• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. No Man's Sky
  3. Icons in Galaxy Map

User Info: Seph1roth5

Seph1roth5
1 month ago#1
Just picked this up a couple weeks ago and am loving it, but I'm definitely having trouble finding out what the bajillion icons are. Google and youtube help a lot but there's always one more lol.

When I'm looking at systems in the galaxy map, there's a blue icon that LOOKS like there's a white shipiside, I think? Reminds me of Great Fox from Starfox anyways. I'm hoping to upgrade my crap free freighter (even though I built a lot inside...gonna be a pain), was thinking maybe that icon meant a freighter for sale is there maybe?

Also is there an indicator for a black hole? I ask the guy on the anomaly to point them out and it'll say something about it when I get to space but it's not super clear.

User Info: Sala-Draca

Sala-Draca
1 month ago#2
The blue ship icon indicates the location of your frigate while it's out on a mission. When you send out your frigates, they actually go to the systems. If you really wanted to, you could probably follow the ship.

As for black holes, once you talk to Polo, he'll give you the coordinates for the nearest one. Hop into your ship and leave the Anomaly once you have the coordinates. You can either warp with your ship or your freighter. Freighter travel is a bit safer, though, so I advise taking longer trips with the freighter. Pull up the Galaxy Map (down on the D-pad). Then make sure that the Current Mission (upper left of the screen) is set to Black Hole. If not, use the indicated controls to select it. A route will be traced from your location to the system with the black hole. All you have to do is follow the waypoints.

User Info: Seph1roth5

Seph1roth5
1 month ago#3
Aaaaah that makes sense, lol I always have a different number of expeditions going so it was super confuzzling.

Why is freighter travel safer btw? No chance of getting ambushed or something? I only have 2 frigate upgrade tokens so I can't upgrade my freighter's hyperdrive yet, so it'll be a while before I do that heh.

Sala-Draca
1 month ago#4
Pirates and fugitives don't attack Traveler (player) freighters and your freighter won't warp you into the middle of a battle. You do still have to be careful when you take your starship out, as pirates will be waiting to scan you.

User Info: kainzow42

kainzow42
1 month ago#5
Sala-Draca posted...
Pirates and fugitives don't attack Traveler (player) freighters and your freighter won't warp you into the middle of a battle. You do still have to be careful when you take your starship out, as pirates will be waiting to scan you.
Not like combat is actually difficult in this game. A good way to get free stuff.

Sala-Draca
1 month ago#6
kainzow42 posted...
Not like combat is actually difficult in this game. A good way to get free stuff.
Well, for me it is. I still haven't finished the Armorer's mission, as I've never played any sort of shooter-type game before.

User Info: ZanderKaboose

ZanderKaboose
3 weeks ago#7
Sala-Draca posted...
Well, for me it is. I still haven't finished the Armorer's mission, as I've never played any sort of shooter-type game before.
This may seem rash, but as long as you have sodium (at the bare minimum) you can cheese the pirate fights. I generally stay in one place and let the pirates come after me. 99% of the time, they will end up flying in a straight line toward you and you can drill them with any weapon. Just refill your shield with the quick menu if you get down past half.
See my opinion is superior because I refuted your statement without actually arguing anything. ~JDM_Jev

Sala-Draca
3 weeks ago#8
I can handle pirates pretty well, it's the Sentinels that I can't fight off. So far, I've just been avoiding them as much as I possibly can.

User Info: EPR-radar

EPR-radar
3 weeks ago#9
Sala-Draca posted...
I can handle pirates pretty well, it's the Sentinels that I can't fight off. So far, I've just been avoiding them as much as I possibly can.
Two thoughts that may be useful on dealing with sentinels.

1) Some planets have salvageable scrap as a buried resource that can be dug up and sold. This is pretty lucrative early in the game. But corrupted sentinels will usually show up when the scrap is harvested. This is a good chance to get accustomed to dealing with sentinels since the corrupted sentinels only show up one at a time and don't get reinforcements. They are a bit tougher than normal sentinel drones, but it's still just one foe.

2) Advanced sentinels (the dog-like ones on 4 legs and especially the walkers) are best dealt with from your space ship. Once you're in flight, aiming ship weapons at ground targets is possible. This is also a way to cheese things like breaking through doors at manufacturing facilities before you have a decent multitool.

User Info: JCE3000GT

JCE3000GT
3 weeks ago#10
The Quad and Walker Sentinels go down pretty easy with an upgraded plasma launcher on your multitool. You can also use an upgraded laser from your Exocraft to deal with the Quads pretty easy. Without the plasma launcher you’ll need your ship like EPR-radar said.
  1. Boards
  2. No Man's Sky
  3. Icons in Galaxy Map
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A