• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Xinoirea

Xinoirea
3 months ago#1
So usual story. Caught my eye, gave it a go. I like it but I usually hate getting into teamplay style games especially when people have been playing awhile. Ill feel like a detriment to any team I'm on now so all I do is grind vs Ai. I'm up about 14000 gold, haven't bought any heroes yet mainly due to there being a lot in the free rotations to mess with.

Now my noob stimpack is gone, grindings not giving me the fun and I want to try some VERY casual non ai games. Any newer players want to hook up sometime or maybe a very patient crew that doesn't mind me bottlefeeding me as I learn how human beings are supposed to play this game? Thanks much.

This is really the only game site I check so if there's other resources to find people, that info would be cool too.
unf

User Info: RJ1771

RJ1771
3 months ago#2
Here's a good way to get ready for real matches if you're concerned about going in and getting roflstomp.

Step 1 Play bot matches using the free rotation to try out bunch of different heroes.
-Considering you're up to 14k gold and have already burned through the freebie booster then it looks like you've already done this.

Step 2: Consider which hero you liked the most/you felt you did the best with.
-By now you should have played with a bunch of different heroes, surely there must be a couple that you really enjoyed the playstyle/feel of. With 14k gold you can go ahead and unlock any hero you want. Depending on the cost, you can likely unlock multiple heroes.

Step 3: Play against the hardest difficulty bot setting (I believe it's Elite).
-While it's certainly not the same as playing against real opponents, the Elite AI actually does make for pretty good practice. You've got to understand the core mechanics and fundamentals of the hero that you're playing in order to succeed. These bots will dodge your skillshots, as well as execute lane rotations and attempt ganks. Again, while it's not the same as playing against humans, it's actually not terribly far off either.

Step 4: Dive into the fire.
-Once you've got a handle on your favorite hero(s) well enough to do well against the Elite AI, all that's left is to cast yourself into the fire and start playing PvP. Quick Match is a real cluster-f***, I'm not going to lie...but at least people don't take it too seriously. Well, not as seriously as Ranked, anyways. From there it's all about just gaining experience and learning as you go.

Here's a good resource for new players to check out:
https://www.icy-veins.com/heroes/

This site does a great job at suggesting general purpose builds that are viable for pretty much any given situation. What's more it doesn't just tell you what talents to take and send you on your way, it breaks down the pros and cons of each talent, explaining why it's good or bad, and how it synergizes with the build overall.

Note that I said general purpose builds. This is because as you get more experienced in the game, you'll want to begin tweaking the builds as necessary. By this I mean utilizing the talent system to it's fullest by altering your build depending on what your enemy's team comp/talents are. Do they have a lot of magic damage? Probably a better idea to drop the armor talent in favor of a spell shield (just as an example). This way you can specialize your champs strengths with the idea of countering the opponent's strengths.

User Info: SpunkySix

SpunkySix
3 months ago#3
RJ's got that s*** down, I second his thing.

Also I just came from the League board and I saw the word 'Brand' which is a champion's name in League so for a split second I was like... wait did I just click the same board again? And I got all confused.
What doth life?

User Info: Xinoirea

Xinoirea
3 months ago#4
Thanks for the advice. Ya you got a pretty good read on me lol. Lvl 70 all trying heroes and getting them up to 5. Feel like I'm getting a decent set, just pulled reghar out of a box a few minutes Ago, tychus and jaina over the last week, nice easy heroes to use. I feel like I'm having the most fun and effect with assassin class, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say that's like 90% of the player base.

I want to be useful and wanted so I'm thinking healer. I hated li li when I tried her so hopefully reghar has a bit more to offer. Of course the downside of healer is that it's like a goalie. Can't win games, only lose them.

My biggest problem is never finding anything to stick with. I'm the guy who's been playing Skyrim since release and never completed the campaign cuz I always think of a new fun class to play.

I'm definitely going to keep plugging away until I find a non assassin that sings to me
unf

User Info: RJ1771

RJ1771
3 months ago#5
Xinoirea posted...
I feel like I'm having the most fun and effect with assassin class, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say that's like 90% of the player base.
Yeah, Assassin is the heavy DPS role and "makes dah big playz", so there's a lot of people that play them. In Quick Match it's not all that uncommon to have two teams with 3-4 assassins each.

I want to be useful and wanted so I'm thinking healer. I hated li li when I tried her so hopefully reghar has a bit more to offer. Of course the downside of healer is that it's like a goalie. Can't win games, only lose them.
The good news is that there's actually two kinds of supports (as I see it, at least) when it comes to healers: Full Supports and Offensive Supports.

Full Supports are supports who do pretty much nothing but heal/provide utility for their team. Lt. Morales is the Queen of this category, as when it comes to single-target healing there's few that can stand up to her. Other Full Supports include Brightwing, Li Li, and Malfurion (there are more, but these are just a couple examples.

Then you have Offensive Supports, supports that might be a little lacking on the healing, but they make up for it with a respectable amount of damage. My favorite in this category is Tassadar. Rather than healing, he slaps a large shield that grants life-steal attacks to the person you put it on. But what's really nice is A: he's got an AoE DoT that does a decent amount of damage, and B: his Trait reveals a large area around him, including stealthed characters. Other Offensive Supports include Tyrande, Rehgar, and Stukov.

Personally I'm more a fan of the "Offensive Supports". While their healing/sustaining of allies isn't as strong as the Full Supports, I really like having some options to do some decent damage to the enemy rather than being devoted to being a pocket healer for someone.

My biggest problem is never finding anything to stick with. I'm the guy who's been playing Skyrim since release and never completed the campaign cuz I always think of a new fun class to play.
Honestly I've only beaten Skyrim twice...but I've put well over 500 hours into it. To be fair, though, that's because the first time I played it was on the 360, but then I finally got a gaming computer and discovered the magic of mods. :^)

Anyways, having diversity in your tastes is actually a very GOOD thing for a game like this. The more heroes you know how to play the better, and the more roles you know how to play the better...even more. I know that's not a real sentence but you know what I mean. :^)

Diversity is the name of this game. Despite my not liking to play them, sometimes playing as Lt. Morales (i.e. full support) is the way to go. Other times I might have to bust out one of my Warrior picks. My favorite roll is Assassin, but even assassin has different categories: Assassin (i.e. melee DPS) and Mage (i.e. ranged DPS). Being flexible is one of the keys to succeeding in this game. If you get into ranked and see that your team already has two assassins, then your team really doesn't need a third. Someone already picked Arthas? Well there's your tank, so you're going support. As such: bouncing around from one hero to the next is NOT a bad thing. The more heroes you know how to use the better.

Like I said, though: if you're worried about feeling like you're an albatros around the necks of your teammates in PvP, then pick a champ and run up against the Elite AI. Keep drilling yourself against them until you feel like you've really got a good idea at how the champ you're using is meant to be played. At that point you're ready to bust onto the PVP scene, and from there all that's left is to learn from experience.
  • Topic Archived