefty expense in man hours alone of programming and design, let alone the cost of the android itself, for such a basic purpose.

In "Alone," the facehugger initially did try to infect her, but through contact with her it realized that she was inorganic. I suppose it hung around because it's instinctually drawn to sounds and signs of activity even though it has eliminated her as a potential host. She realizes this, but projects human feelings onto it, much like a human would a wild animal kept as a pet. Even more interestingly, she attributes human feelings to herself even though she's incapable of true compassion. It's a pretty deep story for a ten-minute short.

I didn't even pay attention to the names of the cast. It's Paxton's son, but could potentially be Hudson's grandfather or something.

Raycon
2 months ago#5
Oh yeah, there's some chatter at the beginning of Specimen that I can't make out to save my life. Probably plot-relevant, too, but there were no subtitles on my video. >= /

Surprisingly, the one thing that irks me the most about Alone is the Facehugger animation. It moves its front legs up and down like a freaking spider when it's lingering around her. I know they're trying to "humanize" it for us, when have facehuggers ever done that!? = O

Raycon
2 months ago#6
Oh, and someone in another topic pointed out an Alien play that a school put on. I took a minute to look over the highlights, and they had some really impressive practical effects going on! Plus, I have to give some love to the bits that used Alien Isolation footage/sound effects. = D

Jasric
2 months ago#7
That was impressive. They had a nod to "Aliens" too; one of the Nostromo crew says "Game Over, man!" which drew an appreciative laugh. It must have been a thrill for the cast when Ripley herself came to show some love.

Raycon
2 months ago#8
Yeah. I was kind of surprised that Ridley Scott donated $5000 though. I mean... was that really all he had to give? Educations budgets aren't exactly overflowing these days!
  1. Boards
  2. Alien: Isolation
  3. Alien Day Celebratory videos