• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Kidou Senshi Gundam: Extreme VS Full Boost
  3. And the next unlock is... (thread 15)

User Info: Goraishi

Goraishi
2 years ago#481
ShotgunSamurai posted...
I was also meaning stuff like GN missiles missing the GN particles when they are shot things like this are missing. same with background music when the game is loading up you know the prematch music.

its Alpha build pretty sure we'll get better graphics.

There is a good chance they add in effects like you are talking about (and other things like music). They could redo or adjust the skins, but considering the ground similarly looks plastic, I'm betting that is just how the engine looks. If the plastic feel comes from the engine, it isn't going away.

Furryyiffer posted...
Overheating making you useless outside of blocking for 2 seconds sounds absolutely ridiculous to me as a more casual player

I mean they could balance melee just fine with that system. Applying that to the EXVS games would certainly ruin melee though.

The brutal punishes that casual players are going to take for overheating seems like a larger issue to me. Seems like the learning curve for GVS could be so huge it makes EXVS seem pick up and play friendly.

User Info: Sir-Marth

Sir-Marth
2 years ago#482
http://pastebin.com/dSSEXL3z
dude that wrote this transcription of their powerpoint tl'd it as "unable to move after 2 seconds" though he's not sure exactly what it means either; which is a shame cause it's the one we need to know most. I can't imagine they're gonna do something that'd stop them from putting more red frames in the game and even if they did japan will take care of it as far as feedback goes.

plus exia getting a gerobi proves moriken is on the design staff as if mbon didn't make that clear enough, he won't let them f*** it up.
Kira took too many risks, didn't always know what he was doing and always cried. But he was kind. He was a nice guy!
-Eyewitness accounts-

User Info: Zerowu

Zerowu
2 years ago#483
I actually think the new overheat mechanic can makes the game way more casual. Learning basic boost management is one of the simpler things to learn in the game; knowing when to deliberately overheat is not.

A good player will know when you're about to land, and you counter that by using the last bit of boost to do a fuwa hop, or boosting just a little further away to change the timing of your block to line up with the shot coming. Seems like they're discouraging you from doing that...

Obviously can't air stall anymore through melee to block or CSa to CSb with certain suits, which is pretty useful in certain situations. Destiny can run pretty much forever in exvsfb even without boost with all the moves he has mixing CSa, CSb, BC, blocking.

I'm more curious if you get boost back from blocking successfully in an overheated situation. If you get boost back at least you can still defend yourself in OH against melee by chaining blocks, or counter the other player with a melee or shot after blocking. Then the change won't make a huge deal since it discourages the bad habits of randomly firing when you're overheated which is extremely situational anyways, removes air stalling which is kind of a passive play, and nerfs rainbow war which I was never a big fan of to begin with.

If the boost down mechanic is to compensate for the OH, then that's really lame. So you either regularly land when you're near OH, play super defensive by always landing sooner than when you're close to empty to be unpredictable, or you do the boost down. Pretty limited options.

User Info: ShotgunSamurai

ShotgunSamurai
2 years ago#484
Goraishi posted...
There is a good chance they add in effects like you are talking about (and other things like music)
its probably mid/late alpha so it will change. since its early I still think the graphics could change too. or at least look less plastic-y. Still I really hope they spice up the movesets. from the 2 gameplays we saw most of the units looked like they had most of their MBON tricks with a change or 2. I know its early but I do want it to be different.
Safety Kaijou!

User Info: injuredpelican

injuredpelican
2 years ago#485
I do think the 2 second punish could end up turning away casual players, but I hope I am wrong. GVS has always had a learning curve, but you could also pick it up and play and have fun at lower levels. Completely losing all movement though... if they mad actual ground movement better, I could see it balancing a bit better then, but I could be wrong.
Kaiba: Are you trying to tell me Yugi and I are destined to play card games for all eternity?
Best. Destiny. Ever.

Goraishi
2 years ago#486
Zerowu posted...
I actually think the new overheat mechanic can makes the game way more casual. Learning basic boost management is one of the simpler things to learn in the game; knowing when to deliberately overheat is not.

I see what you are saying, but learning to not overheat a bunch still takes hundreds of online matches. That may not be a lot for us, but it is a lot for someone constantly getting s*** on. Sure, it may level out the learning curve a bit further down because milking for overheat damage won't be a thing. A new player would have to get that far, and with that change anybody at all that can manage boost will continuously dunk new players learning it. I mean vet players will already do that, but you're adding in this extra tier of players who will now also destroy them despite not being that great.

ShotgunSamurai posted...
its probably mid/late alpha so it will change. since its early I still think the graphics could change too. or at least look less plastic-y. Still I really hope they spice up the movesets. from the 2 gameplays we saw most of the units looked like they had most of their MBON tricks with a change or 2. I know its early but I do want it to be different.

Even at early alpha, I seriously doubt there will be a massive engine overhaul. I think those movesets will be fairly close to final too. I mean they do need to work on a lot of new suits, and the suit design team spending time on redoing suits means they aren't spending it on a larger roster of suits. If they actually took the time to animate those moves and everything in a new engine, there is a pretty good chance they were at least intended to stay (though obviously stuff gets changed in development all the time so there are bound to be exceptions).

ShotgunSamurai
2 years ago#487
Goraishi posted...
I think those movesets will be fairly close to final too.
Hope not. can't say I want cut and paste MBON movesets on the next gen game. yeah it'd be easier but kinda sad to think they could have just ported MB to save them all the hassle of a whole new game if thats the route they're going to go.

the core gameplay system changes are the meat of GVS so obviously it'll feel different than EXVS. Since I haven't played MBON it won't be a huge deal with repeats but can't say I like the idea.
Safety Kaijou!

Goraishi
2 years ago#488
Does melee travel distance seem to be a lot longer to anyone else? Or maybe it is just RX-78's jump.

ShotgunSamurai posted...
Hope not. can't say I want cut and paste MBON movesets on the next gen game.

That isn't my preference either. Hopefully not all returning MBOn suits are that way... or at least FB suits. Having not played MBOn, those suits are still new for me.

ShotgunSamurai
2 years ago#489
Goraishi posted...
Hopefully not all returning MBOn suits are that way... or at least FB suits. Having not played MBOn, those suits are still new for me.
agreed on MBON since we haven't played it but Think about the guys that can just go to the arcades to play MBON. seems weird to me to make a new gen to use old assets but since its alpha build things could change. but cut and paste is a double edged sword, gameplay styles I liked in EXVS may stay but same goes with gameplays I don't like.

I just wants an all new game
Safety Kaijou!

User Info: Rainforce

Rainforce
2 years ago#490
ShotgunSamurai posted...
I just wants an all new game

reusing assets is pretty much the only way to profit these days
  1. Boards
  2. Kidou Senshi Gundam: Extreme VS Full Boost
  3. And the next unlock is... (thread 15)
  • Topic Archived