• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dr. Luigi
  3. This game is truly awful.

User Info: FF_Fiend

FF_Fiend
7 years ago#1
I loved NES Dr. Mario with an unbridled passion - I loved it more than Tetris, even. I loved Dr. Mario 64 for its clean visuals and story mode. So when I heard a Dr. Luigi game was coming out, I was pumped. And then I completely forgot about it existing for a while. But last night I spotted it and picked it up, thanking the gods that I could pay only 15 dollars for such a great puzzle game.

I'd watched reviews just before, so I knew what to expect. No story mode. Weird, after Dr. Mario 64, but alright. It's essentially just a bunch of AI battles, so at least they still have the option to face AI. They finally have a Dr. Mario with a decent online system (no, the wii one doesn't count). So that's good.

And that's where the compliments start and end. The L block game is a TRAINWRECK. What's the point in having only blocks with 3 colors or something, making everything an instant kill? and you can't maneuver those blocks into any narrow gaps. And every time a block falls, you're going to be taking out a virus. It's a terrible game, and you'll never play it.

How about the Wii U tablet version, where everything looks big and tacky, sort of like Megaloblocks compared to Legos, and everything moves at half the speed of time itself, even at the highest speed. Oh and did I mention you have to play with the stylus? Yeah, that's what I want to do in a supposedly high speed game. Grip a pen to move things around. Also, when you complete a row causing other pieces to fall, you can move those pieces left or right as they descend. Meaning causing chains isn't the result of careful maneuvering and planning. It's just being quick enough - which by the way, needn't be that quick. Awful game, and you'll never play it.

So the only thing salvageable is the classic mode, which is somehow fuzzier and less distinct than Dr. Mario 64 or the more recent Wii Ware edition, and the online mode. Which no one I know has a Wii U, let alone this game, so I won't be able to play with anything but silent anonymous strangers - making it no different from playing with AI.

Low, low marks, Nintendo. How dare you take my money by abusing the effects of nostalgia.
Playing: lots of things.
PSN ID: Call_Me_Queequeg
  1. Boards
  2. Dr. Luigi
  3. This game is truly awful.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A