• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. Need help customizing controller for white mage setup
Ragtag28 1 month ago#1
I was hoping you guys help me setup my controller to use effectively for white mage. I just recently came back after being gone for 6 years. What is a good setup that you guys find useful/effective?
My friend code is: 2842-5212-7233
LF: Laptop, wall mounted tv(black) wide screen t.v. 60 in(black) box corner sofa set(white)
CoolGreen745 1 month ago#2
Everyone's play style is different as when I was starting out playing White Mage I played the same dungeon three times in a row and each of the players gave me different advice and tips, two of them complete opposites of one another. But this is the one I found most effective for me once you hit higher levels. It may work for you or it may not.

I generally put the actions I use the most on my first hotbar and the ones I use a lesser amount on my second. For some jobs I use so many buttons I switch through them a lot, but for White Mage I try to keep it simpler as a took my eyes of the health of a player for five seconds and they died.

On my primary hotbar, I put all my healing spells on one side and offensive spells and buffs on the other. I'm currently on level 77 and the spells I have on the right side of my primary hotbar are Cure, Cure II, Esuna, Asylum, Medica II, Benediction, Attatus Solaras, and Attatus Rapture. The buttons I have on my left side are Dia, Glare, Holy, Assize, Attatus Misery, Lucid Dreaming, Thin Air, and Temperance (Level 80 spell I haven't actually gotten yet but I put it there because I reorganized my hotbars after hitting 76 and decided to add it then.)

I also put Swiftcast and Raise next to one another on my second bar. (I think some people prefer to use Macros, but I don't). Make sure not to put Swiftcast on your primary as I sometimes hit it by accident and then when I needed to raise someone in a hurry it wasn't available. I did a lot better once it was on my second bar. Again this is just what I found works best for me, everyone has different playstyles so this may help you and it may not.
Ragtag28 1 month ago#3
CoolGreen745 posted...
Everyone's play style is different as when I was starting out playing White Mage I played the same dungeon three times in a row and each of the players gave me different advice and tips, two of them complete opposites of one another. But this is the one I found most effective for me once you hit higher levels. It may work for you or it may not.

I generally put the actions I use the most on my first hotbar and the ones I use a lesser amount on my second. For some jobs I use so many buttons I switch through them a lot, but for White Mage I try to keep it simpler as a took my eyes of the health of a player for five seconds and they died.

On my primary hotbar, I put all my healing spells on one side and offensive spells and buffs on the other. I'm currently on level 77 and the spells I have on the right side of my primary hotbar are Cure, Cure II, Esuna, Asylum, Medica II, Benediction, Attatus Solaras, and Attatus Rapture. The buttons I have on my left side are Dia, Glare, Holy, Assize, Attatus Misery, Lucid Dreaming, Thin Air, and Temperance (Level 80 spell I haven't actually gotten yet but I put it there because I reorganized my hotbars after hitting 76 and decided to add it then.)

I also put Swiftcast and Raise next to one another on my second bar. (I think some people prefer to use Macros, but I don't). Make sure not to put Swiftcast on your primary as I sometimes hit it by accident and then when I needed to raise someone in a hurry it wasn't available. I did a lot better once it was on my second bar. Again this is just what I found works best for me, everyone has different playstyles so this may help you and it may not.
Thank u its very informative. How do u prefer to set up your hud layout?
My friend code is: 2842-5212-7233
LF: Laptop, wall mounted tv(black) wide screen t.v. 60 in(black) box corner sofa set(white)
onoturtle 1 month ago#4
I do something similar to CoolGreen by putting all the high frequency (low recast time) stuff on the primary crossbar, though I use left side for healing/support and right side for offensive. In general, I put GCD stuff or abilities you may need to do on the move on the face buttons since I find it awkward to hit the d-pad with my right-hand.

You can also enable "expanded crossbar". This lets you activate a secondary crossbars by tapping and then holding L2 or R2 (you adjust the specifics in the settings), giving you quick access to two additional crossbars. These I put the less frequently pushed abilities (situational or high recast time). This is where I have my Lucid, Thin Air, Temperance, etc. There is also additional half crossbars you can access by pushing L2+R2 together. You get two of these (holding L2 first and then R2, and vice versa) but I think I mapped the abilities the same on both to not confuse myself.

I also like to add one keyboard hotbar. Not to actually use, but just to display big buttons for skills that have cooldowns I like to easily track and may get lost in the ton of icons in the main crossbars. Particularly the L2+R2 crossbars since those icons are invisible until you hold the buttons.

I do move the party list closer to the center since that's usually where my attention is, but other than that I haven't tinkered with the HUD much.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  3. Need help customizing controller for white mage setup
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A