• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair
  3. after much playing of EDF 5, I can safely say that 4.1 is definitively better

User Info: shyahone

shyahone
1 year ago#1
Fencer got a really good deal with 5, but at the cost of weapon variety for all classes, wing diver being destroyed with weapon playstyle changes, worse character designs, less fun enemy designs, and worse story presentation.

dash for rangers is kinda hit or miss, as its not really all that useful outside of grabbing boxes since none of the maps really require all that much travel in the first place.

wing diver cores are pointless as you will always just use the highest level core you have. There is no reason to sacrifice 30-100 energy for 10% faster forward flight or 20% faster weapon charges.

air raider pretty much neutral, loss of vehicles upfront for generally faster credit charges all around.

but the game itself is less fun and interesting. pylons dont spawn as many enemies as quickly as burrows, cosmonauts are just anti-fun in general because their armor makes lots of weapons almost completely ineffective even further reducing your actually usable arsenal. Lots of missions where enemy placement requires you to use certain long range weapons exclusively, introducing erginus just to throw it away and replace it with a generic dinosaur creature with no explanation as to where it came from or why its there in the first place.

finally, the story is a lot of tell but dont show. All throughout the game the chatter complains about woe is us we are so badly outnumbered and outgunned with no chance of survival. all the while you are a single man taking on literal armies of giant monsters, aliens, and war machines alone and winning. one of these things is not like the other.

User Info: Viper187666

Viper187666
1 year ago#2
Shut the f*** up. EDF5 is much better than 4.1. AR is beast, and the other classes are improved. If you don't like the new WD, you just don't know how to use her. She's incredibly powerful. The missions that are rehashes of previous games are much improved this time around. s*** like Thunder on 4.1 was f***ing terrible. It's fun on 5. Same with Battle of the Giants. Den of Thieves is amazing now. etc. The WD cores have their purpose. Ranger's perks are great. Sprint can be more useful than you realize. The weapons from the DLC mission packs are insanely fun. f*** the story. Why do people get hung up on the f***ing story in games like this? Aliens are invading. f***ing kill them. That simple.
My command center: http://viper.shadowflareindustries.com/images/myroom/desk10132018a.jpg
http://viper.shadowflareindustries.com/images/myroom/desk10132018b.jpg

User Info: TurboGamera

TurboGamera
1 year ago#3
Viper187666 posted...
Shut the f*** up.

Stopped reading there. Honestly, are you getting paid for being the local angry idiot or do you just do this lousy act for sport?

User Info: shyahone

shyahone
1 year ago#4
Viper187666 posted...
Shut the f*** up. EDF5 is much better than 4.1. AR is beast, and the other classes are improved. If you don't like the new WD, you just don't know how to use her. She's incredibly powerful. The missions that are rehashes of previous games are much improved this time around. s*** like Thunder on 4.1 was f***ing terrible. It's fun on 5. Same with Battle of the Giants. Den of Thieves is amazing now. etc. The WD cores have their purpose. Ranger's perks are great. Sprint can be more useful than you realize. The weapons from the DLC mission packs are insanely fun. f*** the story. Why do people get hung up on the f***ing story in games like this? Aliens are invading. f***ing kill them. That simple.

skub. not skub.

User Info: chethecat

chethecat
1 year ago#5
I have to disagree with the OP.

EDF5 is to me the best of the franchise. I have and continue to enjoy it. While there were definitely times in 4.1 where I was just going through it and feeling like it was a drag.

I've enjoyed my time with the Ranger. I am loving the WD, though still getting used to some of the changes, but she still plays phenomenally well. I actually have had fun as the Air Raider. I know others did in 4.1 but I never did. I was never much for the Fencer either but am looking forward to getting more into it.

For me, EDF5 is the best one since 2017.

~Cheshire~
  1. Boards
  2. Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair
  3. after much playing of EDF 5, I can safely say that 4.1 is definitively better
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A