• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Grand Theft Auto Online
  3. FYI. Driving over curbs make you go faster...

User Info: VooDism

VooDism
7 years ago#1
Title says it all.. For those who don't know and wonder why some people just end up going so much faster in races or free roam. This is why.

This has been reported many times to R*. But they seem to just blow it off. This has also caused some friction in race crews as people keep avoiding roads to hit bumps/curbs/sidewalks. There was also a petition to fix this.. which go deleted.

So.. cats out of the bag now. If you didn't know.. Now you do.

Video below shows just how fast you can go..and how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySrvH3NQi1I

Have fun......lol

User Info: 3CDED

3CDED
7 years ago#2
well that video is wrong. it does NOT provide shorter gear ratios.

from what i can tell theres no speed penalty for hitting the curb and for landing form such a small height. the minor airtime is spinning the wheels freely allowing an increase in revs almost like kicking the clutch.

either way it shouldn't work.

VooDism
7 years ago#3
3CDED posted...
well that video is wrong. it does NOT provide shorter gear ratios.

from what i can tell theres no speed penalty for hitting the curb and for landing form such a small height. the minor airtime is spinning the wheels freely allowing an increase in revs almost like kicking the clutch.

either way it shouldn't work.

I don't really care if the video is right or wrong about gear ratios... Thats not my video. I just use it as an example to show the effects.. Personally, i think your explanation for why it happens is better.

But, it clearly shows just how fast a car can go by simply hitting curbs, bumps and sidewalks. Which is why i posted it.

But ya, it shouldn't work. But since it does and R* seems to be blowing it off. Im sure many players would like to know this..

User Info: 3CDED

3CDED
7 years ago#4
VooDism posted...
I don't really care if the video is right or wrong about gear ratios... Thats not my video. I just use it as an example to show the effects..

And it clearly shows just how fast a car can go by simply hitting curbs, bumps and sidewalks.

But ya, it shouldn't work. But since it does and R* seems to be blowing it off. Im sure many players would like to know this..

yeah im just a car guy so it kinda pisses me off when people spout S*** that dumb lol.

it is very interesting. im wondering whether the Zentorno's AWD increases the effectiveness of curb hopping...

VooDism
7 years ago#5
3CDED posted...
VooDism posted...
I don't really care if the video is right or wrong about gear ratios... Thats not my video. I just use it as an example to show the effects..

And it clearly shows just how fast a car can go by simply hitting curbs, bumps and sidewalks.

yeah im just a car guy so it kinda pisses me off when people spout S*** that dumb lol.

it is very interesting. im wondering whether the Zentorno's AWD increases the effectiveness of curb hopping...

The only thing that seems to increase its effectiveness is Off Road tires. Not sure why.... But it does. I don't have a video to prove that. But some of the fastest racers out there that "side walk surf" use off road tires to shave seconds of their lap times.

I think the thickness of the tire helps with the thumping over the curbs.

User Info: bsrandhawa

bsrandhawa
7 years ago#6
It's the first time I've read about this happening. I've personally never "noticed" anyone doing it & I've done almost 900 races - all with random people (probably haven't noticed as I have only just found out about it now) I don't think it's very common, but it should be fixed.

User Info: MrSnoman291

MrSnoman291
7 years ago#7
If that is video is truth, then that is just sad. They're encouraging idiot driving.
Know your enemy until you love them, and then destroy them.
"I do not suffer fools wisely"

User Info: megapwn

megapwn
7 years ago#8
That's kinda dumb and unrealistic. At the same time though, I have a hard time imagining it would impact the outcome of races that much. Basically you're wildly increasing your chance of crashing or spinning out for a speed boost. Doing it safely a couple times would help, but if you do it as much as portrayed in that video over the course of a 3-4 minute race, you're probably going to hit something or just lose control of your car from the constant weight shifting.

VooDism
7 years ago#9
megapwn posted...
That's kinda dumb and unrealistic. At the same time though, I have a hard time imagining it would impact the outcome of races that much. Basically you're wildly increasing your chance of crashing or spinning out for a speed boost. Doing it safely a couple times would help, but if you do it as much as portrayed in that video over the course of a 3-4 minute race, you're probably going to hit something or just lose control of your car from the constant weight shifting.

Some people race every day... They have known about this bug for a while. Hence they have become really good at hot lapping via side walks and curbs.

If you practice this for a few weeks... On every inner city race.. You simply become really good at it. ANyone on the road will no longer have a chance to keep up.

User Info: -Morbid-

-Morbid-
7 years ago#10
MrSnoman291 posted...
If that is video is truth, then that is just sad. They're encouraging idiot driving.

They already encouraged "idiot driving" when they gave us the ability to control our cars mid-air and roll the cars back over onto their wheels and changing to these goofy arcadey driving physics.

This curb jumping thing is stupid but it's unsurprising given the way they fumbled the driving mechanics in this game as a whole.
There is always room for one less.
  1. Boards
  2. Grand Theft Auto Online
  3. FYI. Driving over curbs make you go faster...
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A