• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition
  3. Did Minecraft take a colossal step back?

User Info: Katsuro

Katsuro
1 month ago#1
Having upgraded from the XBox360 to a ps4pro, I decided to get Minecraft. What I see is a colossal lack of options that were on the 360 such as classic crafting, autosave, hide hands while having the map shown, superflat biome selector, etc. Hell, even exiting and not saving a world you don't like was a thing.

Why on earth were some features totally left out that were present in older versions?

User Info: Craxin01

Craxin01
1 month ago#2
The console edition from the PS3\Xbox 360 era were MUCH smaller than even the original PS4 and Xbox One editions. Saving after a few hours of play wouldn't take that much time. The PS4 and Xbox One editions were 5120×5120 (PS3 and Xbox 360 were 864x864) which is still not going to overtax the system saving a large map all at once.

Bedrock is like Java in that there isn't a limit to the world size. If you went to x2560 z2560 on Bedrock, you aren't going to see a massive ocean and hit an invisible wall. You'll see more world generation. Autosaving allows the game to be saved in bite-sized chunks which is less taxing on the processor. Yeah, it sucks when you make a mistake, but if you're THAT worried about such things, make a back-up before doing anything risky, and if it doesn't pan out, delete the original and use the back-up.

I also miss the superflat biome selector, but it's not totally gone. Go into the old version, create a custom superflat, save, then import it to Bedrock, voila, you have that superflat to work with using current updates.

Classic crafting is replaced with a better system. On classic, you'd have to hold down the button to spit out one recipe at a time, on bedrock you can craft a whole stack at once.

It takes an adjustment, that's for sure, but I think you'll find Bedrock is pretty good.

Katsuro
4 weeks ago#3
Craxin01 posted...
The console edition from the PS3\Xbox 360 era were MUCH smaller than even the original PS4 and Xbox One editions. Saving after a few hours of play wouldn't take that much time. The PS4 and Xbox One editions were 5120×5120 (PS3 and Xbox 360 were 864x864) which is still not going to overtax the system saving a large map all at once.

Bedrock is like Java in that there isn't a limit to the world size. If you went to x2560 z2560 on Bedrock, you aren't going to see a massive ocean and hit an invisible wall. You'll see more world generation. Autosaving allows the game to be saved in bite-sized chunks which is less taxing on the processor. Yeah, it sucks when you make a mistake, but if you're THAT worried about such things, make a back-up before doing anything risky, and if it doesn't pan out, delete the original and use the back-up.

I also miss the superflat biome selector, but it's not totally gone. Go into the old version, create a custom superflat, save, then import it to Bedrock, voila, you have that superflat to work with using current updates.

Classic crafting is replaced with a better system. On classic, you'd have to hold down the button to spit out one recipe at a time, on bedrock you can craft a whole stack at once.

It takes an adjustment, that's for sure, but I think you'll find Bedrock is pretty good.
It is taking some time to get used to some aspects. While not a huge fan of the crafting yet, it's starting to be a little less annoying lol. I did pick up the Chromahills texpack, really like that one as it's probably the closest to the Conquest/John Smith I always see on YouTube.

Craxin01
4 weeks ago#4
Katsuro posted...
It is taking some time to get used to some aspects. While not a huge fan of the crafting yet, it's starting to be a little less annoying lol. I did pick up the Chromahills texpack, really like that one as it's probably the closest to the Conquest/John Smith I always see on YouTube.

Cheers, hope you get used to thinks sooner rather than later.

User Info: Morpheus Lyric

Morpheus Lyric
4 weeks ago#5
I'm so sick of all the whining.

Katsuro
4 weeks ago#6
Morpheus Lyric posted...
I'm so sick of all the whining.
Cool, want a cookie?

User Info: Morpheus Lyric

Morpheus Lyric
4 weeks ago#7
Katsuro posted...
Cool, want a cookie?
It's been a year. Get over it.

Craxin01
4 weeks ago#8
Katsuro posted...
Cool, want a cookie?
Never feed the trolls.
  1. Boards
  2. Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition
  3. Did Minecraft take a colossal step back?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A