• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Bravely Second: End Layer
  3. Full complete details on sidequests changes, MAJOR PLOT SPOILERS involved.

User Info: Dark_Felix

Dark_Felix
4 years ago#1
You have been warned, this is explaining how the Asterisk sidequests work in full detail, this goes well into major plot spoilers so do not read any further than this point. You have been warned.

FINAL WARNING.

How the Asterisk sidequests worked in the Japanese version is that when you clear them for the first time you get a ending where Edea will question whether or not she made the right choice, the ending you get for siding with that specific Asterisk user will always be the same for the 1st time no matter what, that is the way they designed it.

Now after a major event in the game you're given the option to play all the Asterisk sidequest again so you can pick to join the other side and acquire the Asterisk you didn't get last time, however you're also given the option to pick the same choice again. BUT this time the Edea and crew know ahead of time what will happen, they even say so in the dialogue leading up to the fight, if you pick the same side again you will get a full complete ending where everything works out fine.

As an example, the Red Mage and Thief sidequest. If you choose to fight the Red Mage the 1st time in the Japanese version, the result is the research on somnial energy is scrapped because they can't use the Wellspring Gem and that's that, now if you choose to fight the Red Mage again the 2nd time the results are the research on somnial energy is still scrapped however the extra part is the assistant says that no matter what he'll continue the research no matter what so that the world can have a source of energy in the future.

To summarize, the 1st time you fight you get outcome A and the 2nd time if you choose to fight them again you get outcome C giving closure to the sidequest, if you choose to fight the other Asterisk user you will get their version of outcome A, in this case i'll call it outcome B and the 2nd time if you choose to fight the same user you get Outcome D.

If you fight Asterisk A the 1st time you get outcome A, 2nd time outcome C
If you fight Asterisk A the 1st time you get outcome A, if on the 2nd time you fight the other Asterisk user you get outcome D

If you fight Asterisk B the 1st time you get outcome B, 2nd time outcome D
If you fight Asterisk B the 1st time you get outcome B, if on the 2nd time you fight the other Asterisk user you get outcome C

This mechanic applies to every single Asterisk sidequest in the Japanese version

Now in the english version how do you tell which ending is which?
The most reliable way i found is does Edea say something along the lines of "Did i really make the right decision?"when you beat the Asterisk user the 1st time, if she does then you got the ending that follows the structure of the Japanese version, if Edea is confident and says something along the lines of "i would make this same decision even if i had to do this again." Also the music, if the music is uplifting/inspiring then it's the ending you're supposed to get after you fight the Asterisk users the second time

Links to youtube videos of English and Japanese videos will be posted as i find them, sidequest spoilers involved if you choose to watch it.

Red Mage sidequest
Japanese version, the ending you get when you beat the Red Mage for the 1st time
https://youtu.be/hEUMZYZvYzs?t=10m37s

English version, Here you go straight to the ending you're supposed to get when you beat the Red Mage a 2nd time
https://youtu.be/fnXq83H98Tg?t=55m59s

Blackmage sidequest
Japanese version
https://youtu.be/obbT-ZDP-o4?t=19m27s

English version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xymdr1uhOBc&feature=youtu.be&t=58m14s

Summoner sidequest
Japanese
https://youtu.be/NlbvkuShZm8?t=8m40s

English
https://youtu.be/RqzWkRhpE-Q?t=25m15s

User Info: stephanieisit

stephanieisit
4 years ago#2
Thank you for this. It explains it much clearer now.

Only done 4 of these side stories thus far and she has been "sure" twice Ominas side story and thief. When I chose the summoner and the white mage she seemed very unsure.

Maybe they're trying to point people towards specific endings as the two unsure ones were stories I would've picked the other side for based purely on the story, I just preferred the alternate asterisk.
A she, not a he.
PSN: stephanever

User Info: PostCrisisJ2

PostCrisisJ2
4 years ago#3
Thanks.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/NotebookJ2
Welcome to Idol Hell

User Info: Wandering__Hero

Wandering__Hero
4 years ago#4
Pardon my ignorance, is this really censorship or are they just making the player do less bulls*** to get an ending?

Maybe its in response to complaints about the padding in the first game, rather than just bs
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/

User Info: Kenneth_Writer

Kenneth_Writer
4 years ago#5
Wandering__Hero posted...
Pardon my ignorance, is this really censorship or are they just making the player do less bulls*** to get an ending?

Maybe its in response to complaints about the padding in the first game, rather than just bs

The second time you do the sidequest, it cut out 90% of the fetch quest aspect on the whole, and in many of the cases, you just have 1 or 2 scenes (which play out differently) and then you decide which you want, whereas in the original quest, there's around 20+ minutes of scenes and potentially things like going halfway around the world just to talk to 1 guy, then go back to where the quest started, just to go back to where you were a minute ago just to tell the guy 'Nah man. I side with the other person.'

New way: Hey, I'm going to tell you straight up, I don't agree with you. Sorry.

In those situations, you still need to do the dungeon though if there was one, but you can just turn encounters off if you feel like your party can handle it.
Currently livestreaming - Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth

User Info: Osha

Osha
4 years ago#6
Kenneth_Writer posted...

The second time you do the sidequest, it cut out 90% of the fetch quest aspect on the whole, and in many of the cases, you just have 1 or 2 scenes (which play out differently) and then you decide which you want, whereas in the original quest, there's around 20+ minutes of scenes and potentially things like going halfway around the world just to talk to 1 guy, then go back to where the quest started, just to go back to where you were a minute ago just to tell the guy 'Nah man. I side with the other person.'

In those situations, you still need to do the dungeon though if there was one, but you can just turn encounters off if you feel like your party can handle it.

Yeah, sounds a lot more convenient, if you ask me. Sure, they supposedly cut a specific outcome, but I'll take that over needless padding.
Weh

User Info: birthright31

birthright31
4 years ago#7
Osha posted...
Kenneth_Writer posted...

Yeah, sounds a lot more convenient, if you ask me. Sure, they supposedly cut a specific outcome, but I'll take that over needless padding.

Its not supposedly, they did cut outcomes. Its not nessecary to cut entire chunks of story to make the game more convenient.

stephanieisit
4 years ago#8
^ Disagree. One of BD's biggest complaints was the long and repetitive nature of the second half of the game. So they listened and cut some of that s*** out this time.

f***ers, how dare they listen to fans!!!!
A she, not a he.

User Info: birthright31

birthright31
4 years ago#9
stephanieisit posted...
^ Disagree. One of BD's biggest complaints was the long and repetitive nature of the second half of the game. So they listened and cut some of that s*** out this time.

1. This is a side quest, not main story content. Not only that but there was entirely unique story content for each time you did it. You dont need to cut all that just to fix the repetition.
2. People complained about the GAMEPLAY at that point, not the story. Theres no reason to cut story when you can fix the gameplay alone.

stephanieisit
4 years ago#10
birthright31 posted...
stephanieisit posted...

1. This is a side quest, not main story content. Not only that but there was entirely unique story content for each time you did it. You dont need to cut all that just to fix the repetition.
2. People complained about the GAMEPLAY at that point, not the story. Theres no reason to cut story when you can fix the gameplay alone.

Sorry, we just don't agree. They cut out something irrelevant to the main plot and I will never care, lol.
A she, not a he.
  1. Boards
  2. Bravely Second: End Layer
  3. Full complete details on sidequests changes, MAJOR PLOT SPOILERS involved.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A