• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Kidou Senshi Gundam: Extreme VS Full Boost
  3. And the next unlock is... (thread 15)

User Info: ShotgunSamurai

ShotgunSamurai
2 years ago#31
Goraishi posted...
but as someone who has played older games where you can actually lose parts of your moveset from getting hit in the wrong spot too much, I am very much not a fan of that.
Ah good old ZvsG, getting your arm blown off as you're trying to fight off 3 ace pilots in space where you can't aim for s***. good times

Goraishi posted...
Because they're trying to generate a lot of hype off of the initial announcement?
seems pointless to generate hype for something that won't be around for an unspecified amount of time. Lots of games are doing the demo/alpha/beta thing these days. its a much better way to draw hype in. but I don't see how a close Alpha demo would make anyone excited, its not like we'll get gameplay or pictures. we'll just get some comments from japan twitter posts and we have to guess which are legit and which are lies.

Goraishi posted...
Far too many people have a serious problem telling if something is actually strong or if they are just bad. Using a public beta for balancing feedback.
While I agree to an extent it doesn't sound like a bad plan, I mean look at Overwatch, I see people throwing the fits for nerfs on all characters when they're just solid but there is still points to be made, if everyone is complaining that Barbatos' reach with his mace is too good and does too much damage they may need to take a look at it. But I doubt Gvs will be a huge competitive game like Overwatch. still they need to buff/nerf with units, you see all sorts of complaints with MBON and needing to nerf certain units, people were butt blasted that Nightengale was OP, took them a little while but they eventually nerfed him.
Safety Kaijou!

User Info: Goraishi

Goraishi
2 years ago#32
ShotgunSamurai posted...
seems pointless to generate hype for something that won't be around for an unspecified amount of time.

So its pointless to show trailers for games that are far off? I mean for all I know, you could be right. But in that case, boy have all these companies been wasting time and money.

ShotgunSamurai posted...
but I don't see how a close Alpha demo would make anyone excited, its not like we'll get gameplay or pictures. we'll just get some comments from japan twitter posts and we have to guess which are legit and which are lies.

There might be press there, and even if there are no new pictures or gameplay, we could end up with reliable information.

ShotgunSamurai posted...
While I agree to an extent it doesn't sound like a bad plan, I mean look at Overwatch, I see people throwing the fits for nerfs on all characters when they're just solid but there is still points to be made, if everyone is complaining that Barbatos' reach with his mace is too good and does too much damage they may need to take a look at it. But I doubt Gvs will be a huge competitive game like Overwatch. still they need to buff/nerf with units, you see all sorts of complaints with MBON and needing to nerf certain units, people were butt blasted that Nightengale was OP, took them a little while but they eventually nerfed him.

One of the exact games I was thinking of. You realize that a lot of the nerfs, especially for the consoles, are specifically because casuals are bad right?

Even if you want to argue that they should look beyond high end play for balance adjustments (which I don't really agree with), taking pointers from the general community is a bad way to do it. They are way better off just looking at numbers and data for the whole community than listening to pointers from people in the community who far too often have no clue what they're talking about.

You pointed to nightingale, but did they need pointers from the community? It was clearly over rep'd in high level play. They have win rate data showing it was doing too well in regular play. Pointers from the top end players, sure. That is like getting the opinion of an expert consultant. Getting pointers from the 'community' is like that pointer someone gave back in vanilla EXVS to counter Quant with gold sumo.

ShotgunSamurai
2 years ago#33
Goraishi posted...
So its pointless to show trailers for games that are far off?
really dude you're gonna say that? You're just being difficult saying that and yeah its pointless to release stuff way to early hence the "hype" part of the comment, it seriously kills hype when it takes years to learn about more content. lets look at Mass Effect Andromeda and Kingdom Hearts 3. they announced those waaay to early and we had to sit with a thumbs up our rears for years till we got more info. lots of my hype for these games were dead for literal years, only recently has MEA and KH got my hype up. (and its for KH2.8 not KH3 still nothing on 3.... ;_;)

Goraishi posted...
we could end up with reliable information.
Kind of the point of an alpha play test

Goraishi posted...
You realize that a lot of the nerfs, especially for the consoles, are specifically because casuals are bad right?
yes very much so hence my Overwatch comment. poor torb got nerfed on console because noobs can't counter his turret.

Goraishi posted...
You pointed to nightingale, but did they need pointers from the community?
maybe I don't know how EXVS handles community communication.

Goraishi posted...
They are way better off just looking at numbers and data for the whole community than listening to pointers from people in the community
and where do you think they look, you think they sit down in aboard room and say "alright which character is OP and lets fix it cause the data says he has a 53% winrate lets do a nerf"? I'm pretty sure that data is looked at too but its not the be all end all info. just because a unit does well doesn't mean it warrants a nerf.

they have to look at community comments at some point to see if there is an actual problem first. For example with Overwatch I hate Roadhog and his hook, I think they should nerf it but that would kill roadhog since many of his kills come with combo-ing that with that hook. the devs can look at that comment and go yes its an important part of his tool kit but maybe it reloads too quickly lets nerf the cool down time a second but leave everything else untouched. (I doubt they'd nerf roadhog, I hear is meh tier thats just an example.)

I'm not saying they should always listen to the community they're idiots more times than not but if the complaint is loud enough and large enough they should at least look into it.
Safety Kaijou!

Goraishi
2 years ago#34
ShotgunSamurai posted...
You're just being difficult saying that and yeah its pointless to release stuff way to early hence the "hype" part of the comment

Trailers for games that far out are there for hype though. That is the point. A lot of trailers first come out before a specified release date. Maybe you're right about it being pointless, but then all of these huge marketing departments are doing it wrong.

ShotgunSamurai posted...
it seriously kills hype when it takes years to learn about more content.

Which is why it makes sense for them to keep stringing along more, and that was what I said originally. Sure, constant development delays are going to make it hard to maintain.

ShotgunSamurai posted...
Kind of the point of an alpha play test

You literally just said how we are going to just get a bunch of unreliable information that we have to guess what is true and thus shouldn't really make people excited. How can you say that, and then now say giving us reliable information is the point of an alpha test?

ShotgunSamurai posted...
yes very much so hence my Overwatch comment. poor torb got nerfed on console because noobs can't counter his turret.

So are you agreeing that balancing based on opinions of people that don't know what they're doing is bad?

ShotgunSamurai posted...
they have to look at community comments at some point to see if there is an actual problem first

No, they don't. Vocal complaints made by a community aren't an indication of either an actual problem or a consensus of the community as a whole. They absolutely don't have to look at that. They could easily just listen to tournament level players and internal data. I'm not saying they don't look at community comments at all, but they don't have to nor should they.

ShotgunSamurai
2 years ago#35
Goraishi posted...
Which is why it makes sense for them to keep stringing along more
then you and I will have to agree to disagree cause I think the exact opposite.

Goraishi posted...
You literally just said how we are going to just get a bunch of unreliable information that we have to guess what is true and thus shouldn't really make people excited. How can you say that, and then now say giving us reliable information is the point of an alpha test?
I said theres no point in hyping up a alpha play test since there will be no gameplay or pictures and there will be unreliable info littered about as well. only when official channels/websites are invited do we know its true info. I was hyped reading up on MBON beta comments on twitter/2chan. lots were BS but it was still fun to read. that said it still not good to get people excited over false info.

the point of alpha testing is for us to get to know what we're in for. to tell us how the game will handle, having false info with this new title will be really crappy.
Goraishi posted...
So are you agreeing that balancing based on opinions of people that don't know what they're doing is bad?
in my last comment. I said that "I'm not saying they should always listen to the community they're idiots more times than not" but they have to at least keep up some sort of public relation.

Goraishi posted...
They could easily just listen to tournament level players
tournament players only use top tier units in games like these. Why listen to them when all of them only play a handful of the units? (yeah their good at the game doesn't mean they know anything about nerf/buffing) what about the low tier stuff? they'll be forever neglected doing that, just look at MBON. hearing out a much large player base won't be the end all either since opinions can be so different with huge pools of "data". Looking at the win/lose/pick rates of units from the devs side is easily the best course of action to take but they still need to look out for the general opinion as well. they may miss something that someone else points out.
Safety Kaijou!

Goraishi
2 years ago#36
ShotgunSamurai posted...
then you and I will have to agree to disagree cause I think the exact opposite.

You seem to play overwatch so do you really not think how blizzard kept feeding tid bits over a long period had absolutely no benefit to the amount of hype the game had at release? Trailers, press sneak peaks, dev tweets, etc don't make sense because hyping games far off doesn't make sense? Really? Do you know something that all of the people who do that for a living don't?

ShotgunSamurai posted...
tournament players only use top tier units in games like these. Why listen to them when all of them only play a handful of the units?

Just because people play top tier units competitively doesn't mean they don't play or know about the other units.

User Info: cx6998

cx6998
2 years ago#37
gamestop27 posted...
cx6998 posted...
gamestop27 posted...
Does the producer of this series have a twitter account or something? I wanna ask him if they ever plan on porting MBON or not before I curse him out.

The answer is already no. Deal with it.

Shut up b****, either drop the twitter handle or keep it movin'.

I understand telling me to shut up. What does the latter mean?

But yeah, keep it moving. Complaining won't change their decision, am I right?
Peace cannot be achieved by force, it can only be achieved by understanding
-Albert Einstein

ShotgunSamurai
2 years ago#38
Goraishi posted...
You seem to play overwatch so do you really not think how blizzard kept feeding tid bits over a long period had absolutely no benefit to the amount of hype the game had at release? Trailers, press sneak peaks, dev tweets, etc don't make sense because hyping games far off doesn't make sense?
Overwatch is best case with how to hype a game up over a long course of time. as you said they did tid bids, little previews, character videos, large play betas, they talked a great deal with the community, and so on. Not every game series does this. Like i said with MEA and KH3 these two huge games kept us in the dark for years with little communication with their community. if GVS can do half heck 10% of what Overwatch did with them hyping up their game I'll gladly eat crow but treating overwatch as the standard MO for long wait hype makers thats a completely different situation.

games have been getting better with timing and hyping games correctly so hopefully GVS will follow suit. I still stand by saying that nothing is more of a hype killer than a too soon announced game with little to no info about till months before release. that doesn't keep my interest those months/years it does nothing.
Safety Kaijou!

User Info: PK Man

PK Man
2 years ago#39
https://www.twitch.tv/iispo_official
some mbon tourney
{o_X}Q=(-_-Q)

User Info: Killarock404

Killarock404
2 years ago#40
You have to understand, some games don't need to be hyped up by the developers because the name alone will sell the game. Most of nintendo's first party titles are a testament to this. People will buy the game no matter how bad it is.

Also if they are taking about alpha testing, then we shouldn't expect the game no sooner than a year. Alpha testing is to work out the major bugs and problems, so I wouldn't expect news to come out of it. I wouldn't be surprised if they did an open/closed beta though later on next year though. If this game has a roster as big as EXVSMBon and it's supposed to have a larger online, then I'm certain we will get one.
  1. Boards
  2. Kidou Senshi Gundam: Extreme VS Full Boost
  3. And the next unlock is... (thread 15)
  • Topic Archived