should I buy this or bravely default?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Bravely Second: End Layer
  3. should I buy this or bravely default?

User Info: Enderdude17

Enderdude17
2 years ago#31
Alright, fine. For all you naysayers of the story and other cool stuff they do thats actually brilliant as hell but I understand why you hate it,

If you play Second, there is a VERY high probability youll love the battle system so much tjat youll want more, abd get Default anyway. So i say get Default, catch the bug, enjoy the genius story, then get your fill with Seconds more light hearted story and in context world. And improved battle system
I am the hope of the Universe. I am the answer to all living things crying out for peace. I am protector of the innocent, the light in the darkness. I am Truth.

User Info: goomypls

goomypls
2 years ago#32
MultiKoopa posted...
You guys are forgetting something important

The insanely stupid, completely unforgivable thing that happens halfway through the first game. Like, yeah, I loved the first game in spite of that stupid thing, but it's maybe one of the worst things I've ever seen a video game do. And this is coming from somebody who's played all the Kingdom Hearts games.

Despite my love of the first game, I probably wouldn't have bothered with Bravely Second if I hadn't been told that it does NOT do the same thing as the first game halfway through. I'm told there's still some kind of gimmick, but that it's nothing like the first game's.

So... Honestly, I can't even really recommend Bravely Default to people even though I love the game. Because I cannot defend that thing halfway through. It really just brings the whole game down and I can completely understand if somebody encounters it and goes "screw this game, it can go to hell"

If you care about the story, just look up a plot summary somewhere and enjoy the 2nd game, which seems better right off the bat.

I beg to differ. No "plot summary" ever does the story justice, and the only objectionable parts of the game are chapters 5 and 6.

I would recommend simply avoiding all sidequests (blue markers) on chapters 5 and 6, then continue on starting with chapter 7.
3ds FC: 4098 3572 4532

Enderdude17
2 years ago#33
goomypls posted...
MultiKoopa posted...

The insanely stupid, completely unforgivable thing that happens halfway through the first game. Like, yeah, I loved the first game in spite of that stupid thing, but it's maybe one of the worst things I've ever seen a video game do. And this is coming from somebody who's played all the Kingdom Hearts games.

Despite my love of the first game, I probably wouldn't have bothered with Bravely Second if I hadn't been told that it does NOT do the same thing as the first game halfway through. I'm told there's still some kind of gimmick, but that it's nothing like the first game's.

So... Honestly, I can't even really recommend Bravely Default to people even though I love the game. Because I cannot defend that thing halfway through. It really just brings the whole game down and I can completely understand if somebody encounters it and goes "screw this game, it can go to hell"

If you care about the story, just look up a plot summary somewhere and enjoy the 2nd game, which seems better right off the bat.

I beg to differ. No "plot summary" ever does the story justice, and the only objectionable parts of the game are chapters 5 and 6.

I would recommend simply avoiding all sidequests (blue markers) on chapters 5 and 6, then continue on starting with chapter 7.

But five and six sidequests afford you funny character moments, subtle changes in dialogue, different and cool perspectives, and more time with Mephilias superb florie speech. Come on, why wouldnt you want to see holly f*** Barrass because the survived cuz reraise. Or how the jackal takes care of kids. And how awesome kamiizumi is
I am the hope of the Universe. I am the answer to all living things crying out for peace. I am protector of the innocent, the light in the darkness. I am Truth.

User Info: Mayobe

Mayobe
2 years ago#34
MultiKoopa posted...

The insanely stupid, completely unforgivable thing that happens halfway through the first game.

Except I liked what they did and I think that BD is better in many ways than BS. They're both certainly worth playing though. These are the first decent RPGs for long, long time.

User Info: MultiKoopa

MultiKoopa
2 years ago#35
goomypls posted...

You're forgetting that one important sidequest that opens up near the end of Chapter 6. the Conjurer sidequest is by far the best part of the alternate world stuff

Enderdude17 posted...
But five and six sidequests afford you funny character moments, subtle changes in dialogue, different and cool perspectives, and more time with Mephilias superb florie speech. Come on, why wouldnt you want to see holly f*** Barrass because the survived cuz reraise. Or how the jackal takes care of kids. And how awesome kamiizumi is

uh

some of what you're talking about is in Chapter 7.
-How many calculations couldn't a calculator calculate if a calculator couldn't calculate calculations?-Random Craziness, Courtesy of MultiKoopa.

User Info: AuraChannelerCh

AuraChannelerCh
2 years ago#36
Default first by default.

Second will feel just weird to you if you forego a HELL lot of character development.
NNID: AuraGuyChris
AuraChannelerChris' Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AuraChannelerChris

User Info: rareware4life

rareware4life
2 years ago#37
Haven't finished the second game yet, but both are excellent. I would recommend playing Default first since there are a lot of characters that appear in both as well as some references to past events in Second.

When it comes to the second half of Default, just skip the sidequests. I think it's crazy people complain about the repetition when it's really minimal if you just keep awakening crystals. You don't need to be a completionist and will enjoy the game much more!

Enderdude17
2 years ago#38
MultiKoopa posted...
goomypls posted...

You're forgetting that one important sidequest that opens up near the end of Chapter 6. the Conjurer sidequest is by far the best part of the alternate world stuff

Enderdude17 posted...

uh

some of what you're talking about is in Chapter 7.

Not true. sevens quests are:
Derosso and Victor.
Victoria, kikyo, and artemia (girl power)
Kamiizumi, Alternis, Braev.
DeRosa, Qada, profiteur
Praline and jackal to Praline, Khamer, Jackel
Khint holly and Einheria
Yulyana Barbarosa and Mephilia
Ominas Bahamut Hienkel and Barras.

We see jackal with kids and Holly+Barras doin it in chapter 6. Kamiizumi is always awesome in every chapter, and Mephilias Florie speech is in 5 and 6.

So uh... you're wrong

User Info: MultiKoopa

MultiKoopa
2 years ago#39
oh

my bad
-How many calculations couldn't a calculator calculate if a calculator couldn't calculate calculations?-Random Craziness, Courtesy of MultiKoopa.

User Info: Serenitys_Cat

Serenitys_Cat
2 years ago#40
I can only speak for myself, but I got bored with Default before I even got to the dreaded gimmick. I basically bought Second based entirely on assurances that it was much more to my taste, coming from friends whose opinion I value highly, and... it is. I am absolutely loving everything about Second so far.

I don't regret having played Default, but I'd never play it again. I find that, for me, Second is a much more enjoyable experience in every regard. However, I definitely think that playing Default enhanced my Second experience immensely. As such, I vote for starting with Default if possible and playing either to completion or until you can't take it anymore (if the latter you should find a good Let's Play to finish it with; I don't recommend a plot summary, I think the game needs a more personal touch than that). Play Second afterwards.
Official Princess Parasol wielder of the Hyrule Warriors board.
My magnum opus: http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/622913-gungnir/faqs/68571
  1. Boards
  2. Bravely Second: End Layer
  3. should I buy this or bravely default?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived