You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Alien: Isolation
  3. Need a sequel!!!

User Info: Jasric

Jasric
1 month ago#21
To me, the infinite spawning made it feel less authentic. Not only from a suspension of disbelief perspective, seeing as each drone represents some unfortunate who's "hatched" one of these things, meaning the species somehow has an endless supply of human hosts, but also from a standpoint of the game capturing the proper mood of action/horror. The lulls in between each encounter are just as important as the encounters themselves for the sake of suspense and tension building. The most successful films of either franchise (Alien, Aliens and Predator) found a good balance between the two. Even Hicks' squad had moments of respite between waves to plan a defense. While you won't be poring over compound blueprints or sealing doors shut, you should still occasionally have the chance to explore the level to find your objectives or stock up on items after fending off a horde of foes. It was really a problem in half the marine levels. I would've loved Orbital, for example, if I hadn't been compelled by the endless Aliens to just hurry through it and not engage any of the Predators.

Not to say AvP 99 never hit the mark, it was just more hit-or-miss. I felt the appropriate relief in Invasion when the dropship showed up, and playing as the titular monsters gives you plenty of time to gather your thoughts and plan your attack.

Neither game is perfect. They're both great, just for different reasons.

User Info: Raycon

Raycon
1 month ago#22
Jasric posted...
seeing as each drone represents some unfortunate who's "hatched" one of these things, meaning the species somehow has an endless supply of human hosts

It could have been a deluxe-sized colony! If the colony was the size of Chicago, for instance, there wouldn't be any shortage of hosts...

Jasric posted...
The lulls in between each encounter are just as important as the encounters themselves for the sake of suspense and tension building.

There were lulls...! They just weren't very long!
And I could have sworn there were a few rooms in the Invasion level where you could actually catch your breath (not all rooms had holes in the ceilings for quick travel). Though the respawn rate on Tyrargo, I'll give you. That was pushed to the extreme. And in fairness, the infinite respawns were only a feature of the Director's Cut difficulty, as I recall. = P
I must have looked a fool playing with a backwards DS, teary eyed solving a Sudoku puzzle -Lordx718

Jasric
1 month ago#23
Raycon posted...
There were lulls...! They just weren't very long!

A nastier person than me might've posted...
Lulls! More like lulz! Hahahaha!

Sorry. I'd have to uninstall AvP Gold and play the vanilla game to be sure, but I think the respawning happened on Realistic as well. I remember trying it on Invasion and having the same issue.

After playing all six campaigns back-to-back, I enjoyed the Marine sections on 2010 much more, but the titular characters were more even between games. The finishers and improved melee combat in 2010 are great, but the Alien had the more challenging health recharging in 1999, forcing you to find victims to feed on. The Predator had better resource management in 1999 because all weapons and cloaking had limits to them. I think a lot of the changes worked to improve the game's fairness, but those in particular nade things a little too easy at times.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: SneakiestNeg

SneakiestNeg
1 month ago#24
The game had underwhelming sales. Especially when you consider it wasn't a low budget project.

Stealth games are simply not as mainstream as people think and try hard "get good" gamers are not the norm. Many people simply don't want to deal with the frustration. Completion rates on this game are abominable. I am playing novice mode myself. But this feature was added WAY too late.

Secondly Alien is not a big franchise anymore. The original movie is great and a real classic but gamers under 20 likely never watched it. The frankly terrible prequels ruined Alien.

Jasric
1 month ago#25
I wouldn't say gamers under 20 likely never watched it, it's a timeless classic. There was a story recently of a high-school production of the original Alien that included Isolation's sound effects, so these were young fans of both game and movie. Also, with classic films being released and re-released on newer formats, the original year they came out is moot.

I will agree that action is more mainstream than stealth, especially in the Alien universe. Most Alien(s) games are based on the "Aliens" model of easy-to-kill individuals in swarms rather than the creature as a less frequent but tougher boss-like enemy. I'm hoping we do see more games that buff (or un-nerf) the Xenomorph and that Isolation has at least left its mark in that sense.

User Info: Raycon

Raycon
1 month ago#26
Jasric posted...
I'm hoping we do see more games that buff (or un-nerf) the Xenomorph and that Isolation has at least left its mark in that sense.

Agreed. And I'd even put the Alien franchise right up there with Jaws as one of those movies that will retain some degree of enduring relevance. Nothing lasts forever, and we'll eventually have a generation that's never heard of both, but that's a ways down the road.
I must have looked a fool playing with a backwards DS, teary eyed solving a Sudoku puzzle -Lordx718
(message deleted)

Jasric
3 weeks ago#28
If they do make a sequel, I hope they tweak the issues that hurt the game's fun factor so that it can appeal to a wider audience. This part I'm replaying now where you have to evade three survivors is absurd, both from a gameplay and story perspective. There's no reason for them to want you dead, you have almost no equipment and very little useful cover, as the tables in the area are too short for Amanda to crouch behind. Sneaking doesn't work, fighting doesn't work, running fails, distractions will only lure two of the looters at most, and the rewire panels that bring smoke don't seem to help conceal you at all. It's frustrating and unnecessary.

The Alien is good for the most part, but I hate the sections of the game that shorten its proximity to the player to an extremely tight patrol area no matter how stealthily you move around. Naturally the Xeno should remain a constant threat, but having it bounce back and forth between the same two rooms when there's plenty of areas for it to check is just unfair. It's the worst of both worlds, because it ceases to be unpredictable, but there's very little you can do to break the pattern once it hems you in and refuses to ever go away.

I do understand why the game punishes excessive camping, I just think it does so the wrong way. It'd be better if, instead of just gravitating magically towards you, the Alien started to hiss or make some indication that it is becoming frustrated, then start checking under things. That's a sign that you'd better get moving.
  1. Boards
  2. Alien: Isolation
  3. Need a sequel!!!