• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Kingdom Hearts III
  3. I... I am sorely disappointed

User Info: Andrex_93

Andrex_93
4 weeks ago#1
I'm sorry, I'm trying yo get a sense of the reception of the game from this Board, but I just finished the game today (couldn't play it as soon as I got it, which was on release, and kind of wanted to savor it after that, so..) and I don't really know where to.. I also just kind of need to vent. This isn't really like me (creating a topic to specifically talk about my opinion, especially when I'm not really a regular, here), but..

If you're reading this, you may not remember me, but I'm a user who has lurked here a lot and has posted here in a bunch of occasions, although I guess you couldn't really consider me a regular. Either way, I don't know if you really care about this but, again, I just need to vent; hopefully you won't see this as trolling.

I am really disappointed; like, extremely disappointed. I don't think I could have imagined such a bad scenario even if I tried. But let me first say, I am a big fan of this series: while I don't think every game is good, and I am unfortunately yet to actually play my own copies of DDD and 0.2 with my own hands (but I know what happens in them), I am a fan, don't be mistaken.

I personally think the story was at its best in KH1, and then got worse from a story-telling and theme perspective, in Re:Chain and especially in 2; but I still enjoyed it to bits; Organization XIII (the original one) is still, to this day, probably my favorite villainous group ever. While the story and the gameplay went downhill from there, IMO, I still enjoyed my time with the series (well, I have a feeling I won't enjoy DDD, but that's a different matter, now).

This game.. Made quite a few things that pleased me, so maybe I feel it's better to start off with those, kind of to show that my intentions aren't, again, trolling, but a genuine fan who is genuinely disappointed:
- Water Magic is finally fully here, and I love it;
- the character interactions throughout gameplay are simple but effective, and I definitely like this trend modern games have;
- while on that subject, (almost) no speech-bubbles with fish-faces; hurrah!
- Leveling Keyblades was something I felt should be in the games ever since.. I think ever since I played the first game, tbh; so I definitely like that;
- graphically, this game looks amazing in almost every regard;
- while I was never a fan of open-world and sanbox-style games, I do feel like these Worlds feel more alive also because of their size.. Sometimes (I'll get to that later, I guess);
- I appreciated that, while there is more than one fight with the final Boss, they didn't really go for any of the absurd forms like in most of the past games..
- there were a lot of nice scenes, both in the Disney Worlds and among the original cast; I especially liked the one when Sora is essentially brought back to life by Kairi: it was small, simple, but effective. Of course, I don't like the plot-implications tied to that, but I really enjoyed the scene itself.
- Lucky Emblems are great!
- I mostly loved The Caribbean aside from a few grievances with it, plot and progression-wise; I loved the underwater, and the ship sections reminded me of Sly 3.

I'm sure there's more and, if it jumps to mind, I'll edit this as long as I can do it.
"Actors are agents of change. A film, a piece of theater, a piece of music, or a book can make a difference. It can change the world." - Alan Rickman

Andrex_93
4 weeks ago#2
Now the negatives.. I just wanna start by saying that, while I was absolutely anticipating this game, I don't think any of the "it's impossible to live up to 13 years of anticipation" etc. arguments are gonna hold any water, here, as I'm not one of those who discards the handheld games, nor one who is so deep into the lore and the series that I passed every day to imagine how it would end; I was just waiting to see it, but my expectations were quite low going in, tbh, and I think that is why this was all so crushing, for me.

I'm not gonna list in a specific order, just.. Everything that comes to mind, really; small or big that it might be. I also think I'm gonna try to go easy on the gameplay stuff, because I knew that it was never gonna reach KH2 levels, so..

1) the whole final section felt like bad fanfiction: look, I know Nomura is a game developer and not a story teller, but... It all felt rushed and really out a bad fanfiction, not something that was carefully planned out; there are things that are missing, things that could be inferred but are not delivered well at all, and essentially every Villain gets a.. I don't think "redemption" is the right word, but basically none of them have the balls to stay bad through the end; now, I'm not saying that being a villain for the sake of it is better than having an actual motivation, but trying to """redeem""" Ansem SoD, Xemnas and, heck, almost even Vanitas.. And, of course, I was able to see glimpses of the criticism thrown towards Xehanort and how his character was concluded. I am disappointed in that too (all that meticulous and unscrupulous planning, and that's all that is needed to make you surrender? I really feel like they should have handled his end differently).

2) Sora is becoming less and less of a character as time goes on and more and more of a shonen-y stereotype, although I understand this problem isn't exclusive to KH3; heck, it started with KH2, I'd say; I just felt it much more, here, considering it's supposed to be the conclusion of the saga, I guess.

3) I guess sort of tied to the previous point in a very tangential way: having Statuses is I feel a pretty good way to add another level to the gameplay, even if a pretty superficial one and honestly at times problematic, balance-wise.. This is tied to the previous point because I absolutely hated the butt-burn animation/aspect: I'm not for that kind of slapstick humor, and I was really glad that KH, for essentially the entirety of its lifespan, was able to avoid that kind of s***, which Disney uses quite often in other products. I at least would have liked it to be gender-neutral (usually this kind of slapstick, or any slapstick, really, is applied to males almost exclusively), but, really, I'd rather it not to be there: it makes it so much harder to take Sora seriously, because now it even looks and acts more like a bad cartoon character. From a gameplay perspective, it is awful because it does essentially the same thing as Freeze or Sneeze (blocking you from making actions), but keeps you moving frantically and keeps damaging you (they should have just applied the latter effect, to differentiate Burn from the other Statuses), and, worse of all, enemies can still damage you. Truly awful in every regard.

4) Kairi was sidelined so much; I somewhat expected this, but I guess not to this degree.

5) Gameplay is arguably even more of a button-mash than other KH games were accused of being: this is especially noticeable when you compare Links to every other option, because they're the only ones that are balanced in theory but unarguably useless in the context of the game.

6) Not enough variety in the enemies; I especially felt disappointed that there were only 5 Unversed, one of which a Boss and the other a re-skin of another Unversed.

7) From what I've seen and experienced so far, not enough post-game content, although side-content also kind of counts with this.
"Actors are agents of change. A film, a piece of theater, a piece of music, or a book can make a difference. It can change the world." - Alan Rickman

Andrex_93
4 weeks ago#3
8) Cutscene and VA quality are quite inconsistent, to say the least; especially in the beginning of the game I remember being quite baffled.

9) The size and scope of the Worlds was not always a positive, and arguably does more bad than good, sometimes. I was especially disappointed in Toy Box.

10) Kind of tied to point 5.. The game was extremely easy (played on Proud).

Sorry.. Again, I know most of you, if not all, probably won't care; I'm just a fan of this series that has stuck with it even though the direction that was taken was not of my liking, and I'm just now in need to vent, still having to "re-calibrate" and not yet having experienced feedback on the game from others.

User Info: MasterLink2012

MasterLink2012
4 weeks ago#4
I.. I can't read that.. It's too damn long..

Andrex_93
4 weeks ago#5
MasterLink2012 posted...
I.. I can't read that.. It's too damn long..

I understand that. Again, I'm just venting.. I tried diving it by points, so I guess that might help, but GameFAQs doesn't let me space stuff how I want, sometimes.

User Info: dirtydave90

dirtydave90
4 weeks ago#6
I agree with most of what you said honestly. I dont think it's a matter of expecting too much either, since I never really expected the story to be all that well done going into it. Yet still it felt disappointing. Oh well. I think when critical mode comes out in dlcs or something it will least add some challenge and replayability to the gameplay. Thats... something.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you are Jon Snow." -Gandalf

User Info: WizardHazard

WizardHazard
4 weeks ago#7
-Original worlds are pathetically small which makes the game feel small.
-Disney Worlds are too big, it would've been better to have more of them even it means they're smaller.
-No Disney Bosses sucks.
-No Cup/FF boss fight sucks.
-Secret boss is bland.
-The game is way too easy, I can't even tell you the mechanics of the endgame bosses as I didn't need to dodge or block anything to kill them.

User Info: Wynvkius

Wynvkius
4 weeks ago#8
Try a level 1 play through and all of the gameplay issues you brought up will be moot. You’re probably thinking that you shouldn’t have to do a restrictive challenge run in order to enjoy the game but if I’m being honest level 1 doesn’t feel very restrictive since every movement skill you learn is learned via story (as are most hp increases) and other skills can be accessed through accessories and Keyblades. It’s harder to utilize those skills but you still have access to them and limited availability of them means blind button mashing is no longer an option. Really makes the gameplay a lot deeper and a lot more fun without making the game oppressively difficult.

User Info: Moongeist

Moongeist
4 weeks ago#9
Yeah, I can understand. On the whole, I enjoyed it (although I did have some complaints throughout the game), it wasn't until the last few hours that I really got unhappy with it, but I can definitely see where you're coming from with a lot of these criticisms. After beating it I had to take a step back for a few days just to process how I felt about this game and my thoughts are that I can't begrudge the entire game for the last few hours, and overall I still really enjoyed it, just not the end.

I also know a lot of my issues were things not matching my expectations, which is on me. I think if I play through again (maybe after they add Critical and possibly other DLC), I can just play it for what it is and not what I was hoping it would be. Not that your complaints aren't valid, but I know I'll personally be able to judge it a bit better when I'm less overhyped and emotionally invested :p
/**T**\
\ ' ^ ' /

Andrex_93
4 weeks ago#10
dirtydave90 posted...
I agree with most of what you said honestly. I dont think it's a matter of expecting too much either, since I never really expected the story to be all that well done going into it. Yet still it felt disappointing. Oh well. I think when critical mode comes out in dlcs or something it will least add some challenge and replayability to the gameplay. Thats... something.

Yeah.. From a gameplay perspective, I'm really hoping that future updates will make it more passable, for me. I didn't went too deep into it because I already went long as is and, again, I already knew to not expect much, gameplay-wise, so I guess I'm less burned, on that end..

WizardHazard posted...
-Original worlds are pathetically small which makes the game feel small.
-Disney Worlds are too big, it would've been better to have more of them even it means they're smaller.
-No Disney Bosses sucks.
-No Cup/FF boss fight sucks.
-Secret boss is bland.
-The game is way too easy, I can't even tell you the mechanics of the endgame bosses as I didn't need to dodge or block anything to kill them.

I agree with most of these. Honestly, while I'm always looking forward to seeing the "big monster boss" that is tied to a certain World, sometimes I feel like fighting a "human-sized" Villain is needed, and is actually better for a variety of reasons, even though Osaka team got better at this, I feel.

I also know very little of the Bosses' mechanics, but I've done just one playthrough so I guess I still leave a bit of the benefit of the doubt, on that, and will try to get more informed before making a final judgement. Gameplay certainly isn't as good as KH2, though, this much is obvious.

Wynvkius posted...
Try a level 1 play through [..]

Oh, don't get me wrong: I agree that a Level 1 playthrough is the best way to make the best and worst of the gameplay emerge; I will also say, though, that it should not be necessary to do that, and that those aspects pass through even without that mode; so I still feel like I can definitely say that this isn't as good as KH2 at least.

Again, though, I didn't went too deep into gameplay for a variety of reasons, but, yeah, I have quite a few gripes with that, as well.

Moongeist posted...
Yeah, I can understand. On the whole, I enjoyed it (although I did have some complaints throughout the game), it wasn't until the last few hours that I really got unhappy with it, but I can definitely see where you're coming from with a lot of these criticisms. After beating it I had to take a step back for a few days just to process how I felt about this game and my thoughts are that I can't begrudge the entire game for the last few hours, and overall I still really enjoyed it, just not the end.

I also know a lot of my issues were things not matching my expectations, which is on me. I think if I play through again (maybe after they add Critical and possibly other DLC), I can just play it for what it is and not what I was hoping it would be. Not that your complaints aren't valid, but I know I'll personally be able to judge it a bit better when I'm less overhyped and emotionally invested :p

Oh, for sure; I'm still fresh on all of this, and I know I'll have to "sleep on it" to really let all of it sink in; but, in general, I agree with what you're saying; I definitely overall enjoyed my time with the game up until the last Disney World. So, once again, I feel like we're on the same page 😁.
  1. Boards
  2. Kingdom Hearts III
  3. I... I am sorely disappointed
  • Topic Archived